↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Auto Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I guess you did not a good experience with them?
Post #968476 20th Oct 2022 8:15pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I would give Dave A a ring and see about a test drive. Theirs is compushift. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #968480 20th Oct 2022 9:03pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I have a zf 4speed ( which is really like a 5 speed, as when it locks up in 4th gear, the revs drop around 200rpm). It's not as smooth as my other more modern mercedes automatic cars, which are 5 speed ( and are now considered old ) but in my opinion its much better than changing gear with a clutch.

Driven softly it is very smooth. My advice would be to get a drive in a discovery 2 as that's where the gearbox comes from and feels much the same, although it's computer controlled.

My zf4 is a rebuilt hydraulic type, therefore has no electronic control, which works well behind the mercedes engine in my 110.

Overall it drives just as well as a the discovery 2 V8 which donated the transmission, but goes better!

I think what has to be considered when comparing features of modern cars is that most of us don't have the skill or oppertunity to exploit the full benefits of their technically superior engineering anyway.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the 5 speed in my old merc, so why do I need a 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed? How would I even know if it's better?
Post #969521 31st Oct 2022 9:20am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Mark, don't know the cost but this: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic85488.html
Post #970189 6th Nov 2022 9:38pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
MarkBrown wrote:

I think what has to be considered when comparing features of modern cars is that most of us don't have the skill or oppertunity to exploit the full benefits of their technically superior engineering anyway.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the 5 speed in my old merc, so why do I need a 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed? How would I even know if it's better?

The majority of the reasons for car manufacturers going above 6 speed autos is fuel economy. Beyond a good 6 speed auto like the ZF, there really is no driving reward for adding extra cogs. The fuel economy gains at average road speeds are worthwhile, hence the gradual increase.
Post #970224 7th Nov 2022 10:56am
LR Sam

England 
Hi Walfy,

Agreed with comments above. The ZF4 is a good way of getting an automatic Defender. It isn't like a new style auto but you will be happy if you go for it. It is also ultra reliable from my experience having fitted quite a few.

6 speed from JE - the only one I drove didn't work well with a puma engine, it ended up changing gear too often so you never really got to use the torque of the engine. This must have been 5 years ago or so, they might well have improved it.

If you are keeping standard LR engine, I would be tempted to go ZF4 speed from ashcroft as it has been tested/fitted by so many people.
Post #970231 7th Nov 2022 12:01pm
Andy McPandy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have the JE autobox and I have found it excellent. Agreed it's an expensive piece of kit but it works really well.
Post #973101 1st Dec 2022 6:54pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Belize Green
I've had an Ashcroft 4 speed auto in my TD5 90 for the last 15 years and yes it's not as refined as a modern electronic auto but we are talking about a Defender which is not exactly up to modern refinement standards anyway. I've done about 70k since the conversion and have never regretted it and would not go back to manual again
Post #973111 1st Dec 2022 7:23pm
walfy

Just a quick update, I'm ever hopeful my 110 sells and this proves to be a pointless task for me but if it doesn't sell I'll need to move fast as my company year end loms quickly and I need to spend some money or give a load to the robber, sorry HMRC man.

Anyway, I've asked a fellow forumer to look at his JE version, I'll then need to find someone close to me with an Ashcroft version to look at or it's a long drive to see them.

I mailed a couple of companys about doing the conversion as well. 1 responded but they were stacked out and wouldn't commit, another new kid on the block with a flashy youtube channel doing Defender builds haven't even responded. So they are now out of the picture even if they do respond now. A bit late after a month of me sending an enquiry.

So even if mine does sell hopefully any info I post will be of use to someone in the future 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #973486 5th Dec 2022 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12