Home > V8 P525 Area (L663) > Owner Opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 
Owner Opinion
Hi,

I've been an LR owner for over 20 years but have had two L405's back to back, from new, that have been horrendous.

I'm seriously considering a 90 V8 factory order and wondered whether I could ask how people have found them. There seems to be a lot of cars for sale on A/T and LR with very low mileage and while I understand some people buy them as an itch that needs scratching, there does seem to be a lot, spoke to a couple of dealers and when pushed about the previous owner, they all come out with the same line.... they bought it and decided it wasn't for them.

Does anyone know whether they're available with a body coloured roof from the factory, LR's configurator always seem to be for guidance, so when I bought D4 Landmark, I wanted a Loire Blue one, wasn't in the brochure, was told no, don't come in Blue, went to pick up my Sliver car and saw a Loire Blue Landmark being delivered.

Thanks in advance
Post #984049 1st Mar 2023 12:53pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
This sounds like modern JLR all over Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I've been in a 2.0L diesel 90 and a 5.0 (had driven the 2.0L). It wasn’t long term but a loan car for my fathers 68 RR SVR and I honestly do not see the appeal when being between the three almost back to back.

The interiors are ok but not that plush if that’s concerns you.
For the money I'd much rather get a 2 year old (if that) RR SVR if you’re after a vehicle with power, noise, presence etc.

But obviously its always subjective this sort of thing. Thumbs Up Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #984063 1st Mar 2023 2:58pm
Moo

Ukraine 
No Idea about a V8 90 but its a different beast to the L405. My D250 is very comfy and a good drive with good tech but I feel underwhelmed by it. The rear swing out door really bugs me and I miss a split tail gate.

Interested what you decide.
Post #984073 1st Mar 2023 3:57pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 
Understand that its going to be a different drive to the L405 but wanted to know how V8 owners find them as a whole. I felt very underwhelmed by both L405's especially when 3 dealers couldn't fix a coolant leak on one and LR Exec Office couldn't be bothered when the supplying dealer had been borrowing parts off my new car to fix customers cars.

Fuel economy doesn't bother me as I'm not going to be using it everyday.
Post #984081 1st Mar 2023 5:20pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Ive had an SVR, I'm on my 3rd new defender a v8 110. It's a great machine I prefer it to the SVR, as its quieter but still has a lovely exhaust note. When you personalise the driving mode you can have a lot of fun. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #984245 3rd Mar 2023 12:55am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Love mine, grows on me a bit more every time I drive it. It’s an amazing drive on road for such a large and high vehicle and the driving modes change it in just the way you want. Mine’s in Dynamic mode most of the time but comfort mode is just a tad more relaxing for the motorway without ‘floating’ at all.

The main reason there were a lot of used ones up for sale is generally they were being flipped for a large profit. Don’t know what they’re selling for now…..

Can you get an extended test drive?
Post #984708 7th Mar 2023 3:22pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 
Thanks Nick, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Any niggles?

I've owned everything except the Freelander, from a Puma 2.4 90 to the L405 and I've heard all sorts of figures mentioned from 65-84% of all current LR's for sale at LR dealers are buy backs. Before the L405's I wouldn't have believed it, now I'm beginning to think its a possibility and what prompted my question about there being a lot of sub 5k mile/1 owner cars listed.

Overall my experience with previous LR's has been brilliant and I'm sure it won't be long before they pull the plug on the Defender V8, so don't want to miss the boat.
Post #984716 7th Mar 2023 4:39pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
We just hit 12k miles in our P525 110, doing work commutes, towing and the usual weekend duties. Despite me being a 'hardcore' old-Defender user for 30y plus, the P525 is my go to option most days. Had a 2018 L494 SDV6 before (which was a fabulous and most of all extremely practical) neither me nor my wife would trade the P525 back. Fuel consumption ranges from 21-23mpg....and we are not slow drivers. Guess the only question is if the 90 suits you better than a 110.m
Post #984743 7th Mar 2023 9:02pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
AnotherMutley wrote:
Thanks Nick, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Any niggles?

I've owned everything except the Freelander, from a Puma 2.4 90 to the L405 and I've heard all sorts of figures mentioned from 65-84% of all current LR's for sale at LR dealers are buy backs. Before the L405's I wouldn't have believed it, now I'm beginning to think its a possibility and what prompted my question about there being a lot of sub 5k mile/1 owner cars listed.

Overall my experience with previous LR's has been brilliant and I'm sure it won't be long before they pull the plug on the Defender V8, so don't want to miss the boat.

Nothing serious. One wiper washer not working but pipe reroute sorted that quickly and currently bonnet won’t open with the lever unless someone else pushes down on the front edge. That will be sorted at the first service next month. Other than that it’s been great and I’m very pleased with it. Fingers crossed!
Post #984761 7th Mar 2023 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1