↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New Fox shocks not what I hoped for
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BIMbound

New Fox shocks not what I hoped for
Having fitted road comfort springs all round and the rear anti-roll bar from Alive Tuning I was really pleased with new level of comfort.
So after building some funds up again decided to go the whole hog and fit the Fox Shocks 2.0 to replace the ageing LR shock absorbers.

Unfortunately these things have taken the ride comfort back to where it was before I had the springs done, talk about firm.....
It seems there is no adjustment possible and it is what it is. Has anyone else fitted this combination and experienced similar?
Loathed to rip these out and replace but not sure how long the Mrs will tolerate it Crying or Very sad .

Thanks 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #964261 7th Sep 2022 11:03am
MercianRover

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
Speak to Paul Jones at Prolinx about getting them revalved. He worked magic on the ones fitted to my 100" Bowler. The ride is compliant at low speed on bumpy surfaces but it handles like a sports car when pushed hard on the road.
Post #964279 7th Sep 2022 1:01pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Monotube shocks are inherently harsher. I recommend std LR oil (only) or Koni Heavy Track. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #964294 7th Sep 2022 2:49pm
BIMbound

MercianRover wrote:
Speak to Paul Jones at Prolinx about getting them revalved. He worked magic on the ones fitted to my 100" Bowler. The ride is compliant at low speed on bumpy surfaces but it handles like a sports car when pushed hard on the road.

Interesting tip, thanks MR - actually this who supplied them I'm pretty sure. I didn't know that re-valving was a thing 2007 TDCi 90 XS
Post #964299 7th Sep 2022 3:07pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
That’s odd, I had a remarkable difference when I fitted new standard springs and the fox 2.0 shocks, I also fitted the Airlift kit to the rear for when full with expedition gear.
The difference was night and day compared to the original set up. Do comfort springs lower the height? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #964303 7th Sep 2022 3:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MercianRover

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
BIMbound wrote:
MercianRover wrote:

Interesting tip, thanks MR - actually this who supplied them I'm pretty sure. I didn't know that re-valving was a thing

Yep - that's the beauty of Fox (and imitators) in that they are a rebuildable and configurable component. Mine had flutter valve stacks fitted to give the compliant low-speed ride. Bear in mind that I have quite old-tech emulsion dampers but the principle applies to the IBP (Internal ByPass) type in a similar manner. When initially setting up the Fox on my 100" we did a drive with Paul as passenger to establish a baseline, revalved the rears and did another test-drive then revalved the front. Exceptional change and a much better return on investment than tuning the engine.
Post #964304 7th Sep 2022 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1