↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > IN CAB WARN ZEON WINCH CONTROL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
IN CAB WARN ZEON WINCH CONTROL
Hi all... does anyone have a wiring diagram or something like it to put the controls of a warn zeon winch into the cab using carling switches... @steve_overland on Insta.
110 expedition vehicle with pop roof
Post #984155 2nd Mar 2023 11:01am
Steve_overland

im still trying to understand how to do this..... @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1030618 5th Apr 2024 12:26pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I don't know about the Zeon specifically Steve but any winch I've wired to the cab is basically 3 wires, power in to the switch and winch in and winch out back to the solenoid.
Power in will come from the supply terminal on the solenoid and winch in and out will go back to the relevant terminals on the solenoid.
On the mom-off-mom carling switch the power goes to the central terminal and in/out to either side of it along with back-light and earth.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1030621 5th Apr 2024 12:48pm
Steve_overland

cheers sir, I was guessing something like this, but wondered where in thereon stuff fits etc.... @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1030634 5th Apr 2024 1:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As an alternative you could consider a good wireless control, which has the advantage of working either within or without the vehicle.
Post #1030661 5th Apr 2024 3:38pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
On mine, Warn 9.5XP.

I relocated the solenoid pack to the near side wing, then moved the remote socket to the front of the offside wing above the headlight then piggy backed the wiring into the cab. The switches, winch in/out and isolator switch is fitted to the front of the Mobile Systems cubby box.

The isolator switch and location means that it can’t accidentally be activated but, when I do it’s where my left hand naturally is. The isolator also means that the wing remote is deactivated as well as it’s on the same wiring loom. I also have a kill switch to the battery, which needs to be turned on first.

The reason that I chose the front of the cubby box was when I had my 300tdi 110 I took part in a number of novice winch challenge events, when you are winching up a steep climb, I was pinned to the seat but I can still easily reach the remote switch and steer with my right hand without the distraction of the cable remote getting in the way.

That set up was on the 110 for eight years and then moved over to my 90 TD5 which I have now had for fourteen years. It’s been foolproof.

Somebody used to make an in cab switch panel but I can’t remember who.
Post #1030670 5th Apr 2024 4:49pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Re: IN CAB WARN ZEON WINCH CONTROL
Steve_overland wrote:
Hi all... does anyone have a wiring diagram or something like it to put the controls of a warn zeon winch into the cab using carling switches...

I have recently fitted a warn winch.. Think it was an evo... And whilst I left it as it was in terms of controls it does have a wireless remote feature but the instructions say that the wired remote fly lead should be removed to use the wireless control..
Only mentioning it in case a hard wired switch might prevent the use of the wireless control feature.. Not sure but might be worth checking if you wanted to make use or the wireless feature..
Post #1030719 6th Apr 2024 2:57pm
Steve_overland

Great shout Andy … will remember this @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1030773 6th Apr 2024 9:20pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I use 3 ways to control winches - manual switches on dash or roof console wireless remote and wired/cable switch.
For most use switches inside car are enough, just switch on winch isolator switch (some really big relay/solenoid co trolled by extra switch) and with the other swich you can work.
When I need to control switch outside of car, I just take the wireless, but first I must find is. Switches o dash cannot be lost.
For precious work outside or in areas with strong radio interferences, like oh hills with lot of radio transmitters, I use cable control. This is normaly hiden somewhere in back of car.
All of these can be operated together, but you need to think, what you do - it is not a good idea to use one control to spool out and another to spool in in the same time. It will not burn, but also will not work.
Winches can be operated also with ignition off, this is usefull onl, fort short burts, or when using winch in field for help with car repair. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1030796 7th Apr 2024 6:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1