↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil service message.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gal Dove

Wales 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Oil service message.
Ok, hoping that someone on here can finally answer this for me. MY2014 Defender 2.2 Utility, do most of my own servicing. Changed the engine oil and oil filter last June '22. Only covered 2.5k miles since. Have just had 'Oil service' message appear on start up which disappears when engine starts.

I'm pretty sure that I would have reset the 'Oil service' message when I changed the oil & filter last June (by using the foot on brake, clutch down, etc method).

So my question is, does the message appear because the 'quality' of the oil (ie how much diesel is in it) is monitored and is found to be poor - having too much diesel in it...?

...or is this thing set on some sort of timer (which hasn't been reset, even though I'm sure that I did use the reset method above)

Car was first registered in May 2014. She's only covered 22k miles from new. She only ever does short runs, so this is what's worrying me.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up
Post #983887 27th Feb 2023 4:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Take a look at this thread and all will be revealed:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74776...ce+message Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #983888 27th Feb 2023 4:44pm
Gal Dove

Hi Darren,

Yes, thanks. Just realised that I also asked this same question last year !! Rolling Eyes

Anyway, despite all of the really useful info in that thread, I'm just fundamentally a bit worried that, despite being able to reset the message, will I be doing any damage to the engine if I don't change the engine oil again until June this year (which will be 12 months since the last change)?.

The engine can't be particularly worn as it's only done 22k and I'm struggling to get my head around that fact that the engine oil could have been diluted so much in such a short timeframe and such low mileage...?
Post #983889 27th Feb 2023 5:05pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
12 months between changes is totally acceptable if the car is not used that much. Even 2 years would be fine if the car is garaged (dry), but changing once a year is good practice and with 2 years you might loose track and forget.

I love changing oil, such a satisfying task, dirty out clean in. I even enjoy buying oil - getting the right type etc, but I don't understand why oil needs to be TWICE the price in Europe. My Beemer does the miles so I can enjoy twice a year. For the Td5 I have to wait till spring.
Post #983891 27th Feb 2023 5:19pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
The only definitive answer would be to send a sample of your oil for analysis. The lab should be able to establish the amount of dilution. But, it would probably be cheaper to just change the oil and filter Shocked
Changing the oil and filter more frequently will do no harm and may, however, set your mind at rest.
Post #983897 27th Feb 2023 5:49pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If you had the oil service message come up prior to your last oil change, then reset it after the oil change (following the correct procedure )AND the oil service message went away then you effectively reset the 12 months, 12,000 miles , and oil dilution counters to zero.

If the oil service message did not display prior to you changing your oil the only indication that the oil service message counters could have been reset is the red oil can flashes during the procedure and the oil service message does not come up within 12month or 12k miles since the previous oil change.

Therefore from the above I think the oil service message appearing in your case it is due to calculated oil dilution due to you doing many short trips. Why ? Because this is likely triggering lots of Active regenerations which add extra fuel to the mix to heat the exhaust to the high temperatures needed to burn off the soot in the DPF. And some of those active regens are not completing, both causing fuel dilution which has been calculated as hitting the 7% threshold.
Note - passive regens happen when a vehicle does longer higher speed runs that get the exhaust to the right temperature without the need for added fuel to raise that temperature.

So odd as it may seem you do need to change your oil and filter, and given you were going to do it in circa 3 months / 600miles time you might as well do it now for peace of mind.

In addition, have you ever had the Orange DPF light illuminate ? Given your many short journeys it is a potential likelihood. If you do make sure you go on a high speed long run to clear it. In fact if I were you I would go on a run that includes a 30min 70mph element once a month, just to keep everything clear. In doing so you will reduce the likelihood of the oil service message being triggered due to oil dilution within a 12 month period.
Post #983900 27th Feb 2023 6:09pm
Gal Dove

Hi Ianh. Thank you - that’s pretty clear and makes sense.
I’ve never had the PDF light come on. Would driving at lower speeds but in lower gears (3rd/4th) and therefore keeping the RPM higher, have the same effect as a longer journey at higher speeds?
Post #983921 27th Feb 2023 8:48pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It would as all you are doing is getting the exhaust hot enough for a passive regen. In fact one method of clearing an Amber DPF light is to go into low range and drive slower in higher gears as that keeps the revs up without needing to go at speed. However as you don’t have that issue you can stay in high range and drive in lower gears (3,4 or 5 depending on speed ) as you stated. Not all the time just say once a month to see if that helps with passive regens taking place.
Post #983923 27th Feb 2023 9:17pm
Gal Dove

Hi Ianh. Yes, thanks again. That would be the plan but, being a bit old fashioned and generally mechanically paranoid about most JLR products…. I think I’d probably do an oil change prior to running her at higher revs for any prolonged periods.
Incidentally, any pointers on engine oil? I generally buy a good quality low saps 10W/40 from my local motor factors.
Post #983930 27th Feb 2023 9:57pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Do your oil and filter change first, and then once a month do the run where you are at circa 3000 rpm for circa 20 mins, no need to go mad with the revs.

Re engine oil for the 2.2. This is the definitive topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic34176.html the key being meeting the correct specification - Ford's WSS-M2C-934-B Standard.

Personally I always use Millers XF Longlife C1. Millers are a quality brand but can be found at a reasonable price. I look for the best price on line and when I’ve spotted a very good price buy several 5 litre cans as you need nearly 7 litres per oil change and it reduces postage costs.

I do 5-6 k miles per year now but still change my oil twice a year. Over the top as at most every 6k miles is sufficient for anyone doing 12k miles a year. But given I do vehicle servicing myself and the current cost of diesel it’s tiny in the overall cost of running my defender. I also use genuine LR oil filters and sump plugs, which are quality and not expensive especially if you can get a discount at a dealer, I always ask for one and always seem to get one.

Given you don’t do many miles think on using Millers Oils EcoMax Diesel Power as a fuel additive each time you add diesel, that way your injectors, egr , glow plugs etc will be kept clean as well.
Post #983931 27th Feb 2023 11:53pm
Gal Dove

Hi Ianh.

Thanks, that's all really helpful - will look at doing all of the above, particularly interested in the diesel additive as I do such low mileage.

Do you go to any particular website (Amazon?) for these Millers products? Looks like the Millers website is doing the XF Premium C1 5W/30 for £37.99 for 5L (but not listed as Long life..?)

They do the Millers EcoMax Diesel Power for £16.99 - enough to treat 500 litres.

I'm guessing that it's essential that the oil is low SAPS?
Post #983948 28th Feb 2023 10:22am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Opie Oils, there is a club discount as well ‘DEF2’ Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #1027651 11th Mar 2024 5:11pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Here’s the link to the Opie Oils Millers oil for 2.2 engine:

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60261-millers...e-oil.aspx
Post #1027669 11th Mar 2024 7:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1