↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Insa Turbo K2 issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zirmbach

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
Insa Turbo K2 issues
Just installed on my 110 dcpu puma a set of new Insa Turbo K2 tyres in 285 75 16 on some Weller steel wheels at 9.5j replacing 265 75 16 BF Goodrich ATs on sawtooth which I think are 7j?

Replaced with these as I thought they’d be a reasonable upsize without having to lift or do much alteration, no problem with steering lock, Speedo actually reads correctly now (tested with gps) and minor rubbing on half lock at back of front wheel spat, fixed by trimming a few cm off the bottom corner.

The issue is the handling has gone to poop, low speeds totally fine, above 50mph it seems to be floating about left to right randomly, I’ve only done about 10 miles in it to check, on a long straight followed by twisty B road, not sure I’d trust it on motorway like this and slightly worried it’s gonna bin it on a corner, or even a straight. It’s like there’s an unweighting of the steering then engagement then unweighting again.

Any advice on what might resolve it assuming it’s not just that the tyres are awful?

Have driven super jeeps in Iceland and they didn’t seem to have this vagueness, though it would have been a barely noticeable change tbh.
Post #963583 31st Aug 2022 9:08pm
Zirmbach

To add to this - was running 30f 35r pressure on old tyres (not that they held air well…) now on 30/30
Post #963598 31st Aug 2022 10:47pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It could be any one of a number of things, unfortunately. I'm not familiar with that particular tyre although Insa have a pretty good reputation amongst remoulds. They may need different pressures though, or may just be a bit poor in that size. Alternatively, the size change may have found pre-existing weak spots in your suspension or swivels. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #963636 1st Sep 2022 10:03am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
You are comparing AT and MT tyres. MT are always worse on road, than standard road tyres. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #963646 1st Sep 2022 11:07am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Have you any prior experience with 285s on a Defender?

They tell you about every road surface defect to a much greater extent than even 265s and do have a detrimental effect on steering performance. This was in fact one of the main reasons I changed years ago to 255/85s which give a much nicer driving experience.

I've no experience with Insas, only BFG and Kumho.
Post #963647 1st Sep 2022 11:09am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Probably not directly related to your issues but the version of that tyre is N rated (81mph) whereas all the other (smaller) sizes are Q rated (100mph).

As previously mentioned, the wider you go, the more the truck will let you know about every imperfection in the road surface. It's also an agressive tyre which is going to impede its on road handling.

I ran 285s but on an 8J wheel (not your 9.5J) and didn't really have an issue but that was with KO2s.

Currently running 315/75/16 KM3s and it's definitely more 'lively' on the road than with smaller tyres Smile 
Post #963648 1st Sep 2022 11:30am
Zirmbach

Thanks all, sounds mostly like it is just how those tyres behave then.

No experience of 285 on defender but driven 33 and 35 on Landcruiser and was much more controllable.

Will maybe play with pressure a bit to see if it helps, would you suggest going lower or higher than 30?

Not looking to top out on speed but comfortable at speed limits would be nice at least!
Post #963655 1st Sep 2022 11:59am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
That is a big tyre, on a wide rim and probably with a big increase in track? You are now experiencing the downside of choosing a big tyre for looks over practicality.

Vague handling might not all be due to the tyres though. As has already been said, it could be wear/play in any of the steering components which is being magnified by the change in geometry of the new wheels.

Steering column UJs, steering box, TREs, swivels, all bushes (including rear axle as this can steer if there is any play at the back). Also check tracking as this needs to be spot on too.

At the steering box check the bottom output shaft isn't moving side to side and also check the drop arm is fully secure on the output shaft as this can sometimes develop a tiny amount of play which gives the symptoms you are describing.

If you want to run tyres of that size then everything has to be in A1 condition or it will feel like poop (a surprising number of people tolerate the poop handling unfortunately, rather than spending the time, effort and money it takes to get it right and safe, but who cares if it looks good? Please don't be one of those people.
Post #963872 3rd Sep 2022 11:43am
Zirmbach

Thanks for the tips, yep I chose style over substance but totally want to make it work as well as it can, took them back to get balanced and that made a huge difference, though each front wheel has a stack of weights stuck to it now…
Will go through the checklist and see if there’s anything else adding to the issues. Intention was always to upgrade anything that has worn rather than just replace it.
Post #963881 3rd Sep 2022 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1