↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > P400e when the battery runs out?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JumaJump

Australia 
P400e when the battery runs out?
Hi all. Extremely keen on the P400e given it would seem to suit our usage well with lots of short range travel 90% of the time when we'd be able to use the power and/or the petrol free range.

However, once or twice a year we go on longer trips 'outback' here in Australia. During those trips I'm not expecting to be able to charge that often which makes me wonder what the Phev is like when the battery runs out and you're relying on the P300e engine.

We'll be towing a 2000kg off road camper and going to remote places.

1) Does the PHEV recharge itself at all? I've seen some references but it's hard to imagine you'd get much out of regenerative braking or similar.

2) What's the petrol engine like under load, eg. when towing a 2000kg van and maybe in sand?

Any first hand experience stories would be much appreciated. We currently have a 2013 Discovery 4 that we've owned from new and has been awesome. The Defender seems like the real successor to the Discovery.

Many thanks from Australia.
Post #959533 26th Jul 2022 7:55am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
We tow our 2000kg caravan with a P300 and it copes really well if that helps.
Post #959535 26th Jul 2022 8:10am
Kiter25

Scotland 
Can't comment on towing but I've done a couple of long trips recently and if you select the save option it will re generate. On a 180 mile trip I was virtually back at 80% full battery. There are alot of critics of the phev but I absolutely love it, my commute is 6 miles a day and I'm getting back and forth to work for 4 days without a charge, does drop a bit winter.
Post #959605 26th Jul 2022 4:26pm
hezor

Finland 
I don't tow so can't comment on that. But I have had the P400e for 11 months and 13000km now. Mostly short commuting that can be done on pure electric. In summer time the EV range for me is about 38-45km. But as I live in Finland, which is a cold and northern country, in winter time the range can drop to 20km when it's like -20 centigrade. But I suppose this won't be an issue in Australia.

One common misconception is that the P400e is just a P300 with extra weight after the battery is depleted. That is not true. The battery never gets fully depleted as the combustion engine is forced on before this happens. And the combustion engine can use the electric motor to recharge to battery as necessary to keep sufficient charge. This is done automatically by the car, and you can use the SAVE mode to manually get more charge (or keep the current charge if the battery charge is not low).
So what this means is that you always have the full 400 horsepower available, even when the battery has seemingly ran out. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #959658 27th Jul 2022 5:51am
JumaJump

Australia 
Thanks everyone for the comments. This really helps us clarify a few misconceptions and certainly makes it sounds like the PHEV is the way to go for us.

We've placed a deposit - only challenge now is when will JLR launch the PHEV in Australia. They've mentioned 2022 so here's hoping!
Post #959914 29th Jul 2022 7:03am
oddefanten

Norway 
I tow a large boat trailer 4 times a year at the exact limit of 3.000 kg for a 4-hour drive. Most of the way is a highway with 4 lanes. I also tow a smaller trailer at 1.600 kg quite often between our home and a farm in the mountains in Norway on smaller roads. I’ve had the P400e since dec. 2021 and have some experience from this season that can be useful.

I used to have a Discovery 4 MY2011 SDV6 3.0 before the P400e. The Disco was superb for towing, but I learned the hard way that one should not use cruise control when towing with the Disco (result; limp mode – blown inlet manifold gasket). I really need the torque for some "hill climbing" on the heavy towing (same hill that blew the Disco), with the boat trailer and was worried if running out of battery would affect the torque.

When towing I am not concerned of fuel consumption – the focus is full torque. As mentioned, you can choose between Hybrid/EV/Save modes. On the first long trip with the boat trailer, I used the «save» setting and had full battery all the way. On the way back I changed to «hybrid» the last hour of the 4-hour trip, however it kept using very little of the battery for some reason.

Now for the third time I left it in «hybrid» al the way. It reduced itself to minimum quickly, but there was always battery power when accelerating or when the torque was needed.

I must say that the P400e is superb when towing. I have the electronic locking diff. as well as the towing package. I don’t know to which degree this affects the driving, however the P400e is really really smooth, and it feels so much «tighter» than the Disco when towing.

I will keep experimenting with the modes when towing to see if it does affect my driving in any case. (I have not used cruise control when towing at max weight, but according to the dealer it is not a problem). 22MY 110 X-Dynamic HSE P400e Pangea Green, Towing Pack, Cold Climate Pack
Past: Discovery 4 MY2011 SDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black
Post #962751 24th Aug 2022 3:09pm
JumaJump

Australia 
Many thanks for the detailed response. The availability of torque for towing and off-road in particular is an area we were worried about.

The Discovery 4 diesel has been such a great all-rounder that it's making it hard to move on, but after nearly 10 years and 200K, and many more remote trips to come, we're looking to change. The Defender seems like the natural progression. We're bouncing a bit between the Phev and Diesel but Phev really looks to be the good choice this time.

Thanks again and safe travels.
Post #962801 24th Aug 2022 10:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1