↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Accident Car / worth a rebuilt?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Meta87

Austria 
Accident Car / worth a rebuilt?
Hi fellow Defender enthusiasts!

I have another few questions on a TD5 110 which flipped over and therefore has quite the damage now.
The reason I‘m considering buying it are the following:
1. 26000 km on the clock / no damage to the motor and surroundings
2. Chassis is supposed to be straight according to a mechanic except for the bent rear cross member
3. no rust at all

A mechanic said that the roof, the damaged panels, probably 3 doors and the C post (driver side) need to be replaced, the rest looks good. What is your assessment when taking a Look at the pictures? Repairable? Costs (DIY)? What price would you pay?

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Meta87 on 24th Aug 2022 10:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #962712 24th Aug 2022 7:02am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
It’s a Defender so everything is replaceable.

If money was no object you could keep the number plate, reg documents, engine and gear box and throw the rest away then start a new build on a galvanised chassis…….Triggers Broom.

I think that the best place to start before going any further is to get the chassis checked by a body shop with the correct tools that will put into writing that the chassis is both straight and in good condition.

Once you have that report (because no doubt the insurance company will want to see it in the future) then take off the bits you are keeping then start a shopping list starting with all the major panels.

Then it will be down to budget and the ability to get the body parts at a reasonable cost and being 100% happy that they are not from a stolen vehicle otherwise if the police turned up…….

In the long run it might be worth getting a good condition runner and using that as your project vehicle.

You can still get the spanner’s out and strip it right down, clean, paint, repair , modify and make it yours knowing full well that you are starting with everything you need in the first place.

Your time, choice and money. Personally I’d get a good one and spend my money and efforts making mine. At least with a good one you will be able to drive it around to get to draw up a mental list of what you want it it be.
Post #962714 24th Aug 2022 7:28am
Meta87

Austria 
Thanks for your reply. Although a galvanized chassis would be perfect, the one the vehicle now is still in very good shape apart from the right rear corner and if it really is straight. So I would prefer to rebuilt it with panels and so on. Has anybody already gone through a similiar process? Any experiences to share?
Post #962763 24th Aug 2022 6:17pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking at it, i would say its worth a rebuild, you can get everything for these. But make sure you get it for a decent cheap price. I am sure a couple of lads in the Defender section have done some accident repair rebuilds, off the top of my head one was a rolled one and other one was a fire damaged by theft. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #962770 24th Aug 2022 7:18pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I guess viable or not viable greatly depends on your location and how easy to get parts at reasonable prices. Buying parts from the UK, where generally are cheaper has become expensive for EU customers.

Was it yours to start with, then for sure re build it as there is more value than just monetary ... but buying to re build would need some proper accounting to see if it is worth doing.

Once you do the accounting, multiply the sum by 3... as you would always go above and beyond what you plan to spend. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #962777 24th Aug 2022 7:45pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Red and white with 2 beacons - ex fire brigade?

If so probably been well serviced and looking at the underside well worth saving.

As said above, if it can be bought at a reasonable price and you have the time and space to search for reasonably priced spares it would be a great project - full roll cage, 4 new half doors, canvas top.........

HTH Keith
Post #962794 24th Aug 2022 9:29pm
Meta87

Austria 
Hey Keith,
Thanks for the inspiration. A roll cage and canvas really would be nice. What would you spend on a project vehicle like that?
And yes, fire brigade and full service history 🙂
Post #962799 24th Aug 2022 10:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Virtually any Defender can be rebuilt, but do not underestimate the cost in both parts and time especially if you are paying someone else to do the work.

Your first rebuild is likely to cost twice as much as you expect! Very Happy
Post #962819 25th Aug 2022 7:53am
Meta87

Austria 
Would anybody know a shop where to get part no.15 (left side) seen on the sheet? I searched Paddocks and so on and found nothing matching. The front window frame is as well quite hard to find.
Post #962828 25th Aug 2022 9:15am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Used parts will be the way forward here.... put a wanted ad in on this forum Thumbs Up
Post #962829 25th Aug 2022 9:30am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
The value of it is a very difficult question.
a good low miles TD5 engine must be worth between £1200 - £1400
gearbox £350
Xfer box £200
Axles £350 each
suspension / steering £200
salvageable body / chassis £1000

Plus other stuff so in parts its worth £4k - if you can stand to lose the difference between this and what they're asking it could be a great project.
As mentioned above by various members take your time to collect the parts required, go second hand where possible and you could have a nice low miles motor.

good luck!
Post #962915 25th Aug 2022 8:34pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
With that low mileage and the general condition l would definitely be looking at repairing it.

For the roof and side panels you'll need to call some salvage yards for good used parts. The doors are available new, and the rear crossmember can be replaced if the rest of the chassis is straight.

You'd have a lovely Land Rover when it's finished, and it will last you forty years. Compare that with the depreciation on a new car.
Post #962997 26th Aug 2022 6:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1