Home > Technical > Puma doesnt want to start after winter sleep
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
felixp

Germany 
Puma doesnt want to start after winter sleep
Hi!

Im having troubles starting my 2011 Defender 110. I had it for over 3 years now and never had any problems before. It has run 70.000km - so good as new Smile

It was sitting in my garage since october and doesn't want to start. Before I left it there it was acting up, not wanting to start - turn the key nothing happens. Battery was good back then. After turning the ignition several times it would then start. Frustrated I parked it my garage over winter.

Now im trying to start it... which seems harder than it should.

1. Bought a new battery as I left the old one connected and drained it empty. New battery did not solve the problem. Engine would now crank to slowly but it would not start. Here is a video:

https://vimeo.com/795137675

2. I then checked all earthing points - still no start.
3. Relay is clicking under passenger seat (LHD)
4. I then bought a new starter motor from Bosch (what a pain to install that thing...) - still no start. But now the engine cranks way faster than before. But then suddenly cuts out. Here is another video:

https://vimeo.com/795138460

5. What I have not noticed before is that I can't lock the vehicle. When I try to lock it - it locks but then the blinkers come on and it unlocks again. As if something was still open. The red light however goes off once ignition is on.

Any ideas what it could be? Is it maybe a faulty immobilizer? if so would the engine then even crank as in my last video I was under the impression with a armed immobilizer it wouldn't event start to crank? Is there a easy way to check if its at fault?

Thanks for your input!!!

Last edited by felixp on 2nd Feb 2023 11:32am. Edited 5 times in total
Post #980914 2nd Feb 2023 8:41am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
If it is a 2.4, it may have leaked air into the fuel line, as the 2.4 is sucking fuel from the tank. Air in fuel will make it hard or impossible to start. I think you may find quite some instructions online on how to fuel bleed a 2.4 engine. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #980915 2nd Feb 2023 8:46am
felixp

Germany 
Yes it an 2.4. I thought about that too but wouldn't the engine crank longer trying to start with air in the fuel line? It only cranks for 2 seconds and then cuts out.
Post #980917 2nd Feb 2023 9:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think from the description it is more likely to be an immobiliser problem. Do you have access to a diagnostic tool such as Nanocom or IID?

It also sounds as though one of the doors (probably the drivers door) has a sticky lock mechanism and is not locking fully, this would cause the unlock (anything other door is unlikely to unlock the whole vehicle).

The next courses of action will rather depend on the technology you have available, ideally you would look for fault codes indicating an immobiliser problem, and probab;y disable the passive immobiliser to see if that solves the problem. I would suggest also checking that the main and starter relays under the front right seat are really secure in their sockets, a poor connection on these can cause all manner of slightly odd failure-to-start problems.
Post #980943 2nd Feb 2023 1:25pm
felixp

Germany 
Thanks! So I managed to sort the problem with the locking. Relearned the fob and now it locks/opens as usual. But problem still there.

I'll check the relays under the seat + have another good look at the earth connections.

I don't have a Nanocom - but that would be my next step.
Post #980949 2nd Feb 2023 1:46pm
felixp

Germany 
I solved the problem. It was bad earth between chassis and battery. Should have checked better the first time... Very Happy
Post #980976 2nd Feb 2023 3:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1