↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > 300 mile electric range caravan……..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

300 mile electric range caravan……..
This popped up in my youtube feed yesterday - I had to check that it wasn’t April 1 but looks like a motorised all electric caravan might be a way to reduce fuel consumption of the towing vehicle. Not sure how well the - price or lack of interior bulkheads will go down here.
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #985108 11th Mar 2023 6:55am
LR Nuts

No review of the caravan.

Just this woman talking to her partner and not to her audience. When he spoke, she was looking at him waiting for him to finish, so she could waffle-on.

Did I get that right ?
Post #985111 11th Mar 2023 8:22am
Tim in Scotland

I think there’s no review of the van because it’s still in prototype development. Yes her husband knows when he’s allowed to talk in most of the videos on their channel. I watch it because of their very interesting EV truck videos not for the caravanning - they have been running Ford F150 Lightening EV truck and a Rivian R1T both of which struggle to better 2m/kWh (about 80mpgE) without the load out back but struggle to better 1m/kWh when their very large Airstream is hooked on. - ok it’s in a different league size wise but even in the cold weather at the moment my Mini S E (the fully electric Mini) is getting 4-4.5 miles/kWhr which is in excess of 160 mpgE.
I found the video interest from the point of view that some ex Tesla people are even thinking about what is a motor assisted ‘van to aid fuel economy when towing. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #985122 11th Mar 2023 9:48am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
With a proper electronic control system it might be interesting, although I believe 101 FC tried powered gun carriages off the PTO with some 'interesting' results off road and I did see a video some time ago of an old Disco towing a caravan off road that was fitted with a driven axle / engine combo - built for a giggle if I remember correctly.
Post #985124 11th Mar 2023 10:27am
martinf

United Kingdom 
My farm tractor has a setting for the PTO for linking to a trailer with a live axle. I have never seen a trailer with a live axle but assume such trailers must exist.
Post #985157 11th Mar 2023 3:19pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
The problem with a powered trailer is that in a turn if the pulling vehicle loses traction (off road) and the trailer does not it can push the vehicle over.

Maybe not relevant on a road setup. But still when turning i can't imagine it be a nice feeling to have a trailer pushing you.
Post #985184 11th Mar 2023 7:01pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve asked that question on their comments section - let’s see if I get a reply! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #985239 12th Mar 2023 11:09am
LR Nuts

Tim, I'll bet the woman replies ... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #985242 12th Mar 2023 11:26am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Wouldn't the batteries or more to the point the weight of affect both nose weight and overall train weights?

So in that case the tow vehicle would have to be bigger and hence heavier, which will then be more expensive and once again EV ownership will be the preserve of the well off.

And how many charging points in the UK allow a towing vehicle to recharge without uncoupling the trailer first, let alone then charging the caravan all within the three hour time limit if at a motorway service station.

Finally as most leisure caravans are laid up over the autumn and winter months, many of which are in storage, how would the battery packs cope if not both charged and discharged for potentially six months of the year.

Guess we will find out or we wait for the reintroduction of the horse drawn version that runs on hay and fresh grass.
Post #985280 12th Mar 2023 4:48pm
Tim in Scotland

Part 2 - the woman doesn’t have so much to say in this one! Rolling with laughter
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #985411 13th Mar 2023 2:37pm
scotsstag

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
martinf wrote:
My farm tractor has a setting for the PTO for linking to a trailer with a live axle. I have never seen a trailer with a live axle but assume such trailers must exist.

What tractor is that? 04' 90 Td5 CSW..
Post #986100 19th Mar 2023 4:50pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: 300 mile electric range caravan……..
Tim in Scotland wrote:
This popped up in my youtube feed yesterday - I had to check that it wasn’t April 1 but looks like a motorised all electric caravan might be a way to reduce fuel consumption of the towing vehicle. Not sure how well the - price or lack of interior bulkheads will go down here.

I don't know if this is a good choice.

Generally speaking, light trailers are easier to handle and provide higher lioad capacities.

And the range is limiting the range of the towing vehicle.

Perhaps, it could be an option for electric cars ? if it isn't too heavy... Whistle
Post #988062 5th Apr 2023 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1