↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Activity Key - any pros/cons?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ritson

France 
Activity Key - any pros/cons?
As, like many others, my MY22 was delivered with only one key I'm thinking about buying an Activity Key so I at least have a spare in case I lose or damage my only key. I'd probably only use it as a spare, but was wondering if anyone who has one has any observations about its practicality. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #966261 29th Sep 2022 6:26pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There's a good video on YouTube from PowerfulUK about the Activity Keys (although you may have problems getting hold of one of those as well!)
Post #966267 29th Sep 2022 8:03pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I really like mine - really handy for watersports use when I would normally have to lock the car and leave the keys somewhere out of sight in my old defender!

The battery doesn’t last as long as a ‘normal’ key - probably a week or so or use per recharge, but I didn’t think that’s too bad really…

Only downside from me is the charger is a little bit delicate with its magnetic connection system, would have preferred some kind of solid docking system which is more likely to stay connected in the car etc

Overall it’s great though! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #966279 30th Sep 2022 6:06am
Ritson

France 
Will review the Powerful UK video Thumbs Up

Cheshire - did you order your activity key after delivery of vehicle, if so did you need anything else? My dealer is unsure if I will have to also change a receiver module in the car to work with activity key as it wasn't supplied at time of delivery. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #966284 30th Sep 2022 7:47am
carsly

United States 2016 Defender 130 Other SW Auto Bali Blue
Also thinking about sourcing an activity key as a backup since I also only have one key. Can you program these yourself? Looks like it was possible with the older models, not sure about the current ones.
Post #977528 11th Jan 2023 1:06am
Tim in Scotland

As it appears that recently delivered cars are coming with 2 key fobs again and according to one of the FB groups lots of owners who took delivery with one fob are receiving the second one from their dealerships is it worth spending on the activity key If you only want to use it as a spare? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #977551 11th Jan 2023 11:15am
carsly

United States 2016 Defender 130 Other SW Auto Bali Blue
I suppose it depends on how many are "lots" as it seems in threads here waiting 10-12 months for a second key - while absurd - is not unusual. I picked up a 2023.5 130 First Edition two weeks ago - one smart key, one cut physical key (which is useless to start the car) and that's it. If anything happens to my one smart key I think I'm toast. No ETA provided on the second key or rear console power outlets (I have none).

I could wait, and wait, and wait, and hope nothing happens to my one key. But that seems like a bad idea. I retrofitted two USB-A ports, which are in ready supply it seems, to the center console for second-row passengers. Next up is the activity key. Go with whatever works for you, I'd prefer to have a backup option in case anything happens to my only key. Ideally, JLR would get into the 2020's and enable phone-as-a-key (PAK) so this wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Post #977605 11th Jan 2023 4:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1