Home > Technical > Electrical issue related to brake circuit - 2014 tdci
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fmead99

United Kingdom 
Electrical issue related to brake circuit - 2014 tdci
Hi all,

I have a bit of an issue. Recently my defender has started cutting out when I brake. Occasionally it'll cut out if I indicate or engage reverse. But these are much rarer.

I disconnected the brake pedal switch and drove around the farm for a while which seemed to remove the issue though occasionally threw up the ESP icon on the dash.

I took the switch to pieces and noticed the connection is worn and a charred. Guess that suggests an issue in the circuit?

I have checked my main battery terminals and the ground. But all seems ok. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Just before I start taking things to pieces.

All help gratefully received.

Note: I have double Odyssey battery system and two weeks ago installed an inverter of the leisure battery (pos and neg). But I ran a ground to the neg of the main battery. Can't see that being related but thought I'd mention it!

Note 2: Years ago I also fitted cruise control that splices in to the brake pedal switch. But that all seems to be working fine and connections look healthy.
Post #960835 6th Aug 2022 4:29pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi .. did you ever solve this?

I’m having the same problem occasionally when braking at low rpm and the engine dies. It will start back up again no problem.
Post #963158 28th Aug 2022 2:07pm
Fmead99

United Kingdom 
Hi,

I had various issues and fixed all of them. Not sure exactly which one solved it but in summary I changed the black brake sensor switch. And a problematic indicator stalk.

But I think the main issue was a wobbly spade on the back of the ignition barrel switch.

Good luck!
Post #963168 28th Aug 2022 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1