↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > How do I test my A/C compressor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wiviq

Germany 
How do I test my A/C compressor?
Since owning my Defender, I've never used the a/c. A friend told me that the compressor is not working. Could it be a fuse? What type of mechanical defects should I look for?
Post #964036 5th Sep 2022 7:30am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Only thing you can check is if the clutch is engaging or not.
You may also find its connection (close to the compressor) and check if you have power on the connector. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #964045 5th Sep 2022 8:07am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
With the engine off I'd be inclined to apply 12v directly to the compressor plug and listen to hear the clutch operating, it should make a clicking/clunking noise. Run a cable from the battery to do this, don't forget you'll need an earth too.

If the compressor engages then you need to eliminate a wiring/fuse issue in the vehicle itself. Most systems will not engage the compressor if the gas pressure is too low. So if you have not used the system for a long time the seals may have deteriorated and you have lost your gas. With the engine running you could force the compressor to engage and see if the pipes get cold, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You can buy cans of refrigerant gas from auto stores but if you've lost gas pressure that means an issue somewhere in the system so you probably ought to seek the help of an aircon expert who can detect a leak for you.
Post #964059 5th Sep 2022 9:52am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: How do I test my A/C compressor?
wiviq wrote:
Since owning my Defender, I've never used the a/c. A friend told me that the compressor is not working. Could it be a fuse? What type of mechanical defects should I look for?

It could be a fuse or a relay. But, it is worth knowing that the compressor will not work if the system is not charged with refrigerant to the correct pressure. It is incredibly common for the condenser to spring a leak and release the refrigerant, then the compressor will not function even if supplied with 12v.
Post #964066 5th Sep 2022 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1