↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Front LT230 OutPut Housing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Front LT230 OutPut Housing
As per title. This was taken off to renew seal, bearing and reseal between housing and main box. Spent the last 7 hours trying to get the housing back in place! As thoughts why this is not happening? It stops about 15mm from being in contact with the main casing. Thank you.
Post #954424 2nd Jun 2022 4:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Assuming that you have the high/low selector housing removed, the most likely causes are that either the front output shaft splines are not engaging in the diff side gear (rattle both front and rear flanges to sort this) or the difflock dog clutch is baulking, which is quite likely if either the difflock is engaged or the difflock mechanism hasn't yet been refitted. If it is the difflock hanging up it should be apparent via the side cover, which I presume you also have removed.

Generally when I am stripping or reassembling an LT230 I pop the difflock selector shaft blanking plug from the front of the housing whilst the difflock shaft is out and refit the front housing without the difflock selector fork, shaft, etc., and refit them once the housing in in situ. I find it easier that way.
Post #954426 2nd Jun 2022 4:55pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf. Thank you for your reply. Yes the High/Low housing has been removed, but I do not know what position it was in when I removed it (hmm). As a last try I removed the output shaft and bearing from the front housing together with the selector fork/shaft and the diff lock dog clutch. it did fit but not without a little bit of a fight. I think it was somehow bulking on the High/Low shaft that protrudes from the main box area! So maybe the shaft is too far forward? I will try taking the diff lock cap out way also.This is my first experience of the LT230 so I am a little green but did and have since read and looked at a lot of information on line prior to doing the job. Really appreciate your help.
Post #954445 2nd Jun 2022 8:46pm
blackwolf

As long as the high/low selector fork hasn't been loosened on the selector shaft it shouldn't be possible for it to be so far forward that it impedes the front housing unless some crud or sealant has made its way into the hole the selector shaft fits in in the front housing. It doesn't matter what position it is in, but it is easier to rattle the gears to get the thing assembled if it is not in neutral at this stage.

Usually it is the output shaft splines or the difflock dog clutch teeth baulking.

Look on the bright side - when you figure it out this time it will be easier next time!
Post #954455 2nd Jun 2022 11:03pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
The H/L selector/shaft has not been touched as such. So later today I will have another go following your guidance and suggestions. As the housing is off the main box can you get the housing side plate back on once you have put in the Diff Lock parts, it looks a little tight for space. Hands on experience is always the best way, so as you say " it will be easier next time".
Post #954459 3rd Jun 2022 7:55am
blackwolf

Yes, the "T"-shaped cover over the difflock selector can be fitted after the rest of the box is assembled, however I am assuming that the transfer box is off the vehicle, it might be different if the t-box is still fitted to the main gearbox (I've never tried it in situ).
Post #954472 3rd Jun 2022 9:56am
Classic110

United Kingdom 
Just an update. Spent more time today looking and trying, but have given up. So out with the TB in the near future Big Cry . Just to confirm you can not remove/refit the T shape cover plate with the TB in situ. Not enough clearance with the tunnel.
Post #954500 3rd Jun 2022 5:22pm
Classic110

United Kingdom 
So just to finish off this thread. Got TB back in on Sunday all OK, no leaks and vibration has gone. Very Happy
Post #955444 14th Jun 2022 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1