↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > stainless thresholds - yes or no?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

stainless thresholds - yes or no?
So, I'm giving the interior of my Puma 90 SW a makeover.

I've bought a black wright off road mat system for the front. In the rear I'll be carpeting it with a genuine LR carpet kit and will be fitting the LR005614 rubber loadspace mat over the top.

Under the carpet and the Wright Off road kit I'll be fitting Dynamat.

The rear threshold is a bit rusty and there are obviously no front door thresholds fitted from the factory.

So I can either paint the factory rear threshold and refit, clamping the rear carpet and leave the front mat edges exposed... or buy new thresholds and clamp the carpet in the rear and (carefully) the edge of the Wright off road matting in the front.

I like the idea of having the edge of the rubber mat protected from boots.

Are there any real downsides to fitting these? I normally shy away from mixing stainless and aluminium but a little insulating tape and Duralac for the fixings should cover me.

Any recommendations for some that fit well? I'd be looking for either black powdercoated or brushed stainless and don't want any manufacturer logos or 'flourishes' in the design. Ideal is one that aligns with the factory holes.
Post #963664 1st Sep 2022 2:06pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Yes but I would still paint them black Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #963666 1st Sep 2022 2:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Just be careful with small stainless steel self tapping screws, they tend to shear the head off when you attempt to remove and are then a real pig to drill out. Perhaps use std steel tapping ones which don’t tend to shear and easier to drill out if they do.
Post #963689 1st Sep 2022 5:46pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I fitted a s/s rear threshold yonks ago with s/s self tapping screws. I’ve had no issues and it tidies the rear up quite a lot. It keeps the original mat safe and tidy too - which my original didn’t…

I do like black accessories (matt or satin) but guess in this location it wouldn’t wear well?

Only one of the original screws wouldn’t play ball but I drilled it out.

Very good point about the s/s self tapping screws as they don’t have the tensile strength of steel and if you are not careful the heads will shear off.

If you use the correct size pilot hole, keep the hole clean, and use a steel screw to cut the thread you should be ok.

Duralec or Tefgel as you’ve already pointed out is a good move 👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #963857 3rd Sep 2022 9:38am
Lightwater

Australia 
Stainless steel screws from large hardware chains are Chinese rubbish. Get quality screws & bolts from a proper stainless steel supplier.

It's not difficult to tap a metal thread. Say M4, M5 or M6 depending how larger bolt you need. If you want to countersink use a Sutton Cross Hole Countersink, not some cheap rubbish.

Drill the exact size hole for the tap as well, & generally a Taper tap is the best. Not Intermediate or definitely not a Bottom tap unless you are tapping a blind hole, but still start with a Taper.

Last but not least always use cutting fluid so you don't snap the tap off in the hole, or then you are in a mess, & it just makes tapping & countersinking much better quality.

A custom bracket for my fridge M4 tapped & countersunk holes. Mostly 304 & some 316 SS M4 countersunk bolts. It really doesn't take that much extra time to do it properly & the job looks a lot better anyway.

Click image to enlarge

If you need nuts use Nyloc nuts, or Loctite works well for not critical situations.

If it is into mild steel then you need to be very careful to avoid galvanic reaction. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #964149 6th Sep 2022 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1