↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Is it better to go similar or totally different
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Is it better to go similar or totally different
So about 6 months ago our dog passed away, at the same time a more or less identical dog appeared at the local shelter.

We resisted at the time, and decided to have a few months without a dog. But time has come to get a dog, the one that was at the shelter is still there, and I feel like it would be good to take him. Though others say get a totally different type of dog.

In reality I would like at least two but that’s another story and then needing to introduce one to the other etc.

What’s your thoughts guys. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #973381 4th Dec 2022 3:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I sit in the similar camp. Last dog was Bess the trick colour border collie, affectionately known as the Bess dog in the World. Such a lovely soul. Passed reaching for a piece of sausage at the kitchen table. We think she's still Censored up in Heaven having never finished the sausage... Rolling with laughter Anyway...

After about a year we had the same discussion and decided on another Collie, a Welsh Collie but a grey merle. He's a superb dog a real character. It was the right choice for us. So much so that we took on his half sister a few years later, a red merle.

So, not like Bess, but similar enough to fit our needs Thumbs Up
Post #973382 4th Dec 2022 3:46pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
In the last 50 years we have only ever been without a dog for a few months. We are now on our 9th Briard (French sheepdog), some of them from puppies other have been rescued. I'm sure the dog in the local shelter would love to have a caring home so go where your heart is. Let us all know what you decide. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #973383 4th Dec 2022 4:23pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"In reality I would like at least two.."

One dog can be trained to be an obedient, faithful companion. Two dogs or more (especially unknown "shelter" dogs - they're there for a reason) will almost always become an unruly noisy pack. Not that their owners seem to notice: in the same way smokers can't smell their own clothes, some owners are oblivious to their dog's yapping.

Peter
Post #973386 4th Dec 2022 4:54pm
Race.it

Thanks guys.

Let’s see what happens next week. When I say two prob not new at the same time, get one then after it’s settled get another and hope some good manners rub off on the new one.

It’s always an adventure Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #973388 4th Dec 2022 5:12pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If the shelter dog seems good natured and has no history of issues, then rescue him/her and give him/her a new home.

I think that's more important than the type/breed.

We lost our 14 year old Vizsla a few months back and are in a similar position. I think I would prefer to give a deserving shelter dog a home over paying a small fortune for another pedigree Vizsla.
Post #973399 4th Dec 2022 6:09pm
Race.it

Just to finish this off the shelter dog will be picked up in the next week (or earlier) he is full of energy and I get the feeling a little loco Smile

Totally different character to the old dog (but my life will be turned up side down again for a while). Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #975246 20th Dec 2022 1:34pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well done I am sure you will have a great life together Thumbs Up
Post #975249 20th Dec 2022 1:49pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
we've just got another Labrador, its my 4th and i won't ever be with out.
Post #975252 20th Dec 2022 1:53pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Most of our dogs have been rescues and whilst some have been slightly challenging they have all been lovely temperament and wouldn't change a thing......
Post #975303 20th Dec 2022 7:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
They are a mega miss, when they have been part of the family for many years. we never had any pets for about one year, after losing a cat and losing our British bull dog.

We got our selves a border collie, and he was with us till back end of 2018.
Me and my dad brought him back from Oban, to sunderland. I remember holding him for the very 1st time, him sniffing at me, and making a wine. Sat him on my Knee that night, and he was happy. On the way home, the next day though, on our way back home, the poor thing wouldn't drink any water at all. We were like bloody hell! Drink something little fella! it was a 5 hour drive. Grew into a right legend, The fun we had, getting him and the new kitten to settle with each other, the following year. They did settle, and were more than happy to chase each other. The dog used to " herd the cat" and would go and look for him, if i asked where is that ginger boy?! Make noise if he found him. Laughing This went on till the very end of his years. How old age just hit him that year in 2018, the previous year, he was running around the field at the help the heroes. After his passing, my mam was looking at other dogs, she was not sure on getting a husky or a bearded collie. For some reason they ended up going for the bearded collie.
He is worlds a part from the boarder collie we had. Prince was very laid back and stubborn, this one jasper, is very vocal, ( yaps at anything that moves, and goes on like a spoilt brat, if you take his toy)
When we lost Tigger the ginger cat, we got another Cat, a mainecoon, called Zeus. Tigger was very vocal and purred all the time. Zeus, jus very, very laid back for a cat, and it very rarely purrs, goes on your lap etc. Just goes up in its tree thing and looks down at you with its yellow eyes.

We couldn't get the same dog again, or colour cat, it just wouldn't feel right. My heart started pumping, when a border collie came up to me, not long after we lost prince, to throw his ball. The memories came flooding back to me. Tigger was very ginger, identical to the one from Aliens. It wouldnt be right in getting another ginger cat, and calling him or her me gingers, So we opted for a black cat and mainecoon this time.

Prince ( me gusts nicked named by me, from his scottish routes, Fort Augustus) ( 10 years ago with my kid sister)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tigger ( ak Me gingers)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Jasper ( little nose, due to him having a small nose compared to prince)
odd, looking at him there, you wouldn't think it he was a bearded collie.

Click image to enlarge

what he is now ( still not sure if he is actually a beardied collie, but a crossed with a Tibetan Terrier and a border collie)

Click image to enlarge

Zeus,

Click image to enlarge

yeah he does give you some looks, Laughing

Click image to enlarge

I hope you and your new pal have some great adventures together, also no harm in bringing some old habits back. ( i used to give prince my takeaway scraps, which is now passed on to jasper, probably why his fringe grows the way it does Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #975320 21st Dec 2022 12:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1