Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Gear Changes lurch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Gear Changes lurch
I am still having the gear change issue I highlighted soon after taking delivery of my car, despite at least 2 software patches.

Symptoms is when driving at low speeds or coming to a stop, as the car drops moves through gears (either direction) it lurches the car, and the it surges forwards a bit.

I have pulled up to Costa Drive throughs and missed the window as it wont stop where you want because it's doing a down change to 1st gear and surges forward a a bit.

Apart from the fact it just isn't smooth to drive at low speeds and isn't a pleasant experience, my concern is that when I get to take it off road and I'm in low range, if I am trying to manoeuvre really slowly and the car changes gear it could surge me forwards into a damaging or dangerous predicament.

It's really starting to bug me now.

I have an LRE day on July 15th in a D300 Defender so it will be interesting to see how they compare. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #908272 17th Jun 2021 7:59am
kenzle8a

Sounds more sensor / solenoid etc than software, the software can only do what it does if the sensors and actuators are working properly.
Post #908280 17th Jun 2021 8:41am
DeftdDefen

United Kingdom 
When you say lurch, is it also accompanied by a loudish 'thunk'?
I suspect I have an early version of what you are having and it's as you break to a stop the front end sounds like it's downshifting.

PL
Post #954701 6th Jun 2022 1:50pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Did you fix this ?
Post #969759 2nd Nov 2022 6:26pm
DeftdDefen

United Kingdom 
No, nothing on software and slowly getting worse.
1.5 years of warranty left wondering what comes first.
Post #969762 2nd Nov 2022 6:32pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Have you tried taking it to a different dealer?
Post #969786 2nd Nov 2022 9:22pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
DeftdDefen wrote:
When you say lurch, is it also accompanied by a loudish 'thunk'?
I suspect I have an early version of what you are having and it's as you break to a stop the front end sounds like it's downshifting.

PL

I didn't update this but this is what transpired.

Myself and Steven Firth (Shedlock2000 on Youtube) both had the same issue, we termed it gear shift protocols. Land Rover didn't seem interested in fixing it. I couldn't get appointments at my supplying dealer soon enough (was always about 3 months away) and so, as it was at the time that Defenders were going UP in value, I sold it back to an LR Dealer and made 20% profit in 6 months. I walked away.

I'd not rush back to a Defender, there were many things I thought were poor for a high spec HSE model such as:

Quality issues after PDI such as trim not fitted well, weeping headlamp washers constantly, software issues with forward alert and adaptive cruise, juddering brakes (the Brembo pad and disc issue on a TSB) and then build and design issues which I thought were low rent such as:

Std stereo 400Watts is woeful, seats were too flat and not supportive enough, far too little room in the boot of the 110. There were others but its all history now. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #980619 31st Jan 2023 9:52am
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's funny how faults and issues are pretty much accepted on the old Defender despite the run out models costing as much as £60,000
But people expect perfection with the new one and any issues if they can't be resolved mean it's completely unacceptable and the dealer is "hopeless" etc

l have to say l find myself feeling the same, my old Defender had various issues which seemed un resolvable but l just accepted it.

Even a slight rattle on the new one and l am ready to pick up the phone to the dealer and demand a resolution.

l guess expectations rise over the years. lt is possible to build a fault free vehicle. Our 2020 Jimny (hardly a premium priced product at under £20,000) has been totally reliable, with nothing to complain about whatsoever
Post #980764 1st Feb 2023 8:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1