↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Gear change much improved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
laundry_man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Gear change much improved
On the main gearbox is the filler plug also the level plug?

The reason for asking the question is that I have up till now been disappointed with the gear change on my defender 90, particularly 2nd and 3 rd gear synchromesh. If you did a quick change the gears would crunch.

The defender has last week been into a local independent garage for its first 12 month service (6000 miles on the clock), and was told the gearbox was low on oil and had been topped up, they didn’t say how much.
How did they know the oil level was low? The gearbox must have been short of oil from new, since there hasn’t been an oil leak.

The result is that the gear change is now near perfect.

Incidentally in the handbook the oil capacity for the Land Rover 6 speed gearbox is 2.4 litres but looking at the Ford manual for the Mustang it says that the transmission capacity of the MT82 6 Speed Getrag gearbox is 2.6 litres. I thought these gearboxes were the same! So is the oil capacity 2.4 or 2.6 Litres? 2004 Freelander TD4 Sport
2010 Defender 90 Hartop
Post #95828 23rd Oct 2011 9:51pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
The Puma capacity id 2.4 litres when new, but 2.2 litres for an oil change ... there must be 0.2litres left in there when you remove the drain.

No the filler is not a level plug. Only way to measure the oil is to take it out & measure it.

Some members on this forum measured the level below the filler IIRC, and it was just a few mm - so maybe the dealer knows it should be a cetrain level under the filler and did it that way?

PS my gearbox is the same, you need to change from 2nd to 3rd really slowly for it to be smooth....not always easy uphill with a trailer - you can lose too much road speed, and make 3rd labour slightly (or overrev in 2nd first)..

Maybe he just put some additives in there? It would be good to know! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #95879 24th Oct 2011 8:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1