↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Electronic diff & TR2 vs Open diff & TR - Benefits?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JustCallMeMac

United Kingdom 
Electronic diff & TR2 vs Open diff & TR - Benefits?
I've spec'd and ordered a D300 X-Dynamic HSE with the electronic locking rear diff and TR2. (Part of the Towing pack) However a car has become available (cancelled order) without those options, i.e. it has the open, rear diff and the standard TR, with pretty much everything else as per my build.

I'm in no immediate rush for the car and am prepared to wait out the 6 - 9 months delivery quoted for my ideal spec, although I do have concerns that parts shortages and supply chain issues might affect what I end up with.

Car will be used for my daily cross-country commute, (which as it's farm country, is dirty, greasy and often flooded), as well as for the occasional off-road jaunt, although nothing too serious.

So my question is, will I miss the locking diff and TR2 if I do consider the cancelled order and regret not waiting for the spec I've ordered, or am I likely to not even notice it?

I've also read that TR2 is software-driven only and can be fully activated, even if it hasn't been specified. Is that accurate?

Cheers.
Post #978208 15th Jan 2023 4:29pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Unless you are planning extreme off road, visiting "pay and play" sites or the vehicle will be working on a farm, the standard specification will be all you ever need.

Even when used for the above, the standard vehicle works very well.

ln the eight years and 90,000 miles l did in my old Defender l think l used the centre diff lock twice.
Post #978212 15th Jan 2023 4:39pm
J77

Scotland 
All TR2 gives you is the option to let the vehicle select the best Terrain Response setting automatically.

Standard Defender more than up to the job of what you’re needing it for, save the waiting and take what’s on offer. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #978220 15th Jan 2023 5:19pm
Tim in Scotland

TR2 also gives you the facility to configure how you would like the diffs, gearbox, steering and throttle to react.

I know several owners who prefer to drive off-road in “Comfort” mode like it is an old Defender with just a transfer box, central diff lock and no TR programmes - drives just as well but the clever bits are not optimised to the conditions. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #978274 16th Jan 2023 8:33am
lightning

United Kingdom 
My base specification 90 Commercial has the option to set different modes such as Comfort, Eco, mud and ruts etc

Not that l've ever needed to use it.
Post #978275 16th Jan 2023 8:45am
XplusYplusZ

I asked the nerds at an LR Experience Centre for their opinion. In summary, they said without the rear diff, difficult terrain is still manageable, but it relies more heavily on the traction control system. In a squeeze, you'll likely still be able to progress, but it might not be as pretty without the rear diff.

There's a nice side by side comparison on YouTube by All New Defender Offroad (great channel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovIYNZCby84

In my opinion, what you can see demonstrated in the comparison video is:
1. More control from the car with the e-diff
2. But the single diff can still hold it's own on very challenging terrain.
3. You can also see how very minor differences in approach can make large impacts to overall success.

For me, personally, I am fairly sure if I get my (no e-diff) defender stuck, it's almost certainly going to be down to user error! And if you were to give me a vehicle with the e-diff, I would likely also get it stuck in the same situation.

I do feel a slight pang of inadequacy but only when comparing to other defenders with e-diffs, but it's mostly unnecessary. The above youtube clip gives me significant confidence that for the way I use my Defender, I don't need the e-diff.

As a side note, the snow and ice of last year was not a problem at all.
Post #978296 16th Jan 2023 10:51am
lightning

United Kingdom 
All these options are great to have, l would have liked the air suspension but l decided too late to change my build specification.

l am unlikely to ever trouble the off road capabilities of mine, although some of my customers are farmers and l definitely need a 4x4 during the winter months.
Post #978309 16th Jan 2023 11:20am
JustCallMeMac

United Kingdom 
Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.

Really interesting and useful information and very helpful.

Cheers!
Post #978310 16th Jan 2023 11:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1