Home > Tdi > Power Steering heavy when not under load
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
E13

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Epsom Green
Power Steering heavy when not under load
Hello all,

This is my first post here about my new (to me) 110, so hello! I'm enjoying ownership so far with one minor exception.

I have an issue with the power steering, when driving normally its perfectly fine, however when the engine is idling it is super heavy. If I give the engine a few revs it suddenly returns to normal but will go heavy again when not on the gas.

I've had a search around the forum already and found some issues related to this although nothing exactly the same, so apologies if I have missed a previous post covering this.

So far I've checked the fluid and it seems fine, although I might flush it anyway later. Also the universal joints on the sterring column have been given a liberal soaking in penetrating oil but the issue still remains.

What would you guys advise that I check for next?

Thanks in advance!
Post #958590 17th Jul 2022 9:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
E13 wrote:
when the engine is idling it is super heavy

Do you mean with the vehicle stationary or when the vehicle is moving in gear with the engine idling?

If the former, then it is not surprising and is something that you really shouldn't be doing. If the latter, you may be making steering movements which are too quick for your road speed and hence scrubbing the tyres, which will make the steering appear heavier.

What tyres do you have?
Post #958606 17th Jul 2022 11:46am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Although should avoid turning the steering when vehicle is stationary (as it puts a lot of stress of the system, especially with wider, under inflated tyres), the power steering should still be capable of doing it.
When rolling, the forces of the steering get much lower. So I suspect either of the two:
1. Power steering pump is not able to deliver enough pressure at low rpms
2. Steering box have too much leakage between the actuating piston that is not able to provide assistance when the flow rate is low. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #958612 17th Jul 2022 1:00pm
E13

blackwolf wrote:
Do you mean with the vehicle stationary or when the vehicle is moving in gear with the engine idling?

When stationery. I've tested it and regardless if it's in gear or not the steering is still heavy. If I raise the engine revs a bit it suddenly returns to "normal" and is much easier to turn.

I don't tend to select neutral when I'm moving and haven't noticed any steering issues when driving normally.

I should also clarify, this problem has developed since I've owned it, steering was fine when I first got it. Also, to head off the inevitable; no I have not made any steering mods or changes.

Not sure on the tyres, will have to check when I'm home, but it's on the standard boost alloys.
Post #958808 19th Jul 2022 9:45am
E13

Dinnu wrote:

1. Power steering pump is not able to deliver enough pressure at low rpms

Should I try bleeding the pump first or just consider replacing it?
Post #958829 19th Jul 2022 12:52pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Check the fluid level… pumps are normally self bleeding with a few lock to lock turns to help it bleed Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #958831 19th Jul 2022 1:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
E13 wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

When stationery. I've tested it and regardless if it's in gear or not the steering is still heavy. If I raise the engine revs a bit it suddenly returns to "normal" and is much easier to turn.

I don't tend to select neutral when I'm moving and haven't noticed any steering issues when driving normally.

I should also clarify, this problem has developed since I've owned it, steering was fine when I first got it. Also, to head off the inevitable; no I have not made any steering mods or changes.

Not sure on the tyres, will have to check when I'm home, but it's on the standard boost alloys.

The steering will be heavy even if you have PAS if the vehicle is not moving. On tickover there is insufficient hydraulic pressure for the PAS to have much effect. Increasing the engine speed increases the PAS pump speed and hence the pressure, result, the steering effort is reduced.

It really isn't a great idea to turn the steering with the vehicle stationary (on any vehicle) however. It can put a massive load on steering components, it will scrub the tyres, possibly rip up the tarmac or terrain you're on, and is generally unnecessary.
Post #958841 19th Jul 2022 2:06pm
E13

Leamreject wrote:
Check the fluid level… pumps are normally self bleeding with a few lock to lock turns to help it bleed

Fluid level is good

blackwolf wrote:

The steering will be heavy even if you have PAS if the vehicle is not moving. On tickover there is insufficient hydraulic pressure for the PAS to have much effect. Increasing the engine speed increases the PAS pump speed and hence the pressure, result, the steering effort is reduced.

It really isn't a great idea to turn the steering with the vehicle stationary (on any vehicle) however. It can put a massive load on steering components, it will scrub the tyres, possibly rip up the tarmac or terrain you're on, and is generally unnecessary.

I get what you are saying and understand why, however it has never been an issue on any of my previous cars. I usually only move the steering while stationary when doing a 3 point turn. But that is probably beside the point as this is a problem that has developed since I've owned it, so something has changed/broken to cause this.
Post #959037 20th Jul 2022 7:24pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Maybe get someone to check the pressures. Then you can see if it is the pump or the box.

https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/def...stem_test/ 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #959047 20th Jul 2022 8:21pm
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Is this your first defender?

If so, the defender steering system isn’t like a normal car, it’s more like a truck with a chassis mounted steering box rather than a rack.

A box will either have recirculating balls or some other arrangement which is unlike a rack and pinion system.

Just a thought if you’re new to Defenders?
Post #959056 20th Jul 2022 9:14pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
hello,

been visiting for ages just reading but saw this and thought you needed a decent answer.

Check the belt tension on the pump. The belt is behind the alternator belt.

you can tighten it by loosening two bolts on the pump and levering it using the square hole.

The bracket that holds the pump on holds the alternator too and the bolts can become loose.

check these. the one on the front of the bracket is delicate and should be torqued up properly.

Hope this helps.
Post #961407 12th Aug 2022 11:22am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
If it's a Defender 200 Tdi then the correct belt tension should be to have 12mm of deflection.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #961414 12th Aug 2022 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1