↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Went to see one in Dubai yesterday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Went to see one in Dubai yesterday
Went to have a look at one in Dubai yesterday. They have a pre-production model at Adamas motors. Adamas appears to have the UAE contract, and have 3 showrooms covering Abu Dhabi etc. They had this one on show for a few days.

The sales guy said they sold all their initial allocation of 200 vehicles, They asked for more allocations and have nearly sold all those!

I was more impressed than I expected to be. It does look and feel like a modernised and upgraded version of my 110...

I'm looking to order one I think. Having N1 road tax (£290 IIRC like my existing 110 ??? ) will be a big bonus...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Load area much better than I expected!

Click image to enlarge

And I really liked the rear door functions...

Click image to enlarge

The fact it's all GALVANISED is another huge tick.

Overall very impressed

I didn't get to drive it, but here it is on show earlier (if you think "it's changed colour" - it had, it's been "wrapped" in white, it was originally "Magic Mushroom" colour and you can see if you look closely the original colour can be seen round the door frames):

The hardest part will be parting with my beloved 110

Click image to enlarge

Cheers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #967389 12th Oct 2022 6:24am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
There is no doubt it is a very familiar looking vehicle. It will be interesting to see how it progresses. Just not overly fond of the skull cap style bonnet. But the barn doors are genius.
Post #967405 12th Oct 2022 8:49am
camelman

United Kingdom 
If its N1, don't forget it will be subject to the lower van speed limits as its too heavy for dual purpose vehicle status. 
Post #967406 12th Oct 2022 9:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^ True, but a small price to pay.
Post #967410 12th Oct 2022 9:29am
MartinK

camelman wrote:
If its N1, don't forget it will be subject to the lower van speed limits as its too heavy for dual purpose vehicle status.

I'm with Blackwolf - not been a problem on my current 110, which is N1. The only time I'm remotely concerned is on the A9, with the average speed cameras, but even then with the lorries and slower vehicles I rarely get to break the speed limit anyway! Wink

I've had my 110 since new, over 11 years, so I've saved about £3k in road tax! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #967412 12th Oct 2022 9:35am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Your current 110 is light enough to qualify as a dual-purpose vehicle and so despite being N1, it's allowed to use car speed limits. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #967416 12th Oct 2022 9:55am
MartinK

^ thanks true Darren but I tend to think that over 65mph the right hand pedal becomes a "volume control" rather than an accelerator Smile I'm happy dawdling TBH, if I want speed I have my motorcycles... (and until recently I had other cars on the drive but since taking VR I just use my motorcycles as daily transport) Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #967418 12th Oct 2022 10:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The cost of fuel and the relationship between speed and consumption is a more effective speed limiter than the law now! Laughing

Speeding in a defender has become a self-penalising activity now, hit yourself in your own pocket automatically.
Post #967424 12th Oct 2022 10:54am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
geobloke wrote:
There is no doubt it is a very familiar looking vehicle. It will be interesting to see how it progresses. Just not overly fond of the skull cap style bonnet. But the barn doors are genius.

I quite like the vehicle but not too keen on the bonnet shape either. All the other panels are more or less flat with small rounded corners, would look better if it was flatter rather than dome shaped. I guess that's due to the height of the power unit. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #967427 12th Oct 2022 11:54am
MartinK

One interesting thing about the shape of the bonnet, it allows really good visibility - better than my 110. You can see the corners, and also can see the ground nearer than in the Defenders we love... I was also a bit sceptical about the bonnet shape, but it worked (for me at least) in the flesh, both from the outside and from within.

If you haven't guessed I am a bit smitten!

Specced up a similar spec Defender earlier, its a few grand more than the Grenadier. Sadly the new defender seems to have an electrically powered steering wheel adjustment (and other daft things I will never use) that I failed to find how to delete on the LR configurator... It was less than 10% more expensive than my specced Grenadier so it would not be a deal breaker (maybe haggle at the dealership would fix that) but I'm much more drawn to the Grenadier. It seems much closer to the older Defenders we love Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #967429 12th Oct 2022 12:02pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
One interesting thing about the shape of the bonnet, it allows really good visibility - better than my 110. You can see the corners, and also can see the ground nearer than in the Defenders we love... I was also a bit sceptical about the bonnet shape, but it worked (for me at least) in the flesh, both from the outside and from within.

If you haven't guessed I am a bit smitten!

Specced up a similar spec Defender earlier, its a few grand more than the Grenadier. Sadly the new defender seems to have an electrically powered steering wheel adjustment (and other daft things I will never use) that I failed to find how to delete on the LR configurator... It was less than 10% more expensive than my specced Grenadier so it would not be a deal breaker (maybe haggle at the dealership would fix that) but I'm much more drawn to the Grenadier. It seems much closer to the older Defenders we love

Interesting Martin. Having not seen or sat in one I am only going by the images. Mind you I have never thought that the disability in the old Defender was bad, in fact the opposite is often the case when stepping in to another vehicle. It will be good to get my hands on one eventually Smile

It is no secret that I do not like the new Defender and that is not that I do not appreciate them, phenomenal piece of tech to be honest, it is just that perhaps they should have been badged as a Discovery. No offence to all of you that have one, or despite LR's yo-yo waiting list are trying to get one, they are just not my cup-o-tea Rolling Eyes

I just wonder if the Grenadier is going to be the success some of us hope it will be and not like the Santana PS-10 which has fizzled out in to obscurity. Time will tell I guess.
Post #967431 12th Oct 2022 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1