↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > White smoke from the exauhst.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
5a6eeb

United Arab Emirates 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
White smoke from the exauhst.
Hey Guys.

I have an issue with my 2012 defender 2.2 TDCi. When I start my car in the morning a puff of white smoke comes out of my exauhst. Its not just when its a cold start, even if I stop my car for a few hours and then start it again I’d get a puff of white smoke. I checked for coolant loss at my local mechanic and he confirmed that there was none. I had a bad turbo and I thought it was oil from the bad turbo, but Ive just replaced it and that puff of white smoke is still there.

Do you guys have any idea what could cause this? Is it bad in any way for the health of my engine? My defender is my daily, and I really try to do everything to keep my engine in top condition.

If its any help I have a remap on my car and an upgraded Intercooler with brand new VGT Hybrid Turbo.
Post #960870 6th Aug 2022 10:49pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Unburnt fuel is the common cause of white smoke from cold start, it could be many things but I would put an injector flush through to see if it makes any improvement.

My 2011 2.4 Puma did it in the cold winter for a few mins on start up but after adding a fuel flush and continued use Millers fuel additive, it appears to have improved to the extent that I haven’t noticed it for several months. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #960880 7th Aug 2022 5:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
5a6eeb

Will try it out.

Thanks bud!
Post #962066 18th Aug 2022 12:46am
Procta

United Kingdom 
also glow plugs starting to fail, can give the clouds out too, or crap quality fuel.
My Dturbo 306 would cough like hell, for some reason, changed the plugs over, serviced it, even shoved some additives in, never did anything. Changed where i was fuelling from and it was night and day Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #962072 18th Aug 2022 4:47am
5a6eeb

After replacing my vgt hybrid turbo with a new one and updating the tune I have, white smoke started to disappear. Before updating the tune there was still white smoke, and when I updated it, the white smoke started to slowly fade away. But till today there is a bit of white but mainly black smoke when i start the car. Also I dont have any center silencers on the car. But when I push the car in fifth gear at night (with the cars headlight beam directed at the back of my car)I see a lot of smoke coming from the Exauhst pipe, but during the day when I push the car I only see a fair to normal amount of black smoke coming from the Exauhst. Could it be that the white smoke isnt as visible during the day?
Post #962120 18th Aug 2022 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1