↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > Price increases
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Price increases
l ordered a Defender 90 Commercial at the beginning of 2022, delivery is quoted as spring 2023
The total order including options was £50,995

On the configurator today, the same vehicle is coming out at £54,250. Obviously Land Rover are taking advantage of the order backlog to hike prices, they had already deleted the D200 from the configurator when l ordered mine.

My question is, will my order be honoured at the £50,995 on my order form or will l have to pay the huge £3,250 increase?[/u]
Post #954850 7th Jun 2022 6:55pm
soundslegal

United Kingdom 
LR are not honouring prices, in fact whilst they gave an element of price protection from MY22 to MY23 back in October/November, they have withdrawn that protection entirely. So unless your dealer wants to give you a discount (unlikely to be much) you pay the hike or cancel. Mine is up £7k...
Post #954851 7th Jun 2022 6:57pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, that's my Defender dream out of the window then, l had a maximum budget of £50,000, and l
took care with the few options that allowed on the base price.

And they've increased the price so it's close to £55,000

The base vehicle has gone up from £47,250 to £51,000 for what is essentially a van. l doubt Lane Rover or the dealer will care if l cancel my order, when there's an 18 month-2 year waiting list for the Commercial.
Post #954854 7th Jun 2022 7:05pm
XplusYplusZ

I ordered a pretty bog standard 110 d250 x-dynamic S (basically just 7 seats and driver assistance on the base spec), in Oct 21, expected delivery Aug'22.

For me, the MY23.5 would be a £7.5k (14%) increase, for a bunch of stuff I didn't want.

My dealer told me similar to the above comment; "LR are not committing to price protection" - I am struggling to understand how 'price protection' is optional. I thought that by paying a deposit, both parties were agreeing to exchange the product at the price agreed. Reading some contract law, it's verging on bait & switch. But from what I understand, the only legal repercussion is that the consumer has the ability to cancel the contract and get a refund. I can't find anywhere that states LR would have to sell the agreed spec at the agreed price..

Any contract lawyers in here?

Up to this point I haven't broached this topic with the dealer as they told me the factory are still trying to crunch through as many MY23s before switching to MY23.5s. I am very close to having my build slotted, but it's not clear when they'll stop producing MY23s.

I would think spring 2023 is too far out to realistically expect them to be still producing MY23s..
Post #955271 12th Jun 2022 10:15am
nowrxo

Quote:
I thought that by paying a deposit, both parties were agreeing to exchange the product at the price agreed.

Disclaimer: not a lawyer.

By paying a deposit and signing an order form, you've agreed to enter into a contract for the delivery of a motor vehicle, pursuant to the terms of the contract. The provisions of the contact will dictate whether the price of the vehicle is at the time of the agreement is the price you'll pay if there are later price increases.

I have a Porsche Macan on order following my cancellation of my Defender order. The contract for that states that if there is a price increase, the dealer must notify me of the price increase and that if this does happen, I have the right to cancel within 14 days.

So that means if Porsche were to increase the price, not offer any price protection and I still wanted to take delivery, I'd have to pay. I've signed the contract, and I'm bound by its terms.

It's interesting to contrast the LR situation with Porsche:

* Porsche is still producing MY22 cars.
* Porsche does not have .5 model years.
* MY23 is not due until late July/August, though the configurator has been updated.
* For MY22 cars, the only specification change has been to remove electronic adjustment of the steering wheel. This is supposed to be included in the 14- or 18-way seat options, and the price of this option will apparently be reduced to compensate for the change.
* For MY23 cars, there are a few minor option changes (and a few option prices have decreased, believe it or not).
* Option availability does not seem to change every time I speak to/email the dealer.

Porsche doesn't seem to be having as bad a semiconductor crisis as LR, despite them losing a load of cars in a ship fire.

My particular order was placed in early December, and is for a GTS, for which the dealer seem to get around 3 allocations per quarter. I had a provisional build slot by the end of February, though the build date has slipped due to the Ukraine situation. The car has been built and is at the port in Germany waiting for a ship. I suspect I'd still be waiting for my Defender order to be built.
Post #955274 12th Jun 2022 10:43am
SY2022

United Kingdom 
Surely the times were in right now this isn’t fair for LR just to impose a price increase for enthusiasts who have been waiting for their cars for months.
Post #957068 2nd Jul 2022 1:18pm
SY2022

United Kingdom 
They have to honour the prices quoted on the order form
Post #957069 2nd Jul 2022 1:19pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"They have to honour the prices quoted on the order form"

No manufacturer ever has done, nor ever will. The only obligation is to refund your deposit should you not be willing to pay any increased price. The dealer may indeed cut his profit margin to allow you to take delivery at the price shown on the order form, but neither the manufacturer nor the dealer "have to"

Read the small print...

Peter
Post #957081 2nd Jul 2022 1:51pm
nowrxo

SY2022 wrote:
Surely the times were in right now this isn’t fair for LR just to impose a price increase for enthusiasts who have been waiting for their cars for months.

Why would the type of customer matter? JLR isn't a charity. They are a business, and their primary responsibility is to make money for their owners. They're facing increased costs as well (inflation in the UK is 9%, microchips and raw materials are scarce, and Covid is still running rampant), so at least part of the price increase is down to that.

Unfortunately those are the times we're in, and JLR are hardly the only company affected.

As for the order form, read the terms of the contract. All you've agreed is to buy a car from them. You haven't agreed to pay a particular price. If the cost of tyres were to go up to £20K each, would you expect JLR just to swallow the increase?
Post #957108 2nd Jul 2022 8:32pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
In the US consumers are getting fed up with Ford dealers due to mark up. Ford themselves are already looking to sell direct with the 150 Lightning.

The speculation on some of the forums there is that the dealer wants the build slot, doesn't care if the order is cancelled as they will get the vehicle and sell it anyway with their mark up included.

Looking at the Land Rover UK new approved for the Defender the bulk of vehicles are the four cylinder which don't seem to be selling based on the last six weeks of looking, anything that is six cylinder or Phev is stupidly priced and again not selling.

It feels like the attitude (and elsewhere) that they would rather keep prices high and not sell rather that lower and make a sale.....

Oddly in the last eight days i have seen nine Series Ones on the road (including two 107 Station Wagons) and only two new Defenders.

And the inconvenient truth now is can people keep paying the current prices to fill them up. It was £92 to fill up my wife's Velar yesterday from the 20% left in the tank, the van driver next to me paid £154.

Having the chance to test a PHEV Velar seven weeks ago (no PHEV Defenders available) I am not even convinced that is the answer. Amazing acceleration in Hybrid mode, electric range is crap as it it would take my wife to work but not back on electric and there's nowhere to charge it, and the 300 bhp petrol engine on its own was woeful (power and fuel economy) because of the extra weight it has to move compared to the 240 diesel we currently have.

She needs to change her car next year and we can honestly say that we don't know what to do. This could well be her last Land Rover.
Post #957113 2nd Jul 2022 10:07pm
SY2022

United Kingdom 
Valid points
Post #957117 2nd Jul 2022 10:43pm
SY2022

United Kingdom 
PHEV is amazing I find, but the 20 mile range is just ridiculous. Surely they could’ve done better. I guess as time goes technology will improve. Especially with the current fuel prices 🙄
Post #957118 2nd Jul 2022 10:45pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Give it 2-3 years and the first batches of new Defender prices will start dropping as soon as they come out of warranty. No one will want to own one out of warranty, nor pay the extended warranty prices. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #957121 3rd Jul 2022 6:30am
camelman

United Kingdom 
SY2022 wrote:

I suspect most new Def orders aren't for 'enthusiasts ' however Whistle 
Post #957125 3rd Jul 2022 7:58am
J77

Scotland 
SY2022 wrote:
PHEV is amazing I find, but the 20 mile range is just ridiculous. Surely they could’ve done better. I guess as time goes technology will improve. Especially with the current fuel prices 🙄

More range means bigger batteries, heavier vehicle, less boot space, less towing capability. PHEVs will always be a compromise, poor fuel economy and poor EV range. They’re designed purely for short drives in the city rather than lengthy commutes. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #957139 3rd Jul 2022 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>