↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Inverter - How to earth?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lolo

Switzerland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Inverter - How to earth?
Dear all

I need your help as my electrical skills are limited. I am adding an 12v/220v inverter to my 12v setup.

The 2500w inverter located just above my leisure battery will be properly cabled wih 50mm2 and cable protected by a 250A breaker. Note also that the inverter has no charger feature and will not be hook to any shore power source.

What I can not figure out/understand is if it required to earth it or not, why yes or no, and if yes than how.

My inverter has a earth M5 bolt, here below on left side. Both output plug earth are connected internally to this earth bolt.

Click image to enlarge

Only two appliances will be connected to the inverter, each directly to one of the inverter output.

Should I connect this bolt to the chassis via a cable like here below, somewhere else, or not connect at all?

Click image to enlarge

Thank you for your help and expertise

Greetings Lolo
Post #980878 1st Feb 2023 10:30pm
Landowner

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Hi, is the earth lug also connected to the -ve (battery) input?
Post #980886 1st Feb 2023 11:07pm
lolo

No, not yet, might be, I admit that I do not know what to connect to what or nothing regarding this earth
Post #980888 1st Feb 2023 11:10pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
That's a big inverter, you must be powering something large!

Worth noting that 2500w from a 12v supply = 200+ Amps so will drain the battery in no time... 
Post #980891 1st Feb 2023 11:19pm
lolo

About daily 20min of portable induction cooktop + 5min of coffee machine on a 200A lithium battery. It will be ok... up to 57min Laughing But this still do answer on how to earth it or not...
Post #980894 1st Feb 2023 11:31pm
Landowner

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Yes, the lug should be connected to a good common earth point on the vehicle. Thumbs Up
Post #980910 2nd Feb 2023 7:22am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
In theory that is for sourcing a local earth when you are using mains from inside the vehicle and able to touch things outside the vehicle. So in practise that would be an earth rod.

In reality it depends... If all your loads are double insulated, then it's not anything to worry about. If you want to do some reading up, look at you local electrical standards for generators installed in vehicles.

It's possible (though not guaranteed) that the earth stud already has continuity to vehicle negative through it's case and possibly the negative battery lead.
Post #980931 2nd Feb 2023 11:49am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Just imagine damaged isolation on the output cable to you induction plate. Somethink like wire chaffing to car body because of long term vibrations. Without this grounding you can touch 230V on the car body, and this is really not healthy. This ground is not for power purposes, but for safety, so it will trip some fuse in the inverter instead you. And becasue it is for safety, in cannot be replaced by power ground connection between inverter - battery minus - car body. In case of car body to battery minus wire broke, inverter would still work, but the safety connection is gone.
For this power use thick ground wire - at least 6mm2.
Induction should have double insulation but I'll not trust this. Just imagine watter in the induction. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #980961 2nd Feb 2023 2:19pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
My 500 watt inverter is connected via the positive cable to a battery isolator, then to the second battery via a voltage sensitive relay. Nothing is left on unless I'm in the vehicle. The earth connection is connected to earth, which is by the second battery. Hope this helps.
Post #980968 2nd Feb 2023 3:16pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
miker wrote:
In theory that is for sourcing a local earth when you are using mains from inside the vehicle and able to touch things outside the vehicle. So in practise that would be an earth rod.

In reality it depends... If all your loads are double insulated, then it's not anything to worry about. If you want to do some reading up, look at you local electrical standards for generators installed in vehicles.

It's possible (though not guaranteed) that the earth stud already has continuity to vehicle negative through it's case and possibly the negative battery lead.

I am not convinced that is the case with a battery based inverter system. The voltage source is locally derived and totally separated from the ground plane by the vehicle tyres so there is no complete current path. Therefore there would be no touch voltage between the mains and the actual ground, it would be like holding the positive terminal of one battery and the negative of another battery, no actual current would flow.

Happy to be proved wrong though.... Very Happy 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #980978 2nd Feb 2023 3:56pm
lolo

Thank you all for your feedback and info. It is not an easy subject.

In my case I am not connected to shore power, my appliances are type I (plug with 3 poles, 1 phase, 1 neutral, 1 yellow/green earth wire), my inverter earth bolt is internally bound to earth cable of the two 220v outlets.

In short below what an electrician told me, at least what I have understood:

- inverter provides a floating neutral. Neutral is not connected to earth. There is no earth in the car. It is useless to add a Residual Circuit Device (RCD) as there is no earth.

- inverter case/chassis must never be connected to the vehicle chassis, this to avoid a mass loop and avoid to potentially inject 220v to 12v circuit in case of isolation fault.

- using the appliance from inside the car and being inside the car: no problem. In case of insulation fault, the earth cable of the type I appliance will bring the current back to the inverter, inverter (fuse) will blow and break the circuit.

- using the appliance from outside the car and touching the ground: problem. So in this case the inverter case/chassis or appliance case/chassis must be connected to an earth rod sticked into the ground.

- probability to have an insulation default on appliance in good condition is very low, but you never know.

I hope I have well understood. If not, I might become more brilliant than usual
Post #981210 4th Feb 2023 11:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1