↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Satin Paint - Living with it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Satin Paint - Living with it
Interested to hear how people are finding their Defender with Satin paint film?

As I understand it, the idea is that the film protects the pint finish underneath; therefore it is a satin ‘wrap’.

It is supposed to be self-healing and the assumption is more durable than standard metallic?

How are owners finding it?
Post #955066 9th Jun 2022 6:33pm
stng110

Australia 
I don’t have the satin version, but I have the gloss version. It is the same film product, but in gloss I believe. It has been great. I’ve been down trails without any evidence of tree rash at all. Done a fair bit of long distance driving on country roads and dirt roads and no evidence of stone chips or scratches either. Can’t even tell its there and the peace of mind is fantastic.
Post #955082 9th Jun 2022 10:04pm
Tim in Scotland

I too have the clear gloss Xpel self repairing and here is a photo of the difference between an unprotected door panel and wrapped door panel after a day out on very dusty trails - no sign of bramble rash on the front door which is wrapped.
The reason for the rear door having no film at the moment is that I have recently had a damaged panel replaced and the film on the door have to be removed for paint “blending” and will be replaced shortly.

Click image to enlarge

This is the still fully wrapped passenger side

Click image to enlarge

One interesting point…….. when I left the trail and accelerated away up the tarred road the Defender following me disappeared into a cloud of dust that was blown off the PPF wrapped bits of the body! I just needed to wash off the wrapped bits with a garden hose - the two panels waiting for replacement film had to be properly hand washed to get the dust off after hiding down. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #955093 10th Jun 2022 8:12am
Mr Fox

Thanks chaps - makes for an interesting read.

I live in a rural area, roads can be narrow, and branch/bramble scratches are going to happen.

The film seems like a decent solution.

Do Xpel or any of the other makers say what happens if you get a door ding on a panel that is wrapped? Is it a matter of getting the dent massaged out and the film should move back with it or do you end up with a 'bubble' and needing to replace the film on the panel?
Post #955301 12th Jun 2022 6:41pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
My installer told me of two cars he’d had in that had been keyed badly. He was surprised to find the panels underneath unmarked so was able to simply replace the film.

I guess in the case of a ding it would most likely need the film replacing after panel repair but in some circumstances maybe not.
Post #955346 13th Jun 2022 12:49pm
Grouse

Can anyone confirm what the costs are for this applied aftermarket?
Post #955369 13th Jun 2022 4:41pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
About 3k for sides only, 5k for whole car.
Post #955403 13th Jun 2022 10:30pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Had my whole car covered for £3k 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #955410 13th Jun 2022 11:54pm
Mr Fox

In fairness to JLR, it would seem their price isn't too far off the market rate.
Post #955458 14th Jun 2022 1:19pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I just don’t have the rear boot door and roof sides done, I keep thinking maybe do the roof (centre is done) I think it’s protected the car.

It does have alignment gaps which I keep thinking is where the stone or tree will catch Mike
Post #955517 14th Jun 2022 8:50pm
Mr Fox

After for waiting 13-months, I was told my 90 was inbound to the dealer; however, I'm now being told this has slipped again and there is possibly another delay. Rolling Eyes

With that said, I'm still debating about having Xpel Satin film added to the bod colour parts and clear film to the black parts.

Has anyone gone the satin route and regretted it? Wondering what it is like to live with.

I know it is reservable but as the install isn't cheap, I'm trying to get opinions prior to taking the plunge.
Post #1015057 14th Nov 2023 9:04am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l can't see any disadvantages of the clear film, apart from the cost.
l wish l had the money to get it done on my 90.
Post #1015058 14th Nov 2023 9:26am
Tim in Scotland

To Xpel wrap my 90 in April this year was £1900, I had the front, bonnet and both sides up to the window line done. In 2020 when I had the same bits on my 110 done it was £2000 IIRC. I also had the bonnet and front wings on my Mini Cooper S E done by the same company for £600. Some kind do,e in a 4x4 with a door hung spare wheel reversed into the bonnet and left a dent each side of the Mini badge, no paint damage, just two dent that I think would have been paint damaging had I not had the film on. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1015100 14th Nov 2023 6:30pm
Jascon

Australia 
Without doubt for me it was probably the best thing I bought when spec-ing my 110. In oz it came in around 6 k which is on pair with after market wraps however the precision of the factory wrap is incredible.I’ve seen the quality of some of the wraps here in North QLD and none of them are as good as the factory one
Post #1015156 15th Nov 2023 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1