Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Defderico

France 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alaska White
Hello Ianh, Hello Macfrank

I did your process without any changes
Nothing new on the Nanocom

I also checked the OBD port and saw some cable (pink, orange, green, blue and 2 black)

P.S : I plugged my Nanocom on my TD5 2022 and checked the CAN bus. As for my TD4 the CAN Low is"not responding"

@Macfrank : how can I check the CAN bus? Can you give me a short explanation?

Once again many thanks for your help

regards

Click image to enlarge
Post #965976 25th Sep 2022 9:55pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Here s a link to the OBD2 port wiring diagram for the 2.4 https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/...tic-socket

As a first check

If you disconnect the battery, then disconnect the plugs on the engine ECU and on the instrument cluster you can test the continuity/ resistance between the green can low wire on the OBD2 connector and the green wires on the ECU connector and instrument cluster connector see diagram for PIN numbers . Compare the resistance to the working can high blue wire.

Also have a good look at the connectors on the cables and on the ECU and instrument cluster as well to see if they are clean, and a squirt of electrical contact cleaner won’t hurt on the cable connectors. Just let it evaporate before reconnecting.

Also visually check any wiring you can see for a break in insulation, kinks, breaks etc.

If the wiring checks out ok for continuity and resistance then it may be the instrument cluster has a dry joint / pcb issue that’s impacting the can low bus as it can develop faults that impact alarm 10 AS unit to engine ECU connectivity, so potentially could be doing similar for the can bus low wiring in your case. This is just a guess as I’ve not heard of it being an issue before.Someone like Martin on here will likely know if my guess could be correct
Post #966023 26th Sep 2022 5:42pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Sorry, I may have misinterpreted the nanocom‘s message. It seems it checks for high and low *speed* busses, not for the high and low *lines* of the TD4‘s only bus (high speed as explained) Embarassed So that message would be normal. What does the manual say.
Post #966032 26th Sep 2022 7:32pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Ahh.. I too thought that the Nanocom was referring to the low and high lines , not a high speed can bus and a low speed can bus.
I’m assuming our defenders only have a high speed can bus and the test is their for all vehicles the Nanocom supports, some of which will have a high speed can bus and a low speed can bus.

If that is the case then it seems the the OPs can bus is working ok.

Trouble is I’ve been doing a lot of searching on the Nanocom and can’t find any info on what that screen is actually telling us !!!
Post #966037 26th Sep 2022 11:32pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Is it posible to cut and weld canbus wire away from the resistor? I need to change some plugs on a 2.2. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #966274 29th Sep 2022 9:27pm
Defderico

Hello Ianh,

In case of I do not see any changes after cleaning the plugs; can I use a used 10AS module to see the difference
Do I have to use the Nanocom to pair the 10As with the ECU?

I thought to use the 10AS of my TD5 but the frequency is different (see picture)

One more time many thanks for your help

Good week-end
Regards
Eric
Post #966356 1st Oct 2022 7:29am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
From earlier posts it seems.
1. Vehicle starts ok, but runs poorly.
2. Nanocom can’t communicate with vehicle ECU’s and read vin
3. Nanocom can test if High speed CAN is responding, and it shows HS CAN is responding.
4. Dealer diagnostics can’t communicate with ECU’s / instrument cluster and can’t get vin
5. Dealer said 10as alarm ECU is not working and needs replacing to fix the issue of their diagnostic tools not communicating with the ECU’s and instrument cluster.

So the key issue is that even dealer diagnostic tools can’t communicate with the Engine ECU or instrument cluster. This to my knowledge has nothing to do with the 10AS for the following reasons.

1.Communications from dealer diagnostics and the Nanocom use the HS CAN bus to communicate with the engine ECU and the instrument cluster.
2. The 10AS is not connected to the HS CAN bus. It does have a separate single wire serial communication channel which goes to the engine ECU via the instrument cluster in the 2.4. However this must be working else the engine would not start.

It would be good if someone else can confirm the above re the 10as playing no role in not being able to get vin via the CAN bus.

Not knowing if the ECU or Instrument cluster has been replaced at some point makes things difficult, but I believe it is far more likely that you have an instrument cluster issue. This is because the instrument cluster holds the car configuration file data, including the VIN, and it is the instrument cluster that feeds the vin information to the Engine ECU via the CAN bus and to diagnostic tools via the can bus and OBD2 port. If the Nanocom is correctly reporting that the CAN bus is responding then its most likely that the instrument cluster is at fault.

Re your question above: if you can find a spare working 10as that’s correct for your 2.4 you would have to pair it to the engine ECU and configure it’s settings with a diagnostic tool, which unfortunately at present can’t connect as it can’t read the vin.

I think you need to have another chat with the dealer and ask them.
1.why they think the 10as is stopping the vin being read as surely that’s a HS CAN bus data issue and the 10AS is not connected to the HS CAN.
2. Why the engine starts if the 10as is at fault.
Then ask them if the vin not being read could more likely be an instrument cluster issue, or even an Engine ECU issue, CAN bus issue or OBD2 port issue.
Post #966551 3rd Oct 2022 9:29pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Any updates Eric , have you asked the dealer the questions above?
Post #968216 18th Oct 2022 5:34pm
Defderico

Hello Ianh,

Last updates .........with a happy end

I have checked the OBD plug to know if the issue is coming from there. I used a Bluetooth OBD plug with the Torque app. I had many values on the screen so I assmumed that the OBD was good

Following your advices I started to look for a cluster. I was lucky to find a used one in a dismantler. To be sure of the cluster I set it up on site..................and it works !!!!!!!!!!!!
The Nanocom is working and reading a lot of value (I have to look further on how to use it now)
Cost of the second hand cluster = 260 €

First of all I would like to thank you Ianh for your advices and your help
You are the man !!!

In 2 weeks I will drop off the TD4 to the same dealer (no choice) to set up in the cluster the VIN and others info I assumed to be necessary and I asked also the engine diagnosis

Once again thank you
I know who to contact now in case

Eric
Post #968495 21st Oct 2022 4:48am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
That’s great news Eric,

Somewhat concerning that the dealer completely misdiagnosed the issue and would have charged you nearly £3000 for parts and labour that were not faulty and would not have rectified the issue. Surely they should know the 10AS has nothing to do with their diagnostic tools not reading the vehicle vin via the HS can!

Hopefully they are able to correctly load the car configuration file (CCF) for your specific vehicle into the used but working instrument cluster you have obtained , including vin and correct mileage (from your original cluster).
My understanding is that’s not an easy task, however dealer level diagnostics may be able to do it.
Worth checking what vin you are now getting from the replacement instrument cluster to see if it’s the correct one for your vehicle, not the old one from the donor vehicle.

As for diagnostics for your original poor running issue, your Nanocom should help in identifying what the issue is and experts on here will be able to assist in rectifying it.

Also, if you are not reading any specific injector trouble codes it could be the VCV, which is well known to fail on the 2.4 , reasonably easy to replace yourself and not too costly. Do a search for VCV on here and there are lots of topics highlighting the issues a faulty one creates, where to get the part at a reasonable cost, and how to remove old and fit a new one.

But before spending any money on parts get all the Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s) post on here and we can start with the cheapest things to check and test. Such as injector seals, injector clamp bolts, correct programming of injector codes, pilot learn, map and maf sensors and wiring , egr or something as simple as fuel filter.
Post #968645 22nd Oct 2022 1:35pm
Defderico

Hello Ianh,

I wish you all the best for 2023 to you, your family and friends
Best wishes to the readers too

Long time since my lats post
Here after some news
The dealer was not able to put my VIN on the used cluster, surprise...
After that I used the Nanocom to do the injector learning. The engine make less noise
I have the codes :
- P0404
- P0100
- P1103
- U3000
- P0299
- P1402
- P0234

Is there a company you could recommend me to repair my genuine cluster ? There are some on the Web but I do not know which one is "better"

Thanking you
Have a good friday and a good week-end too
regards
Eric
Post #976858 6th Jan 2023 5:44am
hornet

The codes point to problems with EGR, MAF and/or turbo. A good start would be cleaning or swapping the EGR, cleaning MAF (be careful with it) and checking the wiring of the turbo (often one cable breaks) and/or linkage.
After each measure take it for a drive, don't do everything at the same time.

This is the mentioned cable: https://www.ebay.de/itm/162372554009

And regarding the alarm module https://www.m1n1.de has already been mentioned
Post #976888 6th Jan 2023 11:19am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Hi again,
So now you have all the codes recorded you can clear them , run the vehicle and see which ones reappear as some may be for issues that are now rectified. If only some reappear then we are narrowing down on their cause. If none reappear then it’s likely the VCV.

Also is your amber malfunction Indicator light illuminated on the instrument cluster ? Normally that would be triggered by some of those DTC’s and would put you in limp mode if it is.

Ps . Now you have your injectors coded have you run a pilot learn. A pump learn can also be undertaken but that can sometimes be problematic so do a pilot learn first.

A good guide here from BAS on pump and pilot learn with the gap diagnostics tool but a Nanocom can do it for a 2.4 as well. https://bellautoservices.co.uk/bas2rrc-hel...4tdci/vcv/

Regarding your original cluster repair.
perhaps Martin on here can advise, he may be able to do it or recommend a reputable company that can.

Re your replacement cluster,
Is it showing the donor vehicles vin now when you connect the Nanocom ? Is it showing the donor vehicles mileage as well ?
Also having a chat with local reputable mileage correction companies will be worthwhile to see if they can reprogram your donor cluster with correct vin and correct mileage.
Post #977630 11th Jan 2023 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12