↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Air con question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Air con question...
"Factory air con doesn't need the pushed out grill. I've seen td5s and Pumas with factory AC without it. Depends on market. Italy and Spain trucks for the td5 and Africa for the Puma" This is what I have recently been told...

However...

I find it hard to believe that the factory would have different versions of air conditioning for the Defender, based on where it's going to be sold. I am aware that dealers did often install aftermarket AC systems in new vehicles, and those would not have the extended grill to allow the extra space for the condenser. Am I incorrect in assuming that all FACTORY installed AC had the bump out in the grill??

Can anyone put down some proven facts on this? it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #534427 25th May 2016 2:53am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Forum member SteveS had a standard 110 utility without air con, fitted air con and did not have sticky out grill. I'm not sure if it was Oem kit or not.
Post #534429 25th May 2016 5:54am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: Air con question...
CDN38 wrote:
"Factory air con doesn't need the pushed out grill. I've seen td5s and Pumas with factory AC without it. Depends on market. Italy and Spain trucks for the td5 and Africa for the Puma" This is what I have recently been told...

However...

I find it hard to believe that the factory would have different versions of air conditioning for the Defender, based on where it's going to be sold. I am aware that dealers did often install aftermarket AC systems in new vehicles, and those would not have the extended grill to allow the extra space for the condenser. Am I incorrect in assuming that all FACTORY installed AC had the bump out in the grill??

Can anyone put down some proven facts on this?

Must say, I always assumed as you have said, that Factory AC, bump out, no AC flat front. However, I have just bought a MY 03/2011 2.2 with bump out and no AC. So, it might be that AC fitted cannot do without it, but just looking at the nose with a bump out does not guarantee it's been fitted, if that makes sense? Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #534440 25th May 2016 7:36am
nickhodgson

My understanding is that there is only one type of factory Aircon Condenser for a Puma and when its installed you need the extended grill surround. I think all cars with a flat front and Aircon then are using an aftermarket kit. The aftermarket kit may well have some factory parts in it but it seems not the Condenser. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #536514 1st Jun 2016 2:32pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
My 2003 td5 German market with factory ac has the bump out grill. I looked at about 20 used defenders before buying this one last year and have yet to find one in this age group near me in the Neth, Deu, Belgium and one in Luxembourg with ac and a flat grill....had to buy 2003 or older to bring back to Canada in summer 2018.
Post #536677 1st Jun 2016 9:38pm
Lotus_esprit_s1

I have had a 300tdi and 19J with factory fitted aircon. Both these had the standard flat front, but was a bit of a squeeze getting the condenser between the rad and the slam panel support stays. Pre td5 didn't have a front mounted intercooler, rather it was to one side next to the rad. I can't see how with the td5 / puma intercooler being front mounted how it would be possible to get the condenser in there without the protruding aircon front panel.

A frien of mine has a unmodified UK model 2006 td5 90. This truck is a base spec as they come - steel wheels with 205's, vinyl seats, no radio, doesn't even have a heated rear screen or rear window wash / wipe (which I thought was standard even on the base models since the 90's) yet it has been specced with full aircon from the factory!
Post #536760 2nd Jun 2016 8:06am
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Going back from sticky out aircon grille to flush style
Bit of a thread resurrection here...

I've been experimenting with grill styles, I like the old heritage style insert now that it is green, but I hate the sticky out grill surround.

Click image to enlarge

Trawling through the search of "sticky out" finds this quote from this thread;

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic7922.h...p;start=30

[quote="Glynparry25"]I have no pictures at the moment, but could take some once I am home.

Basically:

Take the grill off (screws at top and sides).

When you look at the condenser you will see a box section bracket around the edge holding it in place. All I did was un-bolt it all, moved the bracket in front of the condenser and then bolt it all back together.

Only thing with the lines is that you have to push them back a little so just make sure you don't catch them on anything.

Then you are finished.

I see that glynparry hasn't posted for three years. Has anyone done this mod recently? My 2015 110 has aircon as standard, but I can't see that re-fitting the condenser thing behind the rectangular frame will move it and the fan back far enough to allow the standard grille to fit, as the intercooler directly behind the condenser sticks out too much.

Click image to enlarge

I reckon the frame would need to be moved back behind the lower mount.

Click image to enlarge
 Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #586466 20th Dec 2016 1:23am
stebsy

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Doublea, Looking to do this exact same mod. Did you have ay luck moving the A/C back? If so would you mind sharing some details?
Post #964232 7th Sep 2022 2:38am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
This is interesting.... I have the front grille off my 110 at the moment, I will have a look to see how much space is there
Post #964233 7th Sep 2022 6:07am
stebsy

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Let me know your thoughts eddie, would love to know if its possible.
Post #964236 7th Sep 2022 6:54am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
...its tight!!! there's only 12/15mm between the air-con condenser and the intercooler and about the same between the intercooler and the radiator.

Moving both these back would not be enough the flat a "flat front"....however there is around 40mm between the fan and the rad, I suppose you could move the whole lot back?

To much messing around for me.....

It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with something Bow down
Post #964240 7th Sep 2022 8:58am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The one I have seen with aircon and a flat front use an aftermarket condenser and condenser frame. Still use the same Spal fan. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #964244 7th Sep 2022 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1