Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
engine refuses to start after changing fuel filter
Hi,
heres a bit more info

15P TD5 174K miles, this enging always starts.In the ~10 years we've had her, never let me down.

Having given her a service, all I had left to do was change the fuel filter, something I ve done loads of times.
Changed filter, turned ignition on, can her the pump going ... checked for fuel leaks ... switched engine off and sorted leaks from fuel filter ( drain plug on filtter had a rubber washer missing)
started her again ... no fuel leaks.... let her run for a few mins and then she just stopped. Won't start, wont even try.

Went through the priming sequence ( press pedal 5 times) a couple of times ... nope nothing.

The pump is filling the filter o.k. but not sure its getting the fuel to the fuel pressure regulator.

Take it next step would be to pull the pipe off the FPR and check fuel getting there ... then pull the pipe off the fuel cooler to check its coming back.

Assuming its an air lock somewhere, havent touched anything else.

Granted, it looks a bit messy around the FPR ( was replaced 5 or 6 years go) but would have been hell of a coincidence if something else went wrong coinciding with replacing the fuel filter.

Thoughts ?

Rgds Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #984495 5th Mar 2023 6:14pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
it might be something as simple as the little rubber o ring on the old filter has stuck on the filter head or the new filter is faulty and doesn't seal (not sure on the brand)

the filter heads also crack with age and let air in and fuel out but you would normally see that.
Post #984524 5th Mar 2023 8:04pm
jimmyvonk

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Sounds like something I had - Part WKB100330 Td5 Fuel Filter Air Bleed Valve - was full of crud, and the air was not bleeding from the system.

If you remove the valve bit and your back up and running, you just need to replace at some point when the part arrives.
Post #984527 5th Mar 2023 8:41pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I would buy a new fuel filter and start the process again. Could be a faulty filter.
Post #984553 6th Mar 2023 7:56am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I have simillar experience - it was only partly working in tank fuel pump - it was not delivering enough pressure to bleed engine. For first test measure supply current goint into the pump. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #984556 6th Mar 2023 9:00am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yep agree. If the system is free of air the fuel pump can fail and other than reduced power at the top end the engine can pull fuel and it all keeps working happily.

Introduce air or any other disturbance and without being able to bleed the system you're dead.
Post #984569 6th Mar 2023 11:21am
thinman21

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I had issues when 'some idiot' left the old fuel filter sealing washer on and fitted a new one with the new filter.

I had serious words with him, and he promised not to do it again (ahhh.... that would be me then....)

Other thing I found was priming the FPR (on my 2004 TD5) - only way it worked was to turn the ignition on and leave it 3-5 minutes, turn it off and do it again a total of 5 times

The other priming method just didn't work for me
Post #984651 7th Mar 2023 8:53am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Another thing is to have enough fuel in tank - 20 l was not always enough. And because it has more than one hose between fuel tank - fuel filter - engine, check against service manual, that they ale connected correctly. I have seen some cars with wrong connection and troubles to let them run again. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #984668 7th Mar 2023 10:23am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Many thanks for all the replies. It was in fact the fuel pump .. and angle grinder is your friend

Also found why i had trouble fittiong a rear ARB .... the tank cradle had rotted through and was sitting on the tow bar supports !

replacing the tank was a learning curve... the important one was dont spend £90 on the special tool to unscrew the riong on the pump... they apparently just break the plastic plugs

Took the tank and new pump to the people at lr-refurb-co.uk and they kindly removed the old pump and fitted the new one.( really was rusted solid )

After that weas reverse of removal, although was a bit worried when it didnt spring into life after the pump prime sequuence ... all i had to do was try again with foot flat to floor on gogo pedal and she sprang intoi life

Happy bunny
A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #988267 8th Apr 2023 2:47pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Bump start also worth considering if fuel pump is weak. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #988270 8th Apr 2023 4:14pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
yup, except, Effie was in front of the garage, so thats off the main road, up a 10 foot and the hard right to get to the garage. bit of a fight to get her round the corners to a position where we could bump start her Smile Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #988282 8th Apr 2023 5:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
alexatnd wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies. It was in fact the fuel pump .. and angle grinder is your friend

Also found why i had trouble fittiong a rear ARB .... the tank cradle had rotted through and was sitting on the tow bar supports !

replacing the tank was a learning curve... the important one was dont spend £90 on the special tool to unscrew the riong on the pump... they apparently just break the plastic plugs

Took the tank and new pump to the people at lr-refurb-co.uk and they kindly removed the old pump and fitted the new one.( really was rusted solid )

After that weas reverse of removal, although was a bit worried when it didnt spring into life after the pump prime sequuence ... all i had to do was try again with foot flat to floor on gogo pedal and she sprang intoi life

Happy bunny
A

yeah i have had to do the same job with mine early on in the year, Mine started been very underpowered, when you tried to go over 30mph. Fired over no bother, but as soon as you started to rev, it started to miss fire, and continue to do so. When me and my dad did the brakes, he said why not change the filter over, just in case there is something in it. So i did, went to do the priming sequence, couldnt hear the fuel pump at all. fired over and idled, but started to get very lumpy, gave it a blip, just to help it out, but it just died.
Said to my dad that fuel pumps died, so ordered a decent replacement unit, and a new cradle, mine had rotted to pieces too. What a barney me and my dad had getting the replacement stuff back on the tank. We had to drain the tank to get that back in place, and filled it back up again. Did the priming and it fired over after a few flicks with the key, just to get the fuel in the injectors.

I do have a feeling though, that the ECU doesn't really monitor the fuel pressure system like my Peugeot 306 HDI does. When fuel pump goes on that, it just shuts the car into limp mode, where with these, they just seem to drive until they do pack up like. But then again the Peugeot has two fuel pumps one in the tank, and the other in the engine bay. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #988417 10th Apr 2023 12:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1