↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Buckblu’s penman project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Buckblu’s penman project
Following on from another thread in which I asked for peoples opinions on a draw bar converter for my penman. General consensus was it wasn’t safe and to either leave well alone or do the job properly and convert to a 50mm coupler that was type approved.
I decided on the latter so set about grilling fabricators for advice. I can weld but usually farm stuff that doesn’t see road work so I found a local fab that has built a few trailers in his time and I was confident enough in his abilities, he also had the equipment to cut the hugely thick steel of the current draw bar!
I already had the steel from a previous project and I purchased a knott 50mm coupler with the correct load rating. We decided that it was best to cut the current draw bar off flush at the front cross member and weld the new one underneath and against a crossbar further back to keep plenty of surface to weld to and also drop the height of the coupler so the front of the trailer wasn’t as extreme nose down as it was.
I dropped the trailer off with the fabricator and three days later the job was done and my penman was now converted to a 50mm ball coupler. I even picked it up with my freelander 2!
First impressions was that it towed wonderfully, very stable but I needed to get the brakes working as they were now disconnected.
After a bit of head scratching I came up with a simple system that allows the coupler to operate the overrun brakes and the handbrake, although I might have to do a bit of re-engineering if I have issues with the anti reverse not working, that hasn’t happened yet so I’ll keep that in mind.
Anyway they work and work well.
I’ve since used the trailer for the odd light duty work and all seems well, brakes work as they should and as before tows well.
I also build a hinged lid for it to keep the contents of the bed dry, but also to bolt roof tent on to.
I intended for this trailer to be an all purpose use trailer, jack of all trades, but it’s seems that it very much suits being a camping trailer, with the legs at the back the trailer can be levelled quite easily and is rock solid when sleeping on in the tent.
With out further or do, here she is:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’ve got a couple of other things that need addressing, such as a protective cover for the brake system on the draw bar, paint the tub, inside and out.
The lid needs a couple of heavy duty gas struts to help lift it and i might add another couple of hinges.
Underneath needs a little bit of attention, mostly an under seal and I think I might strip the axle over the winter and give it a once over as it’s a tad crusty in places.
I would love it to have matching wheels and tyres as the 110 but that’s a bit further down the list Very Happy Very Happy
Post #965400 18th Sep 2022 2:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Very nicely done. I've vaguely toyed with the idea of converting my MkIII Sankey in a similar way except without the welding. What will you do about the holes left in the front crossmember? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #965404 18th Sep 2022 4:32pm
BuckBlu110

Not sure about the holes yet, I might plate them and I’m toying with the idea of fitting a storage box of some sort over the back part of the a frame that will also cover those holes.
Post #965415 18th Sep 2022 8:38pm
BuckBlu110

A little update on this, I’ve now used the trailer a bit and am very pleased with how it’s turned out, albeit being towed by my trusty fl2 rather than the 110 as Im currently getting a gearbox sorted for that. I must add it tows wonderfully! Smile
I have added runner tracks and roof bars for the roof tent to sit on rather than directly to the lid. I’ve also added an awning and room that I can extend vertically so the door of the tent is inside the room, adding a space for changing, dogs, or whatever we see fit at the time.
Also gave it a quick blast of paint and fitted alloys to match the 110.

Post #998682 5th Jul 2023 9:38am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Very nice. Good to see a Freelander 2 fulfilling its towing duty Thumbs Up
Post #998692 5th Jul 2023 10:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1