Home > Puma (Tdci) > Off road tyres for winter and summer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Off road tyres for winter and summer
Hi,

I have an issue in that my land rover came with bog standard general grabbers which do have the m+s on the side. From reading other threads these seem to be barely adequate for the snow and mud I want to be able to go through being much more at home on the road.

I have narrowed it down to the Cooper Discoverer STT's or the Insa Turbo Special tracks but I have no idea which one is better and even if they are any good when it comes to how they will endure over time as I would like to keep the grabbers for general road use but be able to put my mud munchers on when I wanna get muddy and stuck. This means that they could sit n the garage for a bit which I've heard can be the end of some 'cheap' compound tyre.

Please cam someone advise which would be better to live with, or if I am in the wrong ball park completely and need some completely different tyres? I have read reviews on both of the above tyres and cannot get a reliable conclusion.

Many thanks in advance

Steve Thumbs Up
Post #96829 28th Oct 2011 8:11pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've got bfg MT they are great. They are a little noisey but I've done 34k on them and there's still plenty tread left. I find they hold the road better than the grabbers.
Post #96836 28th Oct 2011 8:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Insa Turbo are pretty good tyres but they're remoulds, so won't last as long as the Coopers. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #96838 28th Oct 2011 8:33pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Thanks rob, I looked into the BFG's but they are damn expensive. I'd like to keep the grabbers for road use as no sense throwing good rubber away. Depending on the wear of these maybe the grabbers are worth their price Very Happy

Darren, thanks for the info as I saw on the net that they were remoulds but was hoping that they were of the same kind of compounds so didn't really matter that they were 2nd mould. Bit like a re-soled pair of shoes perfectly good, but are a little old. If they are going to wear out quicker then maybe I'll steer clear and go with the discoverers.

Does anyone know how long off road tyres will last if only used for occasional off roaring and during the winter as they will likely be sat in the garage for a few months at a time and I've heard that it can play havoc with tyres (sidewalk splits and brittle rubber)
Post #96854 28th Oct 2011 10:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1