↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4tdci weird starting issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
hornet

Marcus, even if the battery has already been replaced, it is possible that the clamping screw cannot be tightened properly or is partially loose. Be sure to check this (again). It could explain your erratic starting behaviour. Also, please pull out all relays under the seats and check the contacts.
Post #985538 14th Mar 2023 5:57pm
Marcus68

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
Thanks hornet for the suggestions but I have done this already & fitted copper sleeves to posts to make a real tight fit . Tried all the relay contacts & after doing the tests on relay, wiring,ignition switch etc the conclusion at the moment is it’s immobilised. Checking with another code reader tomorrow hopefully will throw some light on it . Cheers though for comments .
Post #985555 14th Mar 2023 7:38pm
Marcus68

Puma starting woes
Update on my defender starting issues. I received some pin data on checking 10AS wiring. On the grey plug apparently there should be a permanent ground & serial ground wire? There are definitely no earth wires in the loom going to these pin locations. Anyone know why this would be please ?
The central locking & interior light & immobiliser red flashing on dash seem to have shut down. Thinking it might have to go to landrover 😭
Post #986730 25th Mar 2023 8:26am
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm only going from memory here, so bear with me.
I had some issues with starting recently and if I'm honest, probably got myself in a muddle.
I do remember also thinking I had no earth on the pins, but rookie mistake, I was actually looking at the pinout from the wrong direction. I was testing the pins whilst looking into the plug, not from the back of the plug I seem to remember. Embarassed Apologies if you've already considered this.

Out of interest, what is the immobiliser light on the instrument cluster doing when its failing to start?
Post #986734 25th Mar 2023 9:10am
Marcus68

Thanks for your reply, I did double check I was looking at the diagram correctly, the led is not lighting up at all at the moment. I left it for a few days last week and didn’t even mess with anything. Walked past it noticed that it had locked itself & led was behaving as it should i swiftly got the keys , unlocked it with the fob & started it without any problems. Ended up pushing back into garage where it sits to this day . Fobs not doing anything led not lighting up & interior light not coming on when door opened.
Post #986736 25th Mar 2023 9:29am
Marcus68

One thing I have noticed when checking the power to & from as unit . I have battery voltage at the correct terminals but when checking green/slate wire from as unit to cluster - engine ecu it only shows 11.17 volts. Is it possible that the immobiliser is draining somehow? Electrical knowledge very limited I’m afraid. Any help comments very welcome 🙏
Post #986737 25th Mar 2023 9:38am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re: Puma starting woes
Marcus68 wrote:

The central locking & interior light & immobiliser red flashing on dash seem to have shut down. Thinking it might have to go to landrover 😭

While checking voltages I think you have a blown fuse now. Hence no power to the 10AS.
Post #986766 25th Mar 2023 2:54pm
Marcus68

I have power to the as unit but no led , interior light when door opened or central locking working . I will check fuses again but don’t think that is the issue. Thanks for help though.
Post #986786 25th Mar 2023 4:48pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There are a lot of not always obvious individual fuses associated with the alarm and central locking and blowing just one can cause some very strange effects, exactly as you're experiencing. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #986787 25th Mar 2023 5:05pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
During a recent 4000 km trip I had the same issue. Randomly the engine crancked for turn or so and that was it. So I decided to play with the fob locking and unlocking a few times. Actually it had this very same issue since new and I have no idea what is the cause. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #986879 26th Mar 2023 2:36pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Which fuses have you checked marcus68 ? Looking at the fuse box diagrams I can see there are two in the under seat fuse box, ID 10 (20A), ID 11 (15A), and one in the under dash fuse box , ID 16 (fuse 8 , 10A).
https://www.lrworkshop.com/electrics/defen...nd-headers

Also under dash fuses can sometimes loosen and due to gravity can cause an intermittent issue on some circuits, that could be the culprit for you original issue.

Else it’s likely to be a bad earth from one of your headers or an instrument cluster issue.
Post #986890 26th Mar 2023 4:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12