Home > Tdi > Repeating Clunk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andrew95

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Corris Grey
Repeating Clunk
Hi Guys,

I am a long time lurker but finally joined up as I am stumped by this problem that has been going on since at least early this year.

So I have a repeating clunk, not a 'turn the radio up' more of a 'the axle just left the chat' kind of clunk. It generally only does it when the engine / truck is warm, it has done it from cold but not as often. It also does it in one of three situations 1) when coasting / rolling to a stop with the foot on the clutch (i.e at a roundabout), 2) when driving slowly in 1st (i.e. moving around a car park) and 3) when you are moving slowly in too high gear (i.e in traffic in second when you should be in first). Its a repeating (clunk clunk clunk) clunk which is very loud and appears to be coming from the front. I have the feeling its something that is 'okay' until it warms up and becomes loose.

So far I have changed (not all necessarily because of the clunk, some were general maintenance):
- Rear A frame ball joint
- Front calipers (both sides)
- Brake pads (all sets)
- Front drive flanges
- Front wheel bearings (both sides)
- Diff and T-Box output flanges
- Replaced clutch slave and master

Its currently with a friend / mechanic who has done some other work and now trying to find the cause which has him stumped.

He has checked the following:
- Front half shafts / CVs (fine)
- Front diff (some play, but he does not think there is enough to cause the clunk)
- Front prop (fine)
- He has also gone over what I have done to check too.
- Replaced clutch

I must admit I am running out of ideas here. Next idea is to go over all the suspension - check for broken / cracked springs, all the bolts are tight and bushes not worn (they all look fine on first inspection).

It could potentially be skipping a tooth in the gearbox or diff (I really hope not), although speaking to my friend he seems to think if that is the case I would probably know about it with diff whine etc. of which there is none.
Post #959717 27th Jul 2022 3:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Make sure your handbrake is not adjusted too tight, a tight handbrake will allow the shoes to snatch the drum and cause exactly the symptoms you describe.
Post #959718 27th Jul 2022 4:03pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
A repeating clunks is generally a CV.
I would remove the front prop shaft and drive it a bit on center diff locked and see if the noise goes away (CVs and front diff are still turning but no load).

Also to note that the front CVs need to be shimmed correctly on the drive member so that CVs are aligned with the swivel king pins. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #959719 27th Jul 2022 4:08pm
Andrew95

Ah handbrake - that's the one I missed off the list. I haven't checked it, and I am not sure my friend has (I have asked him to this morning).

This was another main contender for the problem my thoughts being that it would potentially expand when warm causing the problem, at higher gears the speed would be enough to overcome any 'sticking' and the rare cold clunk caused by general sicking of the components water etc.

Also, correct me if I am wrong I have only seen the handbrake once, the shoes are only on the sides, so there there is a gap top and bottom which would cause the repeating sound / feel.
Post #959720 27th Jul 2022 4:10pm
Andrew95

Dinnu wrote:
I would remove the front prop shaft and drive it a bit on center diff locked and see if the noise goes away (CVs and front diff are still turning but no load).

Also to note that the front CVs need to be shimmed correctly on the drive member so that CVs are aligned with the swivel king pins.

would a CV not be a quieter clicking sound? turning / steering does not seem to have an effect on it.
This really feels like the wheels have just become square and is incredibly loud.
Post #959722 27th Jul 2022 4:11pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Try looking at the Panhard Rod bush drivers side (UK).

On your own it can look ok, with you looking at it and someone else rocking the steering, any play will be seen straight away.

Worth a check. Thumbs Up
Post #959723 27th Jul 2022 4:18pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Andrew95 wrote:
Dinnu wrote:

Also to note that the front CVs need to be shimmed correctly on the drive member so that CVs are aligned with the swivel king pins.

would a CV not be a quieter clicking sound? turning / steering does not seem to have an effect on it.
This really feels like the wheels have just become square and is incredibly loud.

True. On a Defender, the CVs are only for steering movement, not for suspension such as on independent suspension. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #959749 27th Jul 2022 6:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I know you said that you have replaced the A frame ball joint, but were the other two bushes the links to the chassis rubber bushes replaced as well?
Iā€™m guessing that you have, but just thought Iā€™d mention it.

I found getting underneath with the vehicle fully secured and pull everything about by hand can be useful to find some issues, bounce the suspension listen and look for any movement.

Only to a certain extent will it help but if there is a lot of play in a component it will usually show up or you can hear the knock. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ā›½ļøšŸ›¢ļøšŸ‘Øā€šŸ”§šŸ§°āš™ļø RED, WHITE & BOOST! šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Post #959764 27th Jul 2022 9:48pm
Andrew95

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Lee is still certain that the noise / clunk is from the hub area.
He has it for another week or so and hopefully he will be able to sort it.

Talking to him last night we have ruled out the following:
- Handbrake,
- A-Frame (although I am going to check the A-frame arm bushes)
- Both front and rear props
- T-Box
- Clutch
- Front diff (slight play but not much)
- Front half shafts and CVS
- Front calipers

Its pretty much down to something swivel related or suspension of some sorts now?
If lee can't sort it then I am going to start on the suspension I think.
Post #959812 28th Jul 2022 10:22am
Rabbitwabbit

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Stornoway Grey
Check the front shock absorber turret bolts - they're only small, but if loose can make a horrible noise! ----------------------------------------------
1997 Land Rover 110
1981 Range Rover Monteverdi Design Study
1974 Range Rover
1959 Series 2 (Now sold)
1971 Range Rover (Now sold)
1973 Lightweight (Now sold)
1981 Range Rover 4 door (Now sold)
1957 Series 1 LWB (Now sold)
1973 Range Rover (Now sold)
Post #959843 28th Jul 2022 3:18pm
Andrew95

So just a bit of an update - I think it might be solved (sort of?!).

We have gone around the whole truck, everything is tight and as it should be.

The only things we found were that the circlips were missing on the rear half shafts (thankfully it had HD drive flanges on!), I was surprised by that one as I did it myself a few years ago and I must have totally forgot to put them back on for some reason.

There is a slight bit of play in the front and rear diffs but not enough much worry about yet.

We ended up stripping down the front axle and found that the drivers side CV had some wear in it (I know I said it was fine in an earlier post, but when it was all assembled). The passenger side looked fine.

So we replaced the one CV (we are trying not to replace too much at once to try and work out what it actually is) and its so much better. It still does it but a lot lot quieter.

So I think moving forward a front axle rebuild is in order with new CVs and half shafts both sides.
Post #961332 11th Aug 2022 11:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1