↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > What’s your economy like?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sw1ggy

What’s your economy like?
Hi All, just picked up my new P400e X-Dynamic HSE yesterday and wondering how people are getting on with their hybrid economy. Been pleasantly surprised so far, but have long 375 mile journey on Friday so will be interesting to see how it fares with a family of 5, 2 dogs and a roofbox! I’ve come from a P400 RRS (not Phev), so am hoping it’ll be better than my 26.5 mpg average, although it was a great car. [/u]
Post #975076 18th Dec 2022 7:46pm
Ritson

France 
Just drove 1,300km from Dordogne to Durham yesterday and averaged 25mpg. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #975096 19th Dec 2022 9:19am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Mid 20s over that distance from what I've read. Roof box will hurt.
Post #975113 19th Dec 2022 11:06am
Ritson

France 
Yes, i had the largest LR roof box on Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #975114 19th Dec 2022 11:08am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
You’ll struggle to beat the 26.5 on a long journey (I get mid 20s tops on the motorway) but on short journeys you’ll do very well if you charge it Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #975191 19th Dec 2022 11:23pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Lets us know how you get on Thumbs Up I recall a post on here of someone on a longer trip with loaded roof rack / kit & family in the low 20s. As such I think it can only be the drag that hurts the Defender. So the roof box is going to hurt.

Whilst its lighter than my BMW X545E (P400 110 long gone after being 10months late) its not so "slippery".
Post #975214 20th Dec 2022 9:07am
Sw1ggy

Journey complete in my new Defender - a very accomplished, stable motorway cruiser. I averaged around 25mpg (no roofbox), with one section of the journey with a headwind down at 22mpg and another section with a tailwind as high as 27mpg, cruising at around 76mph. However, I’ve now done 1100 miles since new, including the trip to Gloucester and back (about 750 miles of it) and I’ve averaged 30.6mpg, which is way better than the P400 RRS I had before, but way worse on a long journey! I’m still trying to figure out the most effective use of the electric on a long journey, started charged and deploy as usual for the first section, but then whether to use save to return the battery to 3/4 charge before using again, or just let it deploy electric as required as it recovers electrical energy. I did charge at a motorway services on way south - cost £5.65 and took around 30 mins to get from empty to 75%. I tried to save the electric aspect for the slow speed traffic jams / roadworks or through a town at the end, but I was surprised when in Save mode how quickly it did regen the battery charge. Any other views on most effective way would be great!

Other downsides, the boot space is reasonably limited, but it has a massive amount of rear seat space so the dogs are a little more squashed, but the kids (22,18 and 15) are much happier as are my ears! Interestingly, the rear space is about 4 inches less deep than the RRS but because of the vertical boot door, the dogs are better off!

Overall, I’m really pleased with it and my wife is extremely happy - I don’t find it nearly as engaging to drive as the Sport and using petrol seems a failure, luckily we have a charger at home which is shared with my wife’s Disco Sport P300e (she averages over 100mpg from her car, mainly used for commuting 22miles to work, recharges and returns home, plus running around town). But I still want something more engaging to drive…..am thinking about swapping her car! Defender L663 P400e X Dynamic HSE
Gone:
L494 RRS P400 HST
Disco 5 HSE Luxury
Disco 4 Landmark
Post #976130 31st Dec 2022 8:35am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I dont think thats too bad considering the high average speed Thumbs Up

Note sure I would bother charging at the motorway services based on the mile / kwh rate. I was overnighting (a few nights) at hotel accommodation and had the option of using a public charger. At 65p a kWh it certainly wasn't worth it.

As for way to use it....the car knows best. I've been through that in the past Thumbs Up
Post #976199 31st Dec 2022 6:03pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Interesting. I’ve got a D250 that has averaged 30.1 mpg in nearly 6000 miles including two high speed runs to Milan fully loaded with a roof rack.

Makes me wonder what the benefit / attraction of the 400e is other than around town if charged. Confused
Post #976210 31st Dec 2022 7:22pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Are the fuel consumption figures being quoted here real or from the computer please?
Post #976245 1st Jan 2023 9:58am
Sw1ggy

Mine are from the eco data screen onboard - I know they will be out from the true mpg but I assume that is by a constant, so as long as I continue to use that method, then it is all relative! Now at 31mpg over 1100 miles, always charged at home and some local running up to 25 miles with a breakdown of 760 miles at motorway speeds and 340 on local routes. I reckon my longer term breakdown will be around 25% on motorways, so I expect fuel economy to get to mid 30s.

Moo - reD250 economy, well am already matching that and petrol is about 20-25% cheaper at the moment too! Equally, I’m sure none of us buy Land Rovers for their fuel economy, but after a D300 Disco5, was put off diesel by the constant ad blue top ups and the regen problems associated with diesels, and I’ve never looked back!

However, the economy for the P400e is entirely dependent on the use case and with the mix of driving I do, it seemed the best option and far more economic than any of the petrol options. Defender L663 P400e X Dynamic HSE
Gone:
L494 RRS P400 HST
Disco 5 HSE Luxury
Disco 4 Landmark
Post #976340 2nd Jan 2023 8:10am
Tim in Scotland

I use the Fuelly.com fuel monitoring website to keep the records of every drop of diesel my cars use, unfortunately it doesn’t work so well for recording electric consumption but you can select a PHEV version of Defender in the set-up.
Here is my record for the last 12 months for my D240 110 First Edition - no roof rack/box no towing BUT every entry less than 27 mpg is usually for a tank full with a lot of low ratio use.Www.fuelly.com

Click image to enlarge

Here are the records for some of the other cars i’ve owned or rented (Toyota Corolla Estate self charging hybrid in Norway this summer)

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #976347 2nd Jan 2023 9:13am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Crumbs..... that D240 is heavy on juice. Whistle
Post #976402 2nd Jan 2023 5:03pm
Badeagle

England 
I got 38mpg in my D250 on a 320 mile trip to Cumbria with a fair amount of traffic at the M25 end
Post #976427 2nd Jan 2023 7:17pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ll find out if the D250 is any better in late February or early March when my new D250 90 HSE arrives.
There is a caveat for mine though - it does a lot of low ratio off-road work and next to no motorway work compared to many - a regular feature of low ratio days is 8-10mpg……… in colder weather pre-conditioning using the remote start consumes about 0.5ltr each time I use it too, and it’s had a lot of use this winter! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #976433 2nd Jan 2023 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>