↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 130 double cab rear body conversion..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
130 double cab rear body conversion..
Hi all,
Had my 130 for over 3 years, it had a utility rear body that was always ‘temporary’ for me…!

Click image to enlarge

Now whilst we’ll made it was wider than long, with encroaching cupboards on both sides and annoying ( and lethal!)barn doors on the rear..

Plan was to make it usable for both my work landscaping/ timber building construction, and going away in it camping.
Wish list was
Long enough to sleep in
Enough width in the back for a double bed
Useful storage
Possibility of link with cab
Large openings to allow for flaps to be used as hade/ shelter.
Tailgate- love my disco 3 one, great for sitting and allows the rear flap to be higher to aid opening when trailer hitched…
Done on a budget..

So, here we go as a ute..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

No going back now, 2 week trip to French alps booked with son and good lady…3 weeks to go..
Then managed to get covid..
Timing… felt ok so squirrelled away at my workshop and ordered loads of bits and fasteners..
I dismantled the old body to reuse the profiles, hinges and catches, I picked up a sprinter milk float rear body for £150 3 years ago, a sprinter curtain sider that hit a bridge donated its rear doors for £80..
Couple of bits of aluminium angle and box ( for £300..!)and loads of nice fixings..
First was to extend the body to the cab, gaining 50 mm, then to the rear gaining 150 mm. These were in steel box I had.
Reused the old floor stiffeners and wheel arch boxes as they’re galvanised and just right, used the old floor as a template for the new buffalo board one..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then the real thinking started, I never drew it out properly, just let it work itself out.. rear was to have an angled base to allow good access to tow bar and less of a sharp rear end to hit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I profiled the aluminium around the steel to accept the ply and dibond panel sides that slot/ screw in..
I reused the top profile from the milk float, using the roof stiffeners bent to a slight arc to deflect puddling, dibond fitted to that and 25 mm celotex insulation slotted in nicely.. 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility

Last edited by alwoodley72 on 28th Jul 2022 9:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #959804 28th Jul 2022 9:22am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
That there is the dream for my wife and I... Thumbs Up
Post #959806 28th Jul 2022 9:25am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
Next was doors/ openings…
The rear and side door were too large, so a fun amount of time was spent working out how they were constructed, then deconstructing them and cutting to fit..then refitting the seals which was the worst job ever on the hottest day ever..!

Click image to enlarge

Also made the tailgate out of lots of spare profiles, and bathroom thumb catches..! Made stays to keep it level to sit on..
Bit panicky as only a week to go and a lot to do…
Found a cheap (£80) sliding drawer unit from a pickup that fitted in between wheel arches perfectly, greased up and ply lined / buffalo board fronted.. excellent bit of kit, extends nearly a metre and made a table top for it..

Click image to enlarge

Put rams on the flaps, quite a bit of weight and whilst fine in 40 degree heat, not man enough when cool.. reused old catches and locks, extending rods etc.

Click image to enlarge

With both flaps up there’s lovely airflow through the back..

Home stretch, mechanic mate then turned his attention (!) to fixing broken helper spring retainer ( that’s what that knocking was for 2 years..) and replacing the rear shockers with some lovely old man emu ones.. rear shock bushes were so worn I was really, well shocked that the mot had been only 4 months previously..
Also he did a great job wiring in the rear light pod, again over engineered from lots of profile, all wiring on bullets to allow taking body off in the future..

Click image to enlarge

The last bit was a bit of a blur as so little time, 14 hour days at the workshop, fitting front wind deflector/ visor, fridge, roof tent then on with the double bed making and putting a shelf in to fit wolf boxes, area for barbecue etc..

Finally ready and early for our channel tunnel on Monday!
Had 2 night in /on it on the way down, Troyes and annecy, loved it! Now down in st gervais les bains getting ready for a few days into verbiers then Italian lakes…

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hope this inspires others to do the same, I’ll post up some better pics this week if anyones interested! Such a usable vehicle now, wish I’d done it sooner..
Loads of minor mods/ additions but basically love it, hope the other half does too when she gets here later!..
Cheers
Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #959810 28th Jul 2022 9:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Outstanding, turned out very well! Thumbs Up
Post #959818 28th Jul 2022 11:05am
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
Fantastic job! 2011MY 130 HCPU: daily driver
1979MY RRC 2-door: on the drive, in the garage & in a shed - all at the same time.
Post #959823 28th Jul 2022 11:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1