↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Help / Advice please - hitching caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MHE15

England 
Help / Advice please - hitching caravan
Has anyone else had a problem with connecting caravan hitch to car tow ball? I have the electric deployable tow ball and an ALKO 3000 hitch on caravan. There is not quite enough clearance between tow ball and spare wheel to have long handle on hitch in upright position. Same problem when uncoupling. Am I being an idiot and missing something or do people connect up with the back door open? Aside from this problem (oh and finding towing mirrors that fit) it is the best tow car I have driven! Better than my RRS which I had prior to this. Thank you. Michael
Post #959082 21st Jul 2022 9:53am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
I've been hitching up with Alko hitches with the door open on Defenders for 20 years or more......looks like nothing changes. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #959139 21st Jul 2022 7:15pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Alko do a special handle for 4x4s with spare on the rear door

this type of thing

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=...hd6BAgBEEM DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #959141 21st Jul 2022 7:31pm
Nazca sand eddie

England 
I can’t use the fully open door way because normally my jockey wheel handle is in the way.
The way I hitch and unhitch is to unscrew the long torq screw on the Al-Ko plastic handle, remove handle, this allows the two metal arms to move fully upright.
I then hitch up, lower the two metal arms enough to allow the plastic handle to be reattached, and torq screw put back in.

I have now replaced the torq screw with some treaded rod and fixed a wing nut to one end. I can now swiftly unscrew the rod without having to use the screwdriver.

A cheaper fix than the £40 to £60 asked for the 4x4 adaptor, assuming it is still available.

My method sounds time consuming, but actually we are talking seconds to undo and remove handle.
I have read somewhere that once the two metal arms are pushed fully down horizontally that there is no need to leave the plastic handle attached. I haven’t tried not replacing the handle- waiting for someone knowledgeable to comment.
Post #959153 21st Jul 2022 9:08pm
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I always hitch and unhitch our caravan with the door open with no issues.

I sometimes have to raise the rear suspension to clear the jockey wheel Handle when closing the door.
Post #959163 22nd Jul 2022 8:02am
MHE15

England 
Thank you to everyone above for the advice. I decided to buy the 4 x 4 ALKO handle, however, ALKO stopped making this about a year ago and all the online sellers, despite showing ‘in stock’ do not actually have one. So, will now be either removing then replacing the existing handle or opening the rear door. After reading the instructions for the replacement handle (that I cannot buy) it is OK to travel without an handle as long as the stabiliser arms are pushed down. The replacement handle just pushes on then pulls off each time it is used. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Michael
Post #959743 27th Jul 2022 5:20pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
yes the replacement handle is designed to be removed after the levers are down, or up.

might be worth trying ebay for a second hand one they work well and save any messing about

or a shop soiled new one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284900848611?ha...Sw2i5i1SAo DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #959755 27th Jul 2022 6:53pm
Nazca sand eddie

England 
I knew I had read somewhere that it was safe to travel without the plastic handle attached. As long as the two metal arms are fully down. Thank you both for reporting this.

Now there should not be any need to access the 4x4 handle - just undo the torq bolt on the handle. This will allow the handle to be used exactly as the 4x4 handle - saves buying!
Post #959766 27th Jul 2022 8:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1