↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Harry's Farm 12 month Defender Hardtop review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Harry's Farm 12 month Defender Hardtop review
Harry Metcalfe has just released his 12 month review of the Defender 90 Hardtop that Land Rover loaned to him. Thumbs Up

Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #964660 11th Sep 2022 5:29pm
nowrxo

Quite a fair review, but I pity the person who has to clean it once it's handed back.
Post #964667 11th Sep 2022 7:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Doesn’t look like it’s carried many dead sheep in the back or front so cleaning the inside looks more of a case of vacuuming it out than flushing it with disinfectant! Fixing up the rear door interior trim might be a bit costly though.
He grumbles about the Clearsight RVM but did he read the instructions about how to adjust it with the buttons under the mirror? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #964673 11th Sep 2022 9:06pm
haymeister

Japan 
Agreed with the comment regarding the Premium LED headlights with DRL, the high beams are abysmal. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #964692 12th Sep 2022 2:26am
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Doesn’t look like it’s carried many dead sheep in the back or front so cleaning the inside looks more of a case of vacuuming it out than flushing it with disinfectant! Fixing up the rear door interior trim might be a bit costly though.
He grumbles about the Clearsight RVM but did he read the instructions about how to adjust it with the buttons under the mirror?

My XS has it and I’m not sure what purpose it serves to be honest, even using the buttons it’s too high a view. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964758 12th Sep 2022 4:07pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Car aside, there is clearly no point in sending an SMS to Harry....

Click image to enlarge
 Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #964766 12th Sep 2022 4:39pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
That's got me a bit concerned about the coil springs on the 90 Commercial l've ordered

He says it's bouncy when towing a trailer and the tow ball is quite high. l tried to upgrade to the air suspension but was told it would result in my October build slot being lost and l would have to go to the back of the queue.

One thing about my current old model Defender 110 is that it tows really well.

Unlikely but,
Has anyone on here towed a caravan with their new Defender 90 on coil springs and can tell me what it's like?
Post #964808 12th Sep 2022 9:21pm
Tim in Scotland

J77 wrote:
My XS has it and I’m not sure what purpose it serves to be honest, even using the buttons it’s too high a view.

I also have it on my First Edition and I find it makes me feel carsick which I have never been before - it could be because I also wear glasses when driving. The idea is that if you load up the rear compartment with tall passengers or lots of “stuff” you can switch over to the roof view and still see what is behind you.

I don’t find that the rear view is as bad as many people are complaining about - maybe because I’m used to driving cars with the spare wheel hung on the tailgate rather than inside or under the car. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #964824 13th Sep 2022 8:14am
J77

Scotland 
I don’t find it that bad either, but then I drive large vehicles for a living with no rear view Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964894 13th Sep 2022 4:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Evoque Coupe’s rear view was much worse than L663’s and there was no option of a Clearview mirror in 2011 when my 1st Evoque was delivered Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #964918 13th Sep 2022 8:25pm
The_Liiicht

lightning wrote:
That's got me a bit concerned about the coil springs on the 90 Commercial l've ordered

He says it's bouncy when towing a trailer and the tow ball is quite high. l tried to upgrade to the air suspension but was told it would result in my October build slot being lost and l would have to go to the back of the queue.

One thing about my current old model Defender 110 is that it tows really well.

Unlikely but,
Has anyone on here towed a caravan with their new Defender 90 on coil springs and can tell me what it's like?

Is your caravan a tri axle three tonne brick? If not I wouldn’t worry too much 😃 Pangy 90 HSE 250 with off-roady bits 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 ⛰
Post #964937 13th Sep 2022 11:04pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 
I enjoyed this review. It was the first time I've heard mentioned the "creaking" you hear from the doors. I was wondering whether this was just my car, but good to hear it's not!

I have the jump seat in my 90, so use the Clearsight mirror a fair bit. It's not as good as just using the mirror, but it definitely serves a purpose.

Regarding the lights, did Harry's 90 Hardtop have the top spec' lights? Or the ones below?
Post #964982 14th Sep 2022 10:45am
lightning

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Is your caravan a tri axle three tonne brick? If not I wouldn’t worry too much 😃[/quote]

Hi there no it's about as small a caravan as you can get!
Post #964992 14th Sep 2022 11:51am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
EdJ wrote:
Regarding the lights, did Harry's 90 Hardtop have the top spec' lights? Or the ones below?

It didn't have the Matrix LED's Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #965068 15th Sep 2022 12:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1