↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Replacement Bulkhead experiences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Replacement Bulkhead experiences
Has anyone had on here had replacement Bulkheads lately?

I'm trying to decide between a Maer SS or a Shielder Galvinised replacement....
Not sure if there are any others?

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #973086 1st Dec 2022 3:33pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I've got a shielder bulkhead for the 200Tdi. Heres how it came out....

I do not know how this could have happened.

(I am not currently the one restoring the vehicle btw. So, if you've got any questions still ask it'll just be a while before I can probably answer them.)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #973092 1st Dec 2022 4:07pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Looks like they supplied you an early bulkhead judging by the vent size being early smaller type....😕 Working towards Carry on camping!

Last edited by Andy80 on 1st Dec 2022 6:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #973097 1st Dec 2022 4:36pm
LJMARSDEN

Well isnt that just lovely Big Cry Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #973103 1st Dec 2022 5:59pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
the vent is the much older type pre defender.....

there is a reason folk dont fit them.....google

not seen the maer one

we've fitted an ultra one its not bad but not perfect and should be better for the cost of it.
simple things like the windscreen wiper spindles dont fit as they dont have the recess on the metalwork for them to sit correctly. when you ring they know about it and say grind your new bulkhead.....not ideal and maybe they will improve it as they keep making them.

anyways we have one of the new Richards one due soon to go on a mates 200 tdi. i've seen the pre production ones and happy to spend the cash on one. they have asked for feedback and pictures when we build it which says a lot we think.
Post #973126 1st Dec 2022 8:44pm
donmacn

It's all a bit depressing isn't it? Don't take something to the market unless it's absolutely correct and ready. Getting dodgy bulkheads is akin to having customers do your beta testing - I know it happens with software etc - but with a bulkhead you can see the damn thing. Copy it. Simples. Even if you have to take a new one apart to see how it's made, it's called product development.

OK - rant over. I've done this job twice in the past with genuine bulkheads. Still not 'simple' but a whole lot easier than it is now.

I'm currently helping a friend replace his. We started with a Shielder - poor, poor. We've changed to an Ultra - which (having spoken to the maker) is still disappointingly poor, but much better than the Shielder.

I happened to speak to a guy, about two or three months ago who'd bought 3 Shielder ones. He'd taken the time to fit them in a jig, record/write up the faults and pass them on to the Shielder makers - and no apparent change.

Like others I haven't seen the Maer version. My genuine (Td5 made to fit a Tdi) bulkhead was galvanised locally and fitted by me in 2008. Still in A1 condition. If it was me, I'd look for the best used bulkhead I could find, either repair it myself (though I'd have to learn to weld) or pay someone good to do it, then get it galved. Until the current crop of suppliers really get their act together, I truly think this is the best option. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #973133 1st Dec 2022 9:56pm
LJMARSDEN

Pity because we requested precisely a 1991 200Tdi Bulkhead & I believe we got the chassis from them at the same time.... Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #973154 2nd Dec 2022 7:01am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I used a Bearmach one, which I believe it was made in Turkey. Apparently they are universal, so there may be holes to drill and some brackets to fit which I was warned of this by the supplier. I had no problems apart from a few bits at the top which were bent in transit, which wasn't a problem.

It was not galvanized, which having read alot about, I decided was the safest way of getting a new bulkhead, as apparently galvanizing can twist things if they're not braced properly and I didn't want that risk. I've painted it well and sprayed half a gallon on waxoyl inside, so hopefully it will last.

I should add that although it came with vents I blanked them off . I also fitted a different dashboard so can't comment on that aspect, but it wasn't twisted and everything lined up otherwise. It also had the largest bell housing opening, for a 300 tdi I think, which was also fine as I was fitting an automatic gearbox with my own custom metal tunnel.

My approach is do whatever research you can, then pick what you think is right for you, then hope it works. If it doesn't fit then make it fit, nothing's perfect.

Click image to enlarge
Post #973155 2nd Dec 2022 7:04am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Watching with interest. Its so disappointing people will sell things that obviously aren't right.
Post #973159 2nd Dec 2022 8:09am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Get a genuine one and blast/galv it if you can, at least you know it will fit then and all the bits will be in the right place.
Post #973176 2nd Dec 2022 10:51am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
donmacn wrote:
It's all a bit depressing isn't it? Don't take something to the market unless it's absolutely correct and ready.

Sorry had a good chuckle at this. If LR had done what you are suggesting then we'd never have ended up with the Defender, nor on this forum Rolling with laughter
Post #973184 2nd Dec 2022 11:34am
MattH268

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
I have an Ashtree Galv Bulkhead fitted to my 300tdi. They get some pretty poor and mixed reviews, I'm also not even sure if they are still trading. Strathearn Engineering that fitted it for me didn't seem to have any issues with it, everything lines up maybe it was just luck. 300tdi 90 CSW
2.2tdci 110 HCPU
1972 Series 3 88" Truck Cab
Post #973363 4th Dec 2022 11:40am
sidewinder

LJMARSDEN wrote:
Pity because we requested precisely a 1991 200Tdi Bulkhead & I believe we got the chassis from them at the same time....

The bulkheads changed part way through the 200tdi production from small vent to large vent..
I have just fitted a galvanized bulkhead to my 1989. It was originally a 2.5DT, so had the smaller vents. I obtained a 200tdi original one that I repaired and galvanized myself prior to fitting. Unfortunately I realised I had a later one when I went to fit the dash top and had the opposite problem to you. There are a couple of other minor differences like metal v aluminium vent fly screens and a couple of hole locations.

Happy to swap dash tops if you would like (too much effort to swap bulkheads!😂)

S
Post #974012 9th Dec 2022 8:10am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Dash vents changed during turbo diesel production @89 MY
Post #974029 9th Dec 2022 10:30am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Made the mistake of buying a Sheilder about 4 years ago when nothing else was available, what a total mess nothing aligned correctly. The wings would have to be fitted 15mm lower on the bulkhead to clear the bottom edge of the bonnet, no dash fixing holes were in the correct position. The vent openings had big gaps on the corners of the sealing flange. Contacted them and found the owner was constantly in meetings! Eventually was offered a replacement or £500 compensation
Post #974030 9th Dec 2022 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>