↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Trailer Wire Harness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jhollow

Canada 
Trailer Wire Harness
Based on the research and threads I have read I am assuming I should have a trailer wiring harness behind the passenger side rear tail lights? It's an '06 90.

Below is a picture of a wiring loom that I assume houses the harness? The second pic shows a panel held in place by 2 screws, and you can see the loom passes up behind it. Is this the only place to access the wiring? I took the one larger light off and there is just a small access hole, but I can see the loom.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2006 90 originally registered in Italy
Post #976079 30th Dec 2022 3:54pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
yes, that is where I found my trailer socket. Wasnt too bad to access . Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #976081 30th Dec 2022 4:26pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Yeah, if you remove the black plastic rubber shield you’ll find the plug clipped onto a little bracket 👍
Post #976089 30th Dec 2022 5:43pm
Jhollow

Canada 
Great. Thank you for the replies and confirmation. I'll remove the panel to see what sort of socket it has, if there is one. 2006 90 originally registered in Italy
Post #976094 30th Dec 2022 6:25pm
Jhollow

Canada 
So this is the plug I found behind the panel, which I assume is the trailer plug. So how do I get from this, what appears to be a 13 pin plug (?) to what we use here on the other side of the pond. That being either a 4 pin or 7 pin plug (I posted pics of both)? I'm hoping there is some harness that converts one to the other? Is there anything else that needs to be done? Appreciate the assistance.

Oh ya, can someone post a pic of how they mounted their hitch plug. I'm looking for ideas. Thanks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #976272 1st Jan 2023 3:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That is the harness connector for the trailer socket, and it contains all the wires needed for a standard European (EC) 7-pin socket, but not for a 13-pin socket. It is not an easy connector to find the matching part for, and probably the two sensible options are to buy a (genuine or aftermarket) trailer socket harness with the matching connector and modify it, noting that they are far from cheap, or to cut that connector off the vehicle harness and replace it with something that it is easier to connect to. My 110 (which was pre-owned when I bought it) had had this done, and it caused me no small amount of trouble since the replacement bullet connectors had been bodged quite nastily.

Landrover surprisingly provided a designed place for the trailer socket on the rear crossmember, but it is one which for some inexplicable reason few people seem to use. The "correct" place is shown in the photo below, but it may not suite your strange Canadian sockets!

Click image to enlarge
Post #976278 1st Jan 2023 4:38pm
Jhollow

Canada 
Thanks Blackwolf. How is the socket secured to the rear frame in the location you show as being correct?

Doing some more research I found part # YWJ101500, which is suppose to be for all TD5 Defenders up to 2007. Apparently this is suppose to click into the existing harness plug at the back. Has anyone tried one of these?

Post #976469 3rd Jan 2023 12:05am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That is the correct type of harness for a European 7-pin socket and is what is (or should have been) used on most recent (Td5 on) Defenders. You could replace the 7-pin socket with one to suit your trailer. I thought that the Td5 and Puma used the same part, but don't take my word for it, the harness connector may be different.

My socket is bolted in place, which requires three small holes to be drilled.
Post #976470 3rd Jan 2023 12:24am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yes such a blessing that. Plug and play. No complicated CANBUS decoders etc... Just works!
Post #976514 3rd Jan 2023 11:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1