↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > SHAME ON YOU...!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
SHAME ON YOU...!
Actually this probably has little to do with the good people on this forum, but yet again it needs to be said out loud.

What is it that goes through peoples minds that they are OK with littering? It is not OK... It has never been OK and it will never be OK...

On Christmas morning I decided to get the family up early, before dawn, and to drive them to the top of the Wayfarer for sunrise, a walk and a hot chocolate.

It was a lovely pootle to the top, stunning views, Welsh weather Wink and I was looking forward to a cobweb removing walk up on the ridge line. What we were met by though was a summit littered with plastic wrappers, bottles, toilet roll and discarded clothing. With the wind it had spread over the summit and down the hill towards Glyn Ceriog.

Click image to enlarge

This is just in the last month or so... Such remarkable disrespect to the land owner, other users and the environment. Come on people, tread lightly, leave no sign you have even been there, it is not a difficult or time consuming practice. By all means feel free to drive these wonderful green lanes, in fact I encourage you to do so, but take your rubbish home with you. I am not asking you to litter pick on your day out, I realise some will consider this beneath them, but it takes no time whatsoever to pick up the plastic and dispose of it somewhere more appropriate.

The total amount of rubbish collected on Christmas morning was a little under 80 litres or two black bin bags full. If this doesn't boil your blood and you consider this to not be your problem then I am afraid you are the problem... Shame on you...! and I pity your children and their children because they will pay for your lack of respect, both personal and environmental.

Then there is the rider who thinks it is OK to shred the summit area, obviously not content with the entire length of the Wayfarer green lane. Shame on you too...! That damage will take decades to repair naturally, if not longer. And before you say "whatever" or you're talking bull... I am a geomorphologist and have spent years studying erosion and more often than not the absence of natural recovery... Stick to the established tracks or we will have the privilege to drive them taken away from us. If you think it will not happen you have obviously not been paying attention to the Rufford ford near Newark. Closed... TRO... and this is not the only one. We have lost tens of green lanes to TRO's in the last twenty years. Which green lane will be next? The Wayfarer?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The last thing I want to say is there is you do not have to stop for every piece of litter, but if you pick up just one piece on your day out, then another user does the same and so on and so on we might just be able to keep these remarkable places open and looking, well, remarkable. When you are preparing to go out for the day and you are packing your waterproofs, thermos of coffee and sandwiches chuck in a few black bin bags just in case you happen upon a sight like I did on Christmas morning. It only took 30 minutes out of the day to clear this site up and no-one is in such a rush whilst green laning that they cannot spend 30 minutes doing the right thing.

I have no doubt that you lot are exactly the sort of people that would fill a bag with litter if you came across it on a green lane, so this is obviously not aimed at you and do not take offence. This is partially a vent of my frustration and partly to highlight to users of the green lanes that it is not OK to litter and doing your bit to remove litter is the right thing to do.

See a wrapper - Pick it up - Bin It
Post #975866 28th Dec 2022 1:17pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Totally support you boiling blood rant, on Boxing Day I picked up a broken vodka bottle and put it in the bin that was 1, yes 1, yard away. On most dog walks we pick up litter, dog poo etc. The state of our motorway verges is unbelievably horrible.

The UK is overpopulated with self entitled disrespectful scum! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #975871 28th Dec 2022 1:57pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I think we litter pickers are the minority sadly. I have followed the recycling vehicle many times watching items blow out the back and the local council refuse to accept it’s a problem Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #975872 28th Dec 2022 2:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Every day, some times five times a day we walk the short distance from our house to our stables on the opposite side of the road. Virtually every time we pick up some litter, usually drinks cans or fast food packaging and all of this within 30 metres of a litter bin. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #975877 28th Dec 2022 2:47pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Geobloke,

Fantastic rant, support you all the way, I hate it. My wife does a regular litter pick on the local recreational grounds near us, but in the summer, it’s just as bad again by the next morning. I hate the broken bottle's, broken just for the fun of it, and yes, plenty of council bins available.

Quick question, is the Wayfarer open again then, it still shows as closed on Trailwise 2 ? One of my favourite routes,

Ashby Andy
Post #975883 28th Dec 2022 5:03pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Living in the burbs about 1 mile for Mac Donalds, KFC and other drive through establishments I am constantly picking up detrius thrown out of car windows.

Unfortunately there are no penalties imposed on this type of routine behaviour and it just escalates into other disrespectful activities.

Further it is usually the minority spoiling things for the majority, when the minority really need a good kick up the ass DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #975887 28th Dec 2022 5:22pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
You’ll never change the habits of some, just take comfort knowing that you can make a difference and keep hopeful that people seeing you may join you Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #975893 28th Dec 2022 7:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Totally in agreement with your rant - and as someone also commented, the state of the verges alongside motorways and trunk roads is terrible - the laybys are even worse. The country is a disgusting mess in places and its a real shame. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #976005 29th Dec 2022 8:07pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Went to Clevedon on Sunday (Down past Brizzle)

There is the open air sea water pool there, with about a 12' high wall behind it with the main footpath above. You should have seen the amount of old cans and smashed glass that Censored heads had chucked over (obviously from the NYE celebrations). totally mindless of the fact that people will be down there barefooted to go swimming.
Post #976631 4th Jan 2023 10:06am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Well done you Geobloke - perfectly justifiable rant - and my blood was boiling just reading it.

Some people are just selfish and horrible. They aren’t born like that. We won’t change it.

As others have said, what you have done has made a difference - and I’d like to think there are more of us like you that there are like them - which gives be some hope 👍
Post #978732 18th Jan 2023 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1