↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Standard steel wheels to modular steels?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tgj2001

England 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Caledonian Blue
Standard steel wheels to modular steels?
Hi all,

First post here!

My 90 currently has the standard white steel wheels, but I want to make it less of a farmers chariot and more aggressive looking, so the best choice seems to be modular steels with tastefully obese tyres.

What I’m wondering is;

Is it a straight swap in terms of fitment?

If not, what modifications will need to be made?

Will the spare fit on to the standard back door carrier? (Don’t shoot me, I’ll be getting a spare wheel carrier ASAP!)

Also, what PCD (J number?) will I need, or how can I work this out? (I have a 1991 200TDI 90)

Many thanks,
Tyler
Post #956789 29th Jun 2022 12:35am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The J number is the width of the rim.
An important aspect that you should also be looking is the rim offset. This will state how far in or out your tyre will be in the wheel arch. Positive offset means it will sit more inside the arch than say a rim with 0 offset.

Maybe this thread can inspire you.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic55943.html 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #956790 29th Jun 2022 4:54am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If you buy modulars designed for Defenders then they'll fit your particular one. You'll need to decide on the width of the wheel that you want, determined by tyre choice, and the offset - the distance between the centreline of the wheel and the face of the hub.

Typical widths are 7", which match standard LR alloys, or 8" to give the option of wider tyres than standard. I think modulars go all the way to 10" wide, though.

Standard LR alloys have an offset of +33 meaning that the centreline of the wheel is 33mm inboard of the face of the hub. Similar sized wheels with an offset of zero are common to 'fill the arches' and are essentially the same as fitting 30mm spacers. It all depends on the choice of tyres though, as the calculation changes for different widths.

The bottom line then, is that there will be a modular to suit but you need to decide on the tyre size first. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #956794 29th Jun 2022 6:34am
tgj2001

oh wow Anorak, this is more complicated than I first thought! I'm pretty happy to get hands on, elbow deep in sh*te and tackle the DIY jobs, but J numbers, PCD and offset frazzle my brain! What would a good A/T tyre width be?

As I'm on steels atm, what size could I comfortably go to before things start to rub?
Post #956803 29th Jun 2022 9:15am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Go Large!!!

15x10 Modulars, ET-33 offset Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #956806 29th Jun 2022 9:50am
tgj2001

Wow camel, she's a beast! although the tyre roar must be deafening Laughing

What's the tyre size there? Tyler

1991 Defender 90 200TDI
Post #956838 29th Jun 2022 3:59pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
They are 35x12.5x15. Tyre noise wasnt too bad as they were an AT pattern. Ive got similar sized MTs on now and they're a bit noisier but not.too bad 
Post #956866 29th Jun 2022 10:53pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Good excuse to upgrade the sound system……. Whistle
Post #956889 30th Jun 2022 11:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
tgj2001 wrote:
oh wow Anorak, this is more complicated than I first thought! I'm pretty happy to get hands on, elbow deep in sh*te and tackle the DIY jobs, but J numbers, PCD and offset frazzle my brain! What would a good A/T tyre width be?

As I'm on steels atm, what size could I comfortably go to before things start to rub?

Assuming you mean standard LR rims (not Wolf rims with the holes in them) then they're only 5.5 inches wide, which limits the size of tyre you can fit - in practice, they're only good for 7.50 x 16's. There are other sizes that will fit but they'll either be smaller (205's were factory fit on 90's in the early days) or an odd size that will throw out your speedo reading. There's nothing wrong with 7.50's - in many circumstances they'll perform better than other sizes as they tend to cut through mud to firmer ground beneath - but they're not going to give the look that you're after.

If you go up to a 7" wide rim then it opens up other factory sizes that came in with the introduction of alloy wheels such as 235/85 and 265/75. The former is the de facto standard and the latter were an option on some 90's in the late '90's. 255/85 has also become a reasonably popular size as it's a bit taller but still fits on standard wheels. It only seems to be available in MT patterns though.

None of these sizes will rub the arches but you may need to adjust the lock stops slightly to prevent rubbing on the radius arms, depending on the tyre width and wheel offset that you choose.

Beyond that, you'd really need to go up to at least an 8" wide rim to fit some of the more exotic sizes. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #957110 2nd Jul 2022 10:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1