↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma engine/transmission
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bustduster

Puma engine/transmission
I have a 110 XS bought new in June 2008, now with around 5k miles on the clock, and would welcome any helpful comments on the following:

1. When accelerating away from standstill, a fairly loud "pinking" (similar to a petrol engine running on too lean a mix) or mild "knocking" can be heard, being particularly bad between 1500-2000 RPM. There is no "pinking" when revving the engine whilst stationary. Before going back to the dealer I'd appreciate some sort of informed opinion before I'm likely too be told it's normal!

2. Sometimes when changing gear there is a "clunk" that appears to be in the clutch/drivetrain (not sure) especially when changing up and pressing the accelerator after releasing the clutch pedal. It can happen intermittently in any gear but generally more often when exiting a motorway at the sliproad/roundabout when it feels more like clutch judder. Again has anyone had any experience of this?

3. There is a slight "whine" from the rear when I take my foot off the accelerator at around 70 mph on the motorway, disappearing approaching 45 mph. Is this normal?

4. After a fairly long run (in excess of 90 mins) there is a knocking noise which appears to be coming from the front end. This is also evident in stop/start traffic (M25 car park) when coming to a stop. Happens when in gear with clutch depressed or in neutral. Dealer has had a crack at a fix (front brake caliper pins), it is still a problem, but only after a long run and not on short journeys. Tried using handbrake over the last yard or so and knocking is then twice as bad. I have heard of this problem before but not sure if it has finally has been sorted.

5. For those of you with leaks in the footwell, the dealer did find a bad seal where the heater pipes enter the cabin, which resulted in wet carpets, floorpan and excessive condensation dripping from the sunroof on colder mornings. This problem seems to have been resolved, but there is a minor problem of water sitting on the rubber mats after it has been left out in continuous light rain. No sign of water when opening the doors but once underway water runs on to mats from the metal channel at the bottom of, and behind, the dash. It appears to be held there until moving off dislodges it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Post #9663 13th Apr 2009 7:10pm
Pob

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Rimini Red
I have point 3 with mine and I am told it's normal/common. My mates does it and he has thousands of miles on his now with no issues.
Post #9666 13th Apr 2009 9:06pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Point 4: It is likely to be your handbrake. There is an issue with some of them being "out of round". I have the same problem on mine - as you coast to a stop you get a chuntering in the transmission.
If you bring it to a stop on the handbrake (which vibrates like hell), it tends to clear up for a while.

The dealers tend to try and adjust the handbrake by slackening it off. Don't settle for that - the only fix is a new drum.

I'm going to give the dealer one more go at mine. If they don't resolve it then I'm going to fit an X-brake and ensure that they agree to warranty the rest of the drive train. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #9669 13th Apr 2009 9:57pm
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
I think point 1 and 2 may be normal (I get them on mine). Point 4 have a look at the entry by Sticky dated 1st Jan 2009 and titled Strange 'clunking' noise when you come off the power. I had this a couple of times but it seems to have stopped.
Post #9671 13th Apr 2009 10:11pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic233.html Thumbs Up

1 Sorry cant help

2 Front CV excessive wear

3 Rear Diff issues.

4 Front CV excessive wear

5 Get a hose on it, Its probably the windscreen rubber.

Front CV
Park the car on a slight slope facing up the slope, Let the car roll backwards slowly without the engine started. Get a mate to listen and watch the each wheel rotate. If the a CV joint has gone the wheel will stop rotating for a split second as it then rotates again you will hear a clunk. Obviously do this in a safe place Thumbs Up

Check the rear prop bolts, the 4 on the park brake drum sometimes work loose.
Post #9677 14th Apr 2009 9:28am
bustduster

Thanks to all for your replies. Good to know we're not alone out there! Will discuss queries with dealer at first service and report back. On a more positive note I have to say I find that the Puma makes an excellent long distance tourer for camping/towing. Recently done two fairly long round trips without missing a beat. One of the best I've experienced for feeling fresh and without backache after a long stint even though over six foot.
Post #9697 14th Apr 2009 10:26pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
bustduster

point 1 - I know exactly what you mean and would love to tell you I have the answer - but I'm afraid I don't.
Please let me know if you get it resolved.

With mine it tends to happen less when its cold? And it's a 50/50 thing, sometimes it runs as sweet as a nut and other times not?

Neutral
Post #9881 18th Apr 2009 12:10am
gtveloce65

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
I recognise most of these:

1) I get the pinking noise and am told it is typical for the engine - in fact as I started mentioning it the service engineer said 'like pinking in a petrol engine?'. I've flagged it for the record and will monitor, but it's been exactly the same for the last since new (7,500 miles)

2) I've had the revised clutch fitted and this hasn't addressed transmission clunk or shunt. Appears to be noise from the gearbox and back axle, but again, I've flagged it and will get it looked at next service if it gets any worse. Many people have reported loose UJ bolts, so it would be worth checking - mine were fine.

3) I too have the slight whine, but this does seem to be generally accepted as a feature. I would never have heard it in the Td5 above the engine and other noise...

4) I had significant front brake pad rattle when new and this was resolved early on. however, there's also a post somewhere on the site (can't find it just now) about concerns about the front output shaft which may cause the knocking when coming to a halt in neutral

5) I had problems with my old Td5 - turned out to be the seal for the windscreen joiner plates. The water was coming off the end of the gutter below the screen, onto the top of the covers and then leaking through failed seals and through the bolt-holes. Resolved by guy Salmon. The Tdci leaked slightly when new (ie, within week of delivery) but has never leaked since... 1953 80
1965 Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Sprint
1980 Fiat 124 Spider
2008 110xs
Post #10016 21st Apr 2009 6:02pm
Caterham

so the service guy recognised the sound. surely isn't typical as mine doesn't do it all time?
if it can sound sweet as a nut some of the time then surely it should all of the time?
I can't help but think its doing some long term damage.?
Post #10038 21st Apr 2009 10:09pm
bustduster

gtveloce65

re: point 4. When your front brake pad rattle was resolved early on did they explain what they did to fix it?
Post #10267 27th Apr 2009 11:04pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
bustduster wrote:
gtveloce65

re: point 4. When your front brake pad rattle was resolved early on did they explain what they did to fix it?

Could be this:
Quote:
Action: Please do not replace the brake pads or calipers for any of the conditions
above as there will be no improvement in audible quality. Ensure all brake caliper and suspension fixings are secure and the noise is not generated from another component on the vehicle.
A Technical Service Bulletin will be issued shortly to rectify the concern for noise produced by the front brakes only. If the noise appears to be from the rear brakes, please continue to submit ePQRs so that Engineering can carry out further evaluation.
 Mike
Post #10268 27th Apr 2009 11:36pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Caterham,
I have to agree with you, especially regarding any damage being done. As an engineer in the vehicle development business, I have to beleive that all the clunking and banging must affect fatigue life and durability. Currently I'm having difficulty not ranting incessantly at the dealer about this. They acknowledge a problem, or problems, and I need to keep them on my side. It's b****y Land Rover, who think it's all quite normal ("it's characteristic of the marque Sir!"). Maybe on a 10 year old Defender, but not one that's just come out of the showroom so to speak. Has anyone else come up against an impenetrable barrier at LR Customer relations, if so, how?
Bosun.
Post #10269 28th Apr 2009 7:17am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Quote:
Has anyone else come up against an impenetrable barrier at LR Customer relations, if so, how?

Er yes!

Go higher!
Post #10270 28th Apr 2009 8:03am
Caterham

I had a chat with the nice Land Rover assist guy the other day (problem with the power steering fluid - well lack of actually due to a pipe off the pump coming loose - but thats another story).

anyway reading between the lines he didn't think the pinking noise was normal and after chatting to him about the recall on the fuel tank breather he went straight to the fuel filter and drained it off a bit. I had another go later and was amazed at the amount of what appeared to be silt come out of it.....

I'll be in touch with the dealer in due course.

But this sort of thing ain't going to help the thing to run smoothly. However I still believe there's a sensor / switch / electronic problem with the pinking. If I wasn't so impressed with how smooth it CAN be sometimes I probably wouldn't be so concerned. But if it can be great some of the time then surely it should be all of the time - if you know what I mean. Confused
Post #10272 28th Apr 2009 8:40am
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
The Boy,

Yes I know, but how do I go higher? Any correspondence with LR Customer Relations just goes to someone calling themselves a "Customer Relations Executive", whatever that might be. Silly me, a CRE must be another name for a brick wall in LR speak. I've come to the conclusion, to be effective, any correspondence needs be addressed to an individual (one that has some clout!).
Bosun
Post #10279 28th Apr 2009 9:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>