Home > Expedition & Overland > NC 500
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
NC 500

Click image to enlarge

I've just completed the NC 500 in my Defender 110 with roof top tent. Below are a few notes from that experience that I hope might help others who are considering a similar trip.

The Guide
========

North Coast 500 by Robbie Roams
ISBN 978-1399925525

This is the best guide book out a several I purchased.

When To Go
=========

If you can avoid the peak season of July and August you will miss the log jams on the single track roads, full parking and the infamous Highland Biting Midge. Spring or Autumn is the best time to the road trip, the weather is always a gamble no matter what the time of year; this is Northern Scotland, there will be plenty of weather.

Where To Stay
===========

There are plenty of B&B but very few restaurants and cafes. Breakfast is guaranteed but lunch and dinner will be challenging. There are some pod / lodge type accommodation which include a kitchen so you can be more self sufficient. There are a few hotels which vary from the truly luxurious to Fawtly Towers. The best option is camping, there are plenty of campsites with full facilities and spectacular sea views. This option gives you the greatest flexibility, you can stop for a picnic lunch anywhere except passing spaces and always get a table for dinner. Of course when you do find a restaurant you can take a night off from cooking.

What To Drive
==========

If you choose the camping option for accommodation, you can hire a camper van, put a tent in the car or put a tent on the roof of your car.

There is a lot of single track with passing places roads and these have suffered with the popularity of the NC 500 resulting in epic pot holes and frayed edges. The larger roads also have their fair share of poor surfaces, think comfort not speed. When I did the NC 500 I saw and heard reports of numerous shredded tyres and broken alloy wheels. I would not take anything sporty with low profile tyres and fragile expensive alloy wheels. An old Land Rover Defender is the ideal vehicle but I’m a bit biased here. However, the elevated driving position provides excellent views over walls and hedges to see the scenery and oncoming traffic, sheep and cows. The rugged suspension and tyres will not be damaged if you hit a pot hole or slip off the edge of the crumbling tarmac. If you go with a camper van, think small. Big vans will not fit down the smaller roads and you’ll miss the best scenery, something like a VW T6 is what you need.

Which Direction
============

Clockwise or anti clockwise, that is the question. The East and Northern Coasts are both a bit dull, save the best until last and go anti clockwise. If you’re not bothered about getting to John o Groats and Dunnet Head, you can skip the whole North East section and take the A838 through Lairg.

Deviations
========

If you’re driving up to Inverness go through the Cairngorms and take some specular scenery in before you start. Glenshee and Cock Bridge to Tomintoul are passes that are well worth the drive.

A short distance to the East of Inverness is the Culloden battlefield, well worth a visit either at the start or the end of the NC 500.

Going anti clockwise on the NC 500 start off with a little detour through the Black Isle. There’s some great scenery, a brewery and the possibility of spotting dolphins along the coast. Take time to have a stroll through Cromarty and possibly have lunch in one of the cafes. Rejoin the NC 500 by taking the small ferry across; this does not run all year.

From Lochinver do not follow the A837, instead follow the cost road south and join the A835 at Drumrunie. This is why you don’t want a large camper van.

After Applecross and the infamous Bealach na Ba pass continue south to Kyle of Lochaish and cross the bridge to Skye. The pass is not that bad but not passable in anything larger than a VW T6.

Highlights
=======

These are the places I visited that I though were special. There are many places I did not visit that could also be very special.

Black Isle
Cromarty
Latheronwheel Harbour
Castle of Mey
Bydand Restaurant, Thurso
Strathy Beach
The Store Cafe & Bar, Bettyhill
Coldbackie Bay ///treaties.riot.wriggled (4x4 only)
Sango Sands Campsite
Sandwood Bay
Kylesku Hotel & Restaurant
Clachtoll Beach campsite
The Torridon Hotel
Post #966655 4th Oct 2022 3:50pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Black Isle brewery do some cracking beers! Great write up but we need pics!
Post #966675 4th Oct 2022 5:27pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Smoo Cave on the North Coast. Loch Eriboll also up there has some fantastic history. Durness and Cape Wrath all great places to stop off. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #966681 4th Oct 2022 6:25pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Co1 wrote:

Pictures here https://adobe.ly/3SEO6e4
Post #966686 4th Oct 2022 6:50pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
what a wonderful trip. thanks for taking the time to write it up and sharing pictures! Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #966690 4th Oct 2022 6:57pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great write up and stunning photos!! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #966691 4th Oct 2022 7:06pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Loved the NC500 and would jump in my truck and do it again in a heart beat Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We nipped over to Orkney also Smile

Thumbs Up
Post #966692 4th Oct 2022 7:07pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
steveww wrote:
Co1 wrote:

Pictures here https://adobe.ly/3SEO6e4

Cracking pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Post #966694 4th Oct 2022 7:41pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Lots of really good advice in the post re, when to go, what to take, accommodation and eating out.
The only thing I'd add is, if you're not bothered about saying "I've driven the 500" just stick to the West Coast, anywhere from Kintyre to Durness. Or get on the ferry to Orkney.
Ferrys to anywhere will make the journey infinitely more interesting.* Thumbs Up

* assuming they're running, best not to mention it north of the border. Whistle
Post #966699 4th Oct 2022 8:19pm
Bobtailkev

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Hi Steveww,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailed post- you really have provided a wealth of information.

Very many thanks,

Kevin
Post #966818 5th Oct 2022 7:35pm
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Great post, thanks for sharing! NC500 is on my bucket list twice. Once in a comfy car such as my BMW (spring/summer) and once in my Defender (any time of year but due to capability, autumn or winter would suit me). 2003 90 TD5 Hardtop
Post #967156 9th Oct 2022 11:19am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Our last "NC500" type road trip was as follows:

Driving North, we overnighted in Kendal (stayed at the Eagle & Child LA8 9LP), Fort William (Moorings Hotel PH33 7LY), drove from Fort William to Kishorn, Shieldaig, Fearnmore, Applecross, Kishorn, Shieldaig (Kishorn and Shieldaig twice as it's better driving anticlockwise for better views over the Bealach na Bà), then Torridon (The Torridon Inn IV22 2EY), Elphin, Clashnessie, Drumbeg, Laxford Bridge, Durness to Melvich (Melvich Hotel KW14 7YJ), then Dunnet Head, John O’Groats, Dornoch, Nairn, Glenlivet, Tomintoul (Glentorets B & B AB37 9HU), then Glen Cova, to Melrose for four nights (Burts Hotel TD6 9PN).

On the way back Whitby, the White Horse & Griffin Y022 4BH an absolute must...

Oh, nothing as rugged as a Defender, we took the Morgan!

Peter
Post #967162 9th Oct 2022 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1