↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > my def.....by Caterham
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
doh.

had the def parked up at my parents in the garage. it was reversed in so the drivers is well tight against the wall. Left on c-tek charger all good.
well come to take the defender for a bit of fresh air yesterday and I can't get in - I assumed the remote battery had gone flat Crying or Very sad
any how crawled underneath and got the key to the drivers door to open the central locking.....central locking not working?
so I have one unlocked door I can't open. aha - use the boot door.....nah - thats a different lock Crying or Very sad - another tell tale that something happened in the days before collection (from 'new')?
so last resort was 'breaking' in to open up and find out whats gone wrong. C-tek all light up and seems fine - open up the battery compartment and ....... only one of the crocodiles is connected to the battery and hence the battery is truly flat. Had some fun trying to get the charge cycle under way.
gonna try and again today.
Sheep
Post #961599 14th Aug 2022 10:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That sounds like one of those rare occasions when it is useful that a locked Defender can be unlocked in seconds without the key if you know how.

It's also a.good reminder of the need for access to the driver's door under certain conditions.

Glad you got in, and I hope the battery is salvageable. Incidentally I have hardwired Ctek connectors on all my vehicles because I don't trust croc clips.

A Ctek doesn't like totally flat batteries. If you have one, use an old-school dumb charger to put some charge in, then switch to the Ctek.
Post #961617 14th Aug 2022 2:40pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
good luck DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #961618 14th Aug 2022 3:27pm
Caterham

blackwolf wrote:
That sounds like one of those rare occasions when it is useful that a locked Defender can be unlocked in seconds without the key if you know how.

It's also a.good reminder of the need for access to the driver's door under certain conditions.

Glad you got in, and I hope the battery is salvageable. Incidentally I have hardwired Ctek connectors on all my vehicles because I don't trust croc clips.

A Ctek doesn't like totally flat batteries. If you have one, use an old-school dumb charger to put some charge in, then switch to the Ctek.

not going well all this. cycled over to my parents with the idea of leaving the bike and cycling home when I return the def. So on my first visit I had to cycle there and back which is fine but as you may have noticed its been quite warm - as noted above I had to cycle back but I'd caught a puncture getting so had to find a pump to pump the tyre (one of the neighbours had one luckily).
Second trip there yesterday again getting there on the bike (it was properly warm yesterday - the inside of my mouth when breathing was like a dry oven!). anyhow there and after moving 3 cars to get to the def I found the battery was still flat but after some jiggery pockery I think it now charging.
moved 2 cars backed nicked by moms car to get back home (ran out of time to cycle)....so then had to drop car back last night.
hopefully find some time soon to get back and check it out and re-fit there 'broken' window.
I'd almost forgotten home much fun defender ownership can be Thumbs Up
Rolling with laughter

ps. BW thank you for the comment the dumb charger. Thumbs Up
Post #961675 15th Aug 2022 7:51am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No problem. Modern "smart chargers" are fantastic but I am not aware of any that will work on a totally flat battery, it is almost as though they cannot recognise that they are actually connected to a battery at all. If you have some way to get some charge into the battery, then they will work OK. Hence it is useful to keep at least one old-school battery charger on hand.

It is possible, even probable, that if your battery has been totally discharged that it will be beyond salvation or, even if you can get some charge in it, it will never be satisfactory again. No battery likes being totally discharged.

I do hope that you realise that when I used the phrase "dumb battery charger" I wasn't referring to you! Rolling with laughter
Post #961680 15th Aug 2022 8:51am
Caterham

I do hope that you realise that when I used the phrase "dumb battery charger" I wasn't referring to you!

being somewhat optimistic I had hoped ......but wasn't sure Laughing

I take on board your comments re; the battery being scuppered. You're probably right but I'll give it a go and see where we're at with it Thumbs Up
Post #961682 15th Aug 2022 8:54am
Caterham

well without the need for a dumb charger shes running again.
need to get a few miles on the clock and see how the battery fairs but all seems good at the moment.

Col1. sorry I missed your post before. Its taken for ever to decide on the glass. Seats are still in the decision process. While I appreciate the standard seats might not be the best if can get a couple of original (new) seat bases I'd probably be happy with that (and certainly cost wise would make sense)..... Confused
Thumbs Up
Post #962383 21st Aug 2022 11:12am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
According to their user's manual, CTEKs will not charge a totally flat battery. The target battery should have a minimum charge (the exact amount of charge escapes me at the moment) for the CTEK to recognize the battery and work
Post #962462 22nd Aug 2022 6:28am
Caterham

Doesn't surprise me.
Took about 3 days of messing about with different settings etc for it to eventually get a grip and start charging.
All the clicking of relays, flashing lights and horn lead to to think something would break and a new battery would be required but perseverance paid off Thumbs Up
Post #962463 22nd Aug 2022 6:31am
Caterham

Click image to enlarge

first time she's seen daylight in almost 12 months.
I do have to wonder why we like they timeless pieces of metal so much.....in reality they're hardly without fault.
I can only assume when they created the defender humans had both a different number of joints and in different positions, plus a general lack of feelings? Rolling with laughter
Post #993987 25th May 2023 1:38pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Looking good. Thumbs Up
Post #993995 25th May 2023 2:35pm
Caterham

/\ thank you. Mr. Green

waiting for a certain person to find a gap in their workload to get a few little jobs sorted;
-front and rear screens,
-LED wipac lamps,
-re-fit rear corner bumpers,
-re-paint rear x-member,
-repaint of roof gulleys,
-re-align steering wheel,
-swap drivers seat base,
Post #994005 25th May 2023 3:32pm
L110CDL

England 
She certainly likes the daylight Caterham, she's looking amazing Cool 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #994033 25th May 2023 8:59pm
Caterham

Bow down thank you.

by Blackwolf's standard she is but a baby at only 103k miles.
I've tried to keep her looking good all the same. Thumbs Up

having recently seen a Grenadier for sale I do keep having thoughts about her future Twisted Evil
Post #994073 26th May 2023 7:41am
L110CDL

England 
^^^^^
Its good your only having thoughts Wink

She's part of the family now Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #994163 26th May 2023 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>