↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > When did the TD5 change from 9 to 7 seats (Defender 90)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
douglasgdmw

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
When did the TD5 change from 9 to 7 seats (Defender 90)
Hi,

Looking for some advice on the Td5 as can't seem to find an obvious answer on the net/forum.

Online I see a lot of late Td5 defenders with bench seats (2002 onwards) which implies that they may be hard tops converted to station wagons?

So what year did the Td5 change from 9 seat to 7 ?

George

Ps I know that it's easy to convert a hard top to station wagon and should not make much difference, but looking to buy an original station wagon rather than a conversion. - Land Rover S2a
- Defender 90 SW

Last edited by douglasgdmw on 12th Sep 2022 9:01am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #964705 12th Sep 2022 8:24am
lightning

United Kingdom 
You're talking about the Defender 110 l assume. I think the base "Station Wagon" had vinyl seats throughout and bench seats in the back.
The "County" version had cloth, rather than vinyl seats and four individual seats in the back instead of two benches.

However as you say, over the years many have been changed, you'd need to check the V5 to see if it left the factory as a genuine Station Wagon.
Post #964707 12th Sep 2022 8:34am
douglasgdmw

Apologies, should have mentioned it was for Defender 90 as assumed 3 seats in the front with:
Bench - 3 in front + 3x2 in back
Seats - 3 in front + 2x2 in back

Changed the subject to avoid confusion

George - Land Rover S2a
- Defender 90 SW
Post #964714 12th Sep 2022 9:00am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
As lightning says, they were standard fit on base models (still billed as seven seaters) and don't necessarily indicate a conversion. Given that the tub would be completely different for a station wagon, I'm not sure how that would suggest a conversion from a hard top, to be honest. They could be an addition to a five seat station wagon but if they match the other seats and the V5 ties up then that'd be exactly like a factory one anyway.

Edit: just seen your last post. It's obviously a lot easier to convert a 90 as as the body is essentially the same. They were never 9 seaters, though - it was either 6 or 7 until the forward facing rears were introduced. There are other indicators such as is all of the interior trim in place (full headlining, side trims, etc) but as already mentioned, the key will be to check the V5. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #964715 12th Sep 2022 9:04am
douglasgdmw

Thanks for the reply guys Smile

Did noticed that some Defenders with bench's and half headlings etc (hench why I posed the question to determine if there was an easy way to determine). So many permutations means you have to be eagle eyed when looking at the adverts.

As you said the only definitive way is to look at the V5 to be 100% sure, just means more investigation work when contacting sellers.

George - Land Rover S2a
- Defender 90 SW
Post #964722 12th Sep 2022 9:50am
Jhollow

Canada 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
As lightning says, they were standard fit on base models (still billed as seven seaters) and don't necessarily indicate a conversion. Given that the tub would be completely different for a station wagon, I'm not sure how that would suggest a conversion from a hard top, to be honest. They could be an addition to a five seat station wagon but if they match the other seats and the V5 ties up then that'd be exactly like a factory one anyway.

Edit: just seen your last post. It's obviously a lot easier to convert a 90 as as the body is essentially the same. They were never 9 seaters, though - it was either 6 or 7 until the forward facing rears were introduced. There are other indicators such as is all of the interior trim in place (full headlining, side trims, etc) but as already mentioned, the key will be to check the V5.

Being new to Land Rover and the Defender there appear to be a lot of permutations and combinations so learning a lot on this site.

Was the 90 tub different between the hardtop and the station wagon? Are you referring to the VIN when you mention the V5 or is there something else? I know the 7th digit of the VIN gives body style so not sure what V5 means.
Post #964733 12th Sep 2022 12:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
In the TD5 era, the 90 tub was the same for all models. Only with the introduction of forward facing rear seats from 2007 did the tub for station wagons differ from vans and pick-ups.

The V5 is the registration document and will usually state the body style. However, I've just realised that you're not in the UK and so your paperwork may be different. As you say though, the VIN will give enough information to say whether a vehicle is a genuine station wagon or not. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #964737 12th Sep 2022 12:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't think that the short wheelbase Land-Rover, whether 88" or ninety, was ever billed as a nine seater. Even the bench seats were considered suitable for two people, so them max was only ever seven, three in front and four in the back.

The long wheelbase, whether 109" or one-ten, was once offered in 12 seat (benches) and 10 seat (individual side-facing) versions. I don't think the benches were actually any longer, and I suspect it was not pleasant to be one of the six in the extreme rear of a twelve seater.

Further reductions to four and seven for short and long wheelbases were inevitable when seatbelt regs made forward-facing seats mandatory.

Nine people in ninety would be fairly horrible!

Last edited by blackwolf on 12th Sep 2022 6:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #964772 12th Sep 2022 5:51pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The thought of having so many people inside a vehicle that would be flat packed in a rollover does bear thinking about….
Post #964777 12th Sep 2022 6:12pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
But when did you hear of one rolling over and the passengers injured or worse? l've never heard of it.

Most conversions (from hard top to Station Wagon) are easy to spot, because people very rarely fit all the plastic trim as it's so expensive.

There should be plastic trim around the side windows, and around the small rear windows, and also a headlining in the rear.

Also there should be a metal bar behind the rear side facing seats. Conversions rarely have this fitted as it also means fitting the strengthening pieces under the floor at the rear, and they are over £400 each.
Post #964780 12th Sep 2022 6:25pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"The long wheelbase was once offered in 12 seat (benches) and 10 seat (individual side-facing) versions"

Yup, and the 12-seater wasn't liable for Purchase Tax (my 1971 2.6 six-cylinder cost me the princely sum of £1,595. Typical LR, it was one of the last IIAs, but came from the factory with Series III running gear - all-synchro box, wider drums etc.) .

That little loop-hole was closed when 12-seaters were obliged to have tachometers fitted, with all the ensuing hassle.

Peter
Post #964834 13th Sep 2022 10:20am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I used to have a 300Tdi 110 SW "12 seater", well, it was 12 seats from the dealers to us, but once HMRC got their nose involved suddenly it wasn't a minibus but a van and shafted the company for £x amount of tax.

the 3 bench seats were "snug" if you ever had it fully loaded up with bodies. I did once, didn't really bother me how uncomfortable it was as I was driving Laughing
Post #964911 13th Sep 2022 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1