↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake caliper paint
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
A bit off topic, but I see in the 1st post by Blackwolf, the calipers were split.
I might have to slit some early (41mm pistons) soon (pistons do not look too seized), and found seals 17H8764L. I am assuming these go between the 2 halves. But description say from HA, while my 90 is an EA.
Anyone knows if the earlier calipers take a different size/partnumber of seal. I do not want to split and then find that I cannot get hold of the correct seals. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #967092 8th Oct 2022 4:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The gallery seals on Defender calipers are something of a black art, and it really isn't possible to know what is in them until you take them apart and look. Plain disc calipers each have a single square section seal (rather like a square section O-ring) of a material that looks like nitrile, whilst ventilated discs have a tube of the same section and material with a reinforcing metal tube inserted in the centre. The tubular seal fits right through the spacing block between the caliper halves, so again each caliper has only one seal assembly. I do have a vague recollection of reading about some type of ventilated disc caliper which has two of the thin seals, one for each side of the spacer, but this could be my mind playing tricks.

It is highly likely that unless your calipers are prehistoric or have been dismantled before you will be able to reuse the existing gallery seals at least once.
Post #967101 8th Oct 2022 6:33pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Thank you Blackwolf for the detailed explanation.
I do not believe my calipers have ever been split, not in my ownership, and I bought it when it was relatively new. Is it easy to fit the metal retaining rings without splitting?

Edit. Need to add that these calipers will be having their 35 year birthday soon, so unsure if they fall in the prehistoric category Laughing . But a quick visual inspection show that are in generally better condition compared to the 10 year olds I have on the Puma Big Cry . 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #967105 8th Oct 2022 6:55pm
Marky5522

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Corris Grey
If you are not in a panic to get them fitted you could have them powder coated a nice sedate colour and if done correctly will outlast any paint especially if you are heavy handed and regular with the pressure washer.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #970542 9th Nov 2022 8:24pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
My concerns with powder coating on calipers is the heat generated during braking: since powder coating is a polymer process that uses heat to "cure" or flow the polymer to a smooth(ish) coating.

Reheating or overheating can either cause the coating to degrade, soften or melt.

Brakes can get suprisingly hot in use, normaly it is transitional heating; cool- heat spike-cool so you normally don't really notice the heating since the disc, pad, and caliper soak up the heat, transfer to the wheel, hub, and other bits and them cool in the airflow. But extened breaking/lack of cooling airflow can lead to heat build up. since calipers are close to that heat source a 2 pack curing or solvent loss paint process is advised. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #970545 9th Nov 2022 8:53pm
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have just had a tin of por-15 silver caliper paint turn up today for my 2pot mini calipers. Supposed to be really good but we will see! 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #970557 9th Nov 2022 10:19pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Marky, very smart.
Mr James, what colour? I have some yellow kicking about. But I’m thinking of going down the Foliatec route which also have excellent reviews. I can’t bl**dy decide. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #970590 10th Nov 2022 8:50am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Marky5522 wrote:
If you are not in a panic to get them fitted you could have them powder coated a nice sedate colour

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Why on Earth would you want them to be sedate in colour Wink Brighter the better...

In truth I didn't think clappers could be powder coated.
Post #970599 10th Nov 2022 10:00am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
Marky, very smart.
Mr James, what colour? I have some yellow kicking about. But I’m thinking of going down the Foliatec route which also have excellent reviews. I can’t bl**dy decide. Big Cry

The Foliatec paint is what I used on Miffy's calibers and looks good. Time will tell regarding longevity...

For me it was a case of being able to do the job now and the paint could be delivered to middle of nowhere north Wales...
Post #970600 10th Nov 2022 10:02am
Marky5522

The world is full of opinion, theory and self proclaimed knowledge but after 10k miles, 3 years and never leaving the drive without her 2200kg ifor Williams on the back, this is how that powder coating looks this morning 😊. Like most things if it’s prepped right and done right it will look right and last well. I must confess though I have mechanical perfection issues so my pads are removed and caliper pistons checked at least 2x a year just as a past time and for cleaning of course 😂.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #970608 10th Nov 2022 10:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Stunning Marky5522. Love the powder coated Boost alloys too. Rather envious of them. Mine are looking decidedly paint-less these days... Rolling Eyes

I wonder if they can be powder coated in silver rather than black. Something about silver Boosts Rolling Eyes
Post #970609 10th Nov 2022 11:01am
Marky5522

You should have no trouble getting silver only problem will be deciding which of the 50 shades of silver you prefer 😊 powder can even be matched to paint colours these days.
Post #970647 10th Nov 2022 4:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh no it'll be like trying to decide what shade of white to paint the walls with... Rolling Eyes
Post #970648 10th Nov 2022 4:44pm
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
Marky, very smart.
Mr James, what colour? I have some yellow kicking about. But I’m thinking of going down the Foliatec route which also have excellent reviews. I can’t bl**dy decide. Big Cry

I ordered silver, and doing one caliper tomorrow. I really wanted the original ap lockheed pasivate gold colour but every gold paint i've ever seen looks horrible. 15 years ago I painted them with halfords caliper yellow which was awfull. then halfords caliper black which was okish. 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #970698 10th Nov 2022 10:29pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Marky5522 wrote:
The world is full of opinion, theory and self proclaimed knowledge but after 10k miles, 3 years and never leaving the drive without her 2200kg ifor Williams on the back, this is how that powder coating looks this morning 😊. Like most things if it’s prepped right and done right it will look right and last well. I must confess though I have mechanical perfection issues so my pads are removed and caliper pistons checked at least 2x a year just as a past time and for cleaning of course 😂.

Marky552 - I had no intention to disparage or knock the quality, workmanship or finish on your calipers. If there was any hurt then I apologise for this since this was not my intent.

As a chartered chemist who has worked formulating powder coatings, I know the quality has a very wide range, application is a lot less forgiving than paint coatings, and temperature resistance is also less forgiving.

Again I apologise. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #970828 11th Nov 2022 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>