Home > Td5 > Recommendations for suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Craig772

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Recommendations for suspension
Hi all,

After doing a bit of caravan towing in my 2000 D90 TD5 I am pretty sure the rear suspension is now a bit wallowy, I am sure it was firmer before but that could be my imagination.

Looking under the vehicle, the suspension looks scabby and bushes are cracking. I'd like to replace the springs and shocks, and clean up other components. Rather than remove and clean other components such as anti-roll bar etc I am thinking of just replacing them.

Has anyone been there/done that and got any advice? Is there a recommended firm suspension kit for general use?

TIA.
Post #961692 15th Aug 2022 10:28am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
For bushes go with a full set of SuperPro bushes (see Gwyn Lewis), ride transforming bushes and an easy kit to DIY if you are up for it.

As for springs and shocks, I have a preference for Old Man Emu. I have tried tested abused and I still love these over other brands.

They work... Thumbs Up
Post #961705 15th Aug 2022 11:20am
kenzle8a

I redid all my TD5's bushes with Super Pro and they make a very nice difference. I have the commercial front and rear HD springs from the Puma and Bilsteins + standard anti roll bars. I regularly tow our horse trailer which is usually over 3 tonnes and for a Defender its pretty dam stable and settled.

The HD rear springs are a bit pain on some of the bumpier roads when its unladen but I need them for summers towing so will change them out over the winter when im not using it for that.
Post #961746 15th Aug 2022 3:46pm
Craig772

Fab, I'll definately order in the Super Pro bushes.

Are there any views on the the Terrafirma Pro-Sport Std Height HD suspension? The vehicle doesn't get hammered, has a low weekly mileage which is all road, on occasion will pull a caravan for 4 to 6 hours.

The Old Man Emu shocks are priced to be bullet proof but it perhaps OTT for my needs.

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/tf198-te...it-90.html
Post #961759 15th Aug 2022 4:45pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Agree with Lord Haggis, blistiens are very good under load, I’ve got them with +25% springs on the back and comfort on the front with spacers to level the 110.

Just replaced like for like after 10 years of hard work.

Be careful going cheap.
Post #961776 15th Aug 2022 6:34pm
kenzle8a

Craig772 wrote:
Fab, I'll definately order in the Super Pro bushes.

Are there any views on the the Terrafirma Pro-Sport Std Height HD suspension? The vehicle doesn't get hammered, has a low weekly mileage which is all road, on occasion will pull a caravan for 4 to 6 hours.

The Old Man Emu shocks are priced to be bullet proof but it perhaps OTT for my needs.

https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/tf198-te...it-90.html

If I had the budget id have got adjustable Fox's but I'm very happy with the Bilsteins. I've heard a lot of good things about the OME (Old Man Emu) from Gywn Lewis who I bought all my Super Pro stuff off.

No money on earth would compel me to run Terrafirma again.
Post #961800 15th Aug 2022 8:51pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Another for hd springs and bilsteins. Regularly tow, usually around the 3 ton and faultless over the last 10 years. I’ve not bothered with the super pro bushes, all genuine LR still. Standard LR front roll bar and Alive uprated rear. It’s like a go cart and not crashey when unloaded
Post #961807 15th Aug 2022 9:28pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
You don't want heavy duty springs when towing a caravan, the suspension on a Defender is hard enough without putting any more stress on the caravan chassis.

Obviously replace all the bushes as suggested above, but resist the temptation to fit "uprated" ones.
l would suggest standard Puma springs, which do give a slightly better ride, and Terrafirma 4-way adjustable dampers.

When towing the 'van, set them to the softest setting.
Post #961955 17th Aug 2022 9:03am
Craig772

Thanks guys.

Just curious about 2 comments.

- Puma springs, STD or HD. I have a 2000 reg TD5. Will the Puma springs fit? I was going to look for something like Bearmach offered through the usual 4x4 outlets.

- Shocks and comment from @Lightning about soft setting. Prior to me getting the D90 I towed with my Audi A4 Avant S Line which has fairly firm suspension. I can see an argument for the vehicle soaking up bumps and not passing them back to the 'van but surely it'll sit low and be wallowy? Cars that tow are generally seen to be best avoided as a second hand purchase due to a high chance of knackered clutch and suspension. That said does it not translate that a beefier suspension is better?

TIA
Post #961961 17th Aug 2022 9:31am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Damper adjustment won't affect how low the rear of the vehicle sits.

Take it from me, if you have a Defender on standard springs the rear won't drop more than about 1" with 80kg on the drawbar and 100kg luggage in the back.

Puma springs will fit, you need to find a spring table which will tell you which ones you need, try someone like Twisted for new "take off" springs, they will also tell you which ones you need.
Post #961969 17th Aug 2022 10:10am
Craig772

@Lightning. Cheers, I've had more coffee now, of course the springs affect the ride height, so adjusting the dampers to soft will presumably be more gentle to the vehicle in the bumps?
Post #961974 17th Aug 2022 11:04am
lightning

United Kingdom 
That's what l've found when towing our caravan.

Make sure you have the nose weight at 80-100kg. lf you find that the outfit pitches too much, you can always try increasing the damper settings.

But ours tows great with this setup. You'll also need a remap unless
you want to hold up traffic on hills.
Post #961981 17th Aug 2022 11:51am
Craig772

@Lightning. Regarding remap Shocked My first trip out with the caravan with the D90 was a week ago from Birmingham to the West Lakes. I was shocked. I've gone from the a 240BHP 3.0l V6 Quatro in the Audi to the TD5 which is what 115BHP at the very best in it's current state? It'll cruise at 60 MPH on the flat but don't show it a gentle incline. Without a caravan it'll struggle to reach 75 MPH. I am toying between Alive and Empire for the remap but haven't done that much research on it. I 'think' Empire install a standard remap but Alive will install a standard remap as a baseline and customise it to suit the vehicle.
Post #961983 17th Aug 2022 12:12pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Any stage 1 remap will transform your 90 particularly when towing.

Alive seem to get good reviews, l used "Dynachip" who come
out to your house and charge £225

Also you could try "Mastaz TD5" who l used for my spare ECU and seems to know his stuff, his charge for the remap and ECU repair was £80 and it's great.
Post #962005 17th Aug 2022 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1