↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > leaking rear axle seal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
leaking rear axle seal
Saw a puddle starting to form on my right rear wheel... obviously this is NOT good. It's been a tough couple months for my truck (and for me).

Being that I moved to a rural area, it's a 4 hour trip with a 2 hour ferry to get to the local LR repair shop. My 110 was there for WAY too long to diagnose a running issue, which they couldn't figure out. Turns out I had them check the CPS and it was the culprit. * weeks later I get the truck back, first day, starter solenoid pacs it in... 2 weeks to get the parts... so now I'm up and running again... 2 days later... now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get over this hurdle.

So, if I am going to try to tackle this, I'm assuming it's the seal, and if I'm in there I should probably replace the bearing. Does anyone have a list of parts required? I'll need to order everything in, or should I just trailer it back to town at about a £250 expense to get it done?

Looking for opinions and options.

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #959212 22nd Jul 2022 7:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It certainly looks as though it is leaking from the drive flange to hub joint. There is usually a paper gasket on this joint, and it is quite a popular leak. There is actually no reason why you shouldn't use a good jointing compound (such as blue Hylomar) and dispense with the gasket, but be very careful not to get sealant down the bolt holes, since this can cause all manner of problems (they are blind holes and it is fairly common for the bolts to shear).

There is absolutely no reason to suppose that you need new wheel bearings if it is the drive flange leaking, and there is no point replacing them if they are sound.

All the parts info you could ever need is available here: https://new.lrcat.com/
Post #959218 22nd Jul 2022 8:03pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I would only replace the bearings when there is play on them.
And as you have a td5 you probably have a spacer between the bearings. You can change that to a double nut system (say upto 300tdi). With the double nut system you can adjust the bearing play out.
There are plenty off posts about that on this Forum.

It is difficult to see where the oil comes from on the picture. If it comes from between the drive-shaft flange and the hub. I would take the flange off and clean the mating faces from the flange and the hub and use some liquid sealer to seal it.
You can add some bearing grease if needed. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #959219 22nd Jul 2022 8:09pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
It does look like leaking from the drive member. If it was a hub seal leak, I would expect the oil stain to be further inside the rim.
Already got the advise above. What was missed out is that it is a simple job, and you do not even need to remove the wheel. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #959221 22nd Jul 2022 8:15pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Re: leaking rear axle seal
Those flanges look beefy, but the issues will be same as OEM. You can seal it up with a good quality sealant like Permatex “right stuff” or most any good sealant (not silicone). Remove the flange and apply to the surface (after you clean it). Canadian Tire has what you’ll need.

Good luck

CDN38 wrote:
Saw a puddle starting to form on my right rear wheel... obviously this is NOT good. It's been a tough couple months for my truck (and for me).

Being that I moved to a rural area, it's a 4 hour trip with a 2 hour ferry to get to the local LR repair shop. My 110 was there for WAY too long to diagnose a running issue, which they couldn't figure out. Turns out I had them check the CPS and it was the culprit. * weeks later I get the truck back, first day, starter solenoid pacs it in... 2 weeks to get the parts... so now I'm up and running again... 2 days later... now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get over this hurdle.

So, if I am going to try to tackle this, I'm assuming it's the seal, and if I'm in there I should probably replace the bearing. Does anyone have a list of parts required? I'll need to order everything in, or should I just trailer it back to town at about a £250 expense to get it done?

Looking for opinions and options.

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #959235 23rd Jul 2022 3:00am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Check your axle breather is not blocked.
Post #959273 23rd Jul 2022 1:47pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Excellent feedback, exactly as I had hoped. They are KAM flanges I had installed about 5 years ago. (I hear their current product offerings are not the same quality).

I'll clean up the oil, check the breather and see if there's any more leakage. Next step will be the flange gasket replacement. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #959304 23rd Jul 2022 6:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1