↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Leaking into the camera area behind Rear View Mirror
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Leaking into the camera area behind Rear View Mirror
Just booked my 2020 110 in for its 10th unscheduled visit to the workshop……….. fortunately not a long lead in time for the appointment as they want it this Friday because their 3rd party windscreen fixer will be on site to repair a leaking sunroof on somebody’s 72 plate V8………
My problem is the top of the windscreen is allowing water (both car wash and rain) in from the top where it collects inside the housing for the sensors and cameras behind the rear view mirror. It’s only started doing it in the last 2 weeks and is hardly noticable from the driver’s seat
It’s easier to photo it from the outside. I suspect the fix is black silicone sealant - just hope it doesn’t mean taking out the windscreen………. Receptionist reckons they’ve had a few with the same leak……….
It’s only taken 27 months and 17600 miles to show up on mine! Still love the car but cannot wait to see if my 90 that is due to be delivered in December is better assembled than this very low VIN First Edition that seems to have been thrown together.

To see the trickles of water it’s best to tap on the photos and open them in a new window then zoom in.

Click image to enlarge

A day later after rain seen from inside

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 7th Sep 2022 6:33pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #964307 7th Sep 2022 4:36pm
J77

Scotland 
I’ve found so far that this 23MY 110 is far better built than my 21MY 90, though the 90 was one of the first batch off the line. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964312 7th Sep 2022 5:10pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
Get them to replace the windshield not bodge it up with black sealer.
Post #964360 7th Sep 2022 10:29pm
Tim in Scotland

So the car went in last Friday for the day……….. Friday afternoon I got a call from the service dept asking if they could keep the car over the weekend so that they could water test it on Monday. No call on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday so I called them for a progress report……….. told the reception would call back……… they didn’t.

So today (Thursday ) I called into the showroom while I was in town. Asked to take a chair, would I like a tea or coffee? Things flashing through my mind - they’ve damaged the car and are trying to fix it?
Nothing that serious - after following the LR procedure to fix this known issue they water tested the windscreen seal and found the car had more leaks letting water into the footwells on both sides through defective sealing behind the body colour trims on each A pillar. The trims were being refitted this afternoon and I’m collecting the car tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully at long mast they might also have cured the sound of a million bugs hitting the top of the windscreen at speeds over 65mph that they’ve been trying to suss out (unsuccessfully) and cure whenever the car has been in for other defect resolution.
This is Land Rover product number 13 that I have owned since 1995 and it appears not to be a lucky number carwise for me - hopefully No 14 that should arrive sometime at the end of the year ( Meridian Audio parts permitting) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #965178 15th Sep 2022 9:28pm
Tim in Scotland

Collected the car this afternoon - leaks all cured without replacing the windscreen (as per LR TSB instructions) and after a 70mph blast on the M9 no more sound of bugs hitting the top of the windscreen ! I hope now I have no reason to take the car in for unscheduled workshop work until my 90 arrives………. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #965248 16th Sep 2022 6:59pm
J77

Scotland 
Glad they got it sorted.

So far this 23MY XS I have seems pretty well screwed together, 90 was a bit creaky but it was one of the first off the line. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #965249 16th Sep 2022 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1