↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Operator error, or needs looking at?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Operator error, or needs looking at?
On my Defender D250 the transmission generally works seamlessly and is very smooth.

However, if you are slowing down, or going very slowly with little or no throttle input (in traffic for instance) and press the gas pedal quickly down, the revs rise immediately and then the transmission engages with a "thud"

If you drive more smoothly, as in, press the gas pedal more slowly down, it's absolutely fine and barely notice the gear changes.

Now, l've never had an automatic transmission before and don't know if this needs looking at, or if it's operator error.

Pulling away from standstill is fine, floor it and the transmission shifts seamlessly. lt's just if you are moving slowly or slowing down and the transmission has shifted to a higher gear.

Then, if you apply the gas quickly the engine revs rise and the transmission will then engage with a "thud"
Post #976787 5th Jan 2023 3:18pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Sounds like the transmission maybe shifting down as you floor it. Maybe someone with a D250 could try and simulate flooring it from slow speed/light throttle and then comment. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #976790 5th Jan 2023 3:29pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes it does shift down, the revs shoot up to about 3,000 and then engages suddenly with a lurch and surge of power

lf you are more careful with the gas pedal it is smooth. l just need to know if this is normal as l've always had manual transmission

lt's actually better if you move the lever to the left "S" mode as it then doesn't keep selecting the highest gear possible
Post #976791 5th Jan 2023 3:47pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I think its normal all of mine have done this, there seems to be a certain combination of factors when it occurs. I notice it happens in slow traffic or narrow roads when you are slowing down to pull over to let the on coming car go past. Then the on coming car pulls over for you to go past them. As you accelerate it takes off quite abruptly. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #976850 5th Jan 2023 11:13pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I've driven lots of autos and feel my D250 behaves oddly. It holds on to the gears and revs high when other cars would have changed down, does odd things going down hill where you have to accelerate to get it to change down and some times clunks at low speeds.

I'm adapting to driving to it but it just seems odd.
Post #976854 6th Jan 2023 1:01am
J77

Scotland 
My 90 D200 used to clunk, it went in for a 2WD warning popping up on the dash, part of the fix was a transmission software update, after that it was fine.

Being honest though my D200 felt better than my D250, the D250 seems to hold gears a lot longer. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #976861 6th Jan 2023 6:51am
lightning

United Kingdom 
To update this thread, the transmission smoothed out over time. So now l've done 4,000 miles it's fine.

The dealer said that it's "learnt the type of driving that l do" but whatever, it's okay now.
Post #990021 23rd Apr 2023 7:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1