↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Adding ad hoc increase to dual battery capacity. Solar?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Adding ad hoc increase to dual battery capacity. Solar?
I have a simple split charge system primarily to run my ARB 47l fridge. It can easily run the fridge in warm weather for 2-3 days which is usually more than sufficient for my needs. To be fair I’ve never actually run it until the fridge cuts off as I don’t like to stress the battery. However, I’ve got a trip coming next year where I may need up to 4 to 5 days on one occasion. What are my (low cost) options? This isn’t going to be a regular requirement.

I don’t have room for a bigger battery. I could just change it, see how long the fridge runs for before it cuts off and then use it like cool box for the remaining couple of days.

I could run the engine for a bit, but for how long to get sufficient charge back into system? Itsis not very friendly to my fellow campers but doable.

Get a stand alone solar panel? What size (it could be cloudy the whole time)? Do I need a charge controller? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #971965 22nd Nov 2022 8:08am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
for occasional use we take a spare battery (not always a leisure oe but normally is as they last longer) and run that until its flat and then will run the truck every day for a short while to top the vehicle batteries up if were in the same place for a few days.

we take a ctek charger with us and if were on a camp site we usually can top up the spare battery.
Post #971975 22nd Nov 2022 9:26am
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
I bought a 100w solar panel and control box off eBay years ago.

Wired it direct to second battery for trip to Ireland.

It is a cheap unit but you can regulate it to stop the battery running low. Did it as a quick option to power fridge, worked fine.

Planning a proper system soon.
Post #971976 22nd Nov 2022 9:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1